Old 01-27-2008, 06:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I don't understand the microwave issue either. The wife and I are thinking about trading our Safari for an OB 25, but the units in stock do not have a microwave like our Safari. Some have the combo oven but none near us.

Wavebox Video
YouTube - WaveBox Portable Microwave

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:59 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Franklin , Tennessee
I sent an e-mail to Wavebox and here is the reply: wow, the FDA!

Gerry,

We very much appreciate your interest in the WaveBoxTM – the worlds first and only portable microwave lunchbox!

Cooking times in AC 115v and direct to battery mode are like your home microwave. A cup of hot water takes maybe 2 minutes to get hot enough for coffee. Heating times when using DC through a 20amp power outlet are about double that.

Unfortunately, the wait for the WaveBoxTM in the United States goes on due to final pending approvals from the FDA. The final approval date is unpredictable because the FDA works on a schedule that is theirs alone. We are hopeful that we will be able to ship in the next 45 days, but we really cannot predict the FDA timing – it could be longer. Rest assured, the WaveBoxTM is a safely built, well performing product, and the FDA approvals are close to completion.

To note, we are currently selling the WaveBox in European markets, and will be in touch with all of our European customers who have been waiting shortly. All other major global markets, including Canada, will be served in the next 2-3 months.

Once we receive FDA approval, we will email you to advise that its time to order your first-off-the-production-line WaveBoxTM. At that time, you may enter your credit card information and actually pay for a WaveBoxTM. You have no obligation to do so, but we will hold your premier delivery spot in line for 30 days after we are ready to take orders. We will also announce at this time any retail locations where you may find the WaveBox.

Thank you for sticking with us – and we look forward to sending your WaveBoxTM soon.

Regards,

Bob
The WaveBox Team

Looks like we will wait a while to test one, but it sure sounds like something worth considering.

Gerry

Old 01-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi nangoff...

buy one and tell us about it!

looks interesting, but with only 235 watts of 'power'...

this might work just as nicely.

really it appears to b more 4 the tail gate/tent camper crowd...

cheers
2air'
About the funniest darn thing I think I have ever seen you post Joe!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nangoff
Kai/Samm, Do you know the Panasonic Part Number?

Thanks,

Gerry
The model number is NNSD377S
Dimensions are 12.8"Wx8.6"Hx13"D
Weight: 26lbs.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Tennessee
Kai / Samm.......I think the dimensions you list are inside dimensions..The outside dimensions are as follows: I have a depth and a weigh pronlem. Gerry
  • Width: 19"
  • Depth: 14-5/16"
  • Height: 11-1/8"
Old 01-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
The Tappan that came in our A/S is 17-7/16" wide x 9-5/8" high x 14-3/16" deep. It's AC only and 550 watts. Here is a link to that model. It's ok for warming stuff up but I've not been able to make microwave popcorn in it.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That's disappointing to hear since I am considering having Airstream retrofit my pantry with that microwave. Years ago we had a small low wattage combination microwave from Sears and the tip for popcorn was to put the bag on an upside down corelle plate. But I do think the wattage was 600. Though when you gotta have popcorn I could make it the old fashion way. I sure would like the convenience of quick heating with minimal clean-up from dirty pans and dishes often time, especially when there are no sewer hook-ups and we are watching the holding tank levels or winterized.

Did you see the alternative unit listed on that link of Dennis'?

Small Microwaves - Small Contoure Microwaves for boat, RV and home use - SailorSams.com

This Small Microwave Oven is brushed finish stainless steel on the outside, and white on the inside.

Shallow DepthMicrowave Oven model ICM-CM7060S

Capacity: 0.6 cu. ft.Power Consumption:1150 Watts average at full power (may actually be more or less due to tolerances). Powering an Appliance with an Inverter.Power Output

(cooking power):
Cooking Power 700 watts.

Note: Input power required is greater than power output. Voltage: 120 Volts AC, 60 Hz (normal USA household power)Shipping Weight: 30 lbs.Outside Dimensions: 17" wide x 10-1/8" high x 12-3/4" deep

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	contoure_microwave_cm7060S.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	53270  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Carol,
The unit is only 1/2" higher than the Tappan. The other dimensions are less than the Tappan. I'd think the extra 21% in power would make quite a difference. If it would fit, I'd opt for it.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I like the finish too. Thanks for your input. Nice to know what is what beforehand. I am sure their mod is not inexpensive.

photography
Old 01-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
This one is SMALL:

iwavecube Personal Microwave - Best of The Sharper Image

"The innovative Iwavecube personal microwave has all the electronic controls and safety features you expect, but it takes up less than a cubic foot of space. Plug it in anyplace thatís handy ó work or home office; home gym; family room; nursery; wet bar; dorm room; work bench; pool house.everywhere! The quiet, super-energy-efficient iwavecube measures just 10″ x 10.5″ x 12″ and weighs only 12 lbs. Features a built-in carry handle and view-through door. Plugs into standard outlet."
Old 01-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Tennessee
You know, there are about 15 manufacturers making what is essentially the same sized product, makes one believe that a few years ago someone came up with a new smaller microwave transmitter and everybody jumped in to wrap a product around it. The Iwavecube above (thank you very much for this post, I plan on going to see it at one of the Sharper Image stores near here) and the Wavebox above may be the first two products of a coming avalanche of products (and falling prices) based on the new technology. In any event it's good to see that there appears to be a percieved market for yet smaller microwaves for us who need one. Thanks, Gerry
Old 01-28-2008, 12:15 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, I find it facinateing that my plain jane, BVD, basic Safari comes standard with a stove top, oven, and microwave; And some of these high dollar, fancy, schmancy models come with a stove top and an oven or a microwave, but not all three.
ya...and it has a couch and soft walls just like a classic. And windows that don't leak...and MORE insulation,,,,I am liking that "B" model better everytime I look at one.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdamer
This one is SMALL:

iwavecube Personal Microwave - Best of The Sharper Image

"The innovative Iwavecube personal microwave has all the electronic controls and safety features you expect, but it takes up less than a cubic foot of space. Plug it in anyplace thatís handy ó work or home office; home gym; family room; nursery; wet bar; dorm room; work bench; pool house.everywhere! The quiet, super-energy-efficient iwavecube measures just 10″ x 10.5″ x 12″ and weighs only 12 lbs. Features a built-in carry handle and view-through door. Plugs into standard outlet."

I went to a Sharper Image store today to check out this Microwave and it is a fine little machine. I'd rate it very good (we plugged it in and cooked some coffee) at jobs that will fit inside it. Certainly not a 1200 watt screamer, but for a small unit it is impressive. As I recall its rated 600 watts input, 330 watts cooking. Its very light, very small, very cute, and will fill the bill for our light microwaving needs. Gerry
Old 01-31-2008, 12:08 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Can you get anything other than a cup inside? What other things might it be useful for?

photography