Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #15
Patriotic
 
Chuck's Avatar

 
1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,533
Images: 260
well, "to each, his own", right back atcha. But please don't park next to me.
I had one of these things park in the next campsite to me last summer, and it made for an unpleasant couple of days, for me, and everyone else in the area. And for no good reason. These people might as well have been at a truck stop; they were never outside, never enjoyed the campsite's facilities or beautiful lake...I only saw them come and go a couple of times. from the MH, to a car, and off they went. Back from the car, immediately into the MH with the door slammed shut, windows closed, curtains dranw. what the heck is the point of that? But the whole while, all day and all night, this behemoth sat there spewing out industrial noise...even when there was nobody there. Talk about wretched excess, and conspicuous consumption.
(and we weren't parked in like sardines, either. the sites were roomy, and well-spaced out. but even at a good distance, it was quite annoying.).

I can't believe that these things are any bit safer, or more reliable than anything else. They are very convenient, though, and wicked expensive. But for those who have the means...what the heck? the only problem with that is when they foist it on the rest of us.
__________________

__________________
Air:291
Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 436
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
well, "to each, his own", right back atcha. But please don't park next to me.
I had one of these things park in the next campsite to me last summer, and it made for an unpleasant couple of days, for me, and everyone else in the area. And for no good reason. These people might as well have been at a truck stop; they were never outside, never enjoyed the campsite's facilities or beautiful lake...I only saw them come and go a couple of times. from the MH, to a car, and off they went. Back from the car, immediately into the MH with the door slammed shut, windows closed, curtains dranw. what the heck is the point of that? But the whole while, all day and all night, this behemoth sat there spewing out industrial noise...even when there was nobody there. Talk about wretched excess, and conspicuous consumption.
(and we weren't parked in like sardines, either. the sites were roomy, and well-spaced out. but even at a good distance, it was quite annoying.).

I can't believe that these things are any bit safer, or more reliable than anything else. They are very convenient, though, and wicked expensive. But for those who have the means...what the heck? the only problem with that is when they foist it on the rest of us.

As a general rule, rv parks do not allow generators to run? And really, most state parks I have been in have plug in facilities. o-well I may convert this streamer to this type of system over time and I see the genny running only on the road or overnight stops like rest areas and our favorite,,, casinos
__________________

__________________
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,842
If generators are allowed at a campground, I think it has to be so quiet as to have 0 db to not disturb someone. It would also have to have 0 emissions. When it's quiet at night, the best, most muffled, generator can sound pretty loud. I suppose there can be technology to solve that, but I don't know it's here now. Since Airstream's don't come with a generator compartment, it's hard to muffle these things. Batteries are always the weak point as those people trying to design an electric car know. I think it won't be too far away we can get much, much better batteries, but they will be very expensive.

We have been to a few campgrounds—Oregon I believe—that charged extra if you ran your A/C (and that means heat pump too I presume) or prohibited use of them. I don't know whether their power lines were inadequate or electricity was too expensive. The point is that if everything runs on electricity, there are places where you couldn't use it either because the wiring or the rules.

I plan to protect the very vulnerable propane lines this Spring with clear PVC or something like that. Some of them come from the factory with something that looks like PEX around them, but most don't. I don't like propane either, but it's the technology for the masses right now.

So, Safari 28, blaze the way and report what you do.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
Patriotic
 
Chuck's Avatar

 
1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,533
Images: 260
Sure, they allow generators to run...they just have "quiet hours" where they're not supposed to.
In the case I mentioned, it may not have even been a generator; But this thing had all sorts of other loud "machinery" on it, so what does it matter? a/c, furnace, water heaters...all I know is that some roaring noise eminating from this behemoth woke me from a sound sleep early in the morning. I thought it might have been a water heater, but it ran for so long...maybe tankless? but you'd think that the grey tank would have filled to overflowing in that time. I know, they're big too, but still...?
These were full hookup sites, but they never hooked up anything. why should they? no need. everything is on board...just flip a switch. why go to the trouble of bending over to pull a cord out? I know several MH-ers personally, that don't often hookup. They'll do 3 or 4 weekends before dumping. why bother?

anyway, aside from the noise issue, having multiple sources of energy gives you flexibility.
__________________
Air:291
Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
all I know is that some roaring noise eminating from this behemoth woke me from a sound sleep early in the morning.
Maybe it was a mobile meth lab. They have to do something to pay for those things.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 436
Images: 1
Hey guys, sitting in a pilot rv park in pendelton oregon. Kinda of a neat set up, behind a huge pilot travel center/travel center/truck stop. Anyway, damn cold, about 26 degrees.Plugged in, heating the streamer with 2 ceramic heaters front and rear and very cozy. MUCH quieter than than the propane furnace, and next door is a huge SOB and his propane furnace rumbling away. So,as far as noise goes, I win in this neighborhood tonight.

I was talking to a trucker at the fuel depot and his genny is a kubota diesel for the a/c and heat pump on his new tractor. claims to much quieter that all night idling. I think with some work I can make this a reality.

Gene heading to Ft Collins and looking for indoor storage for the streamer anywhere from denver to wyoming. Do you know of any one who at least has covered storage in the front range? The ride back to Michigan looks rough this year.
__________________
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,842
Safari28, I don't know anything about Ft. Collins except that my wife went to college there. We live on the other side of the state. Maybe you could start a thread about storage in Ft. Collins. Good luck.

Looks like we're going to be learning stuff from you about alternatives to propane. Both propane and diesel prices have stayed high with the collapse in the world oil market, so costs of going electric may not be too different.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
 
1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 178
Mark,

do you have the model number for the replacement robertshaw thermostat?
I have a 1972 International with the Magic Chef wall oven and my thermostat quit working. I am looking for a replacement.

Steve
__________________
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #23
Enthusiastic New AS'r
 
3campers's Avatar
 
1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 155
Images: 18
My situation is similar but different...I can light the pilot... I can turn the oven on...usually have to crank it all the way up to get it to light...when I close the door and a minute goes by , the oven shuts off but the pilot stays lit... Grrr can't figure this out...
__________________
1985 31' Limited
2003 GMC Sierra HD SLT 4x4
3campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #24
Site Team
 
, Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,940
Images: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by loechli View Post
Mark,

do you have the model number for the replacement robertshaw thermostat?
I have a 1972 International with the Magic Chef wall oven and my thermostat quit working. I am looking for a replacement.

Steve
I used this item. This type of controller does not use a thermocouple or have a safety valve. But that's what they did in 1959.
__________________

__________________
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.