Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
WANTED: Magic Chef Oven Thermostats

CALLING ALL THERMOSTATS!! Project help needed.

I want your used, old, inoperative oven thermostat. Will gladly pay postage for you to send them, buy them if you want.

I'm collecting used oven thermostats from 1960's Magic Chef trailer/rv/home ovens. These were made by Harper-Wyman and Robert Shaw etc.

HW 5345 is the main part number hunting for, all models wanted for project. Part Number is stamped on rear plate above thermocouple connection. Mine simply says 5345.

I KNOW these are obsolete / No Longer Available/ can't be resold due to liability issues.

I have 3 Very well paid electrical engineers, 2 mechanical engineers and 2 Engineering Technicians on staff with WAY too much time on their hands this time of year. They are convinced these can be reverse engineered and/or cobbled together to make a few working units (it may take five to make one?).

If an antique gas stove business can rebuild them for $265 each...they Are rebuildable. First we have to figure out what goes bad: Thermocouple or switching valving etc.

No business venture here, NOT SELLING OVEN PARTS, just want to fix mine (properly and safely) and be able to then help others fix theirs. All I want is your thermostats (and then baked cookies).

DON'T TRASH YOUR OLD OVEN>SEND ME THE EASILY REMOVED THERMOSTAT AND SAFETY VALVE.

Please help project:
Walter AOP (Airstream Oven Project)
PO Box 329
Foresthill, California
95631-0329

Thanks, (I know this is long thread, explosive topic and a Fool's Errand)

Walter
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I "think" my old oven is buried in the shed.

I will try to find it however it will be after Christmas before I will be able to search for it.

Will let you know one way or another.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
PERFECT!
Thanks, just the help I'm after. I know there are a bunch of these buried sheds out there. If we can scrounge enough of them, and risk blowing up MY guys, we may find a solution.

Anytime you come across it, I'll still be looking for them.
Thanks,
Walter
Old 12-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Can you post a photo. I have a Magic Chef that I remove from my '74 Argosy. The oven controls are still there.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Godspeed. I don't have any parts or expertise to send but it warms my heart to see projects like this move forward.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Thanks folks. Folks here have been SO helpful for years in keeping my 64 Safari traveling...now I want to give back by helping us ALL bake cookies. (and put these kid engineers to work).

I'll try, don't know how to upload photos.

Any 1940s-1970s Airstream oven thermostats wanted.

What makes them tick??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Walter's Camera 127.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	117259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Walter's Camera 058.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	342.8 KB
ID:	117260  

Old 12-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
That thermostat is not obsolete; I bought one for our 71 Sovereign in 08 or 09. I can't remember the name of the company, because it's no longer in my favorites, but if you search on this site, I'm pretty sure I remember posting about it...IIRC, they were in Illinois and the price was acceptable. I'd hate to see you go through all that trouble for nothing, if they're still available.

I just found the link: http://midwestapplianceparts.com

IIRC, the guy I spoke to was Matt.

Good luck.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I bought a Robertshaw Type BJ for my 1958 Magic Chef "Princess" a couple of years ago for $125. Got it from Stoveparts.net

From your pictures I think it would fit in your 1964. You may need to modify the trim a little for access to the pilot adjustment needle valve.

What makes them work is this:

1. If the oven cannot maintain temperature it means the diastat is probably sprung. This is the only part you might be able to repair with scavenged parts from another thermostat.

2. If the oven overheats, it means the fluid has leaked out of the capillary and bulb, or the capillary is pinched. You won't be able to repair with spare parts.

Good luck!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
That thermostat is not obsolete; I bought one for our 71 Sovereign in 08 or 09. I can't remember the name of the company, because it's no longer in my favorites, but if you search on this site, I'm pretty sure I remember posting about it...IIRC, they were in Illinois and the price was acceptable. I'd hate to see you go through all that trouble for nothing, if they're still available.

I just found the link: Appliance Parts from Midwest Appliance Parts, Appliance Part Service, Chicago, Water Filters, Appliance Parts Chicago

IIRC, the guy I spoke to was Matt.

Good luck.
too funny i just found out the sensor tube on mine is broken so i came in the house and found this....i went to the website but didn't have much success so i decided to call....i was greeted with a whole lot of impatience and stupidity...i guess calling on a friday is a bad idea.
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
i just need the thermo coupler for mine. anybody have any idea where i can find one of those. and if someone is selling them online does anyone know of a model # other than 5345
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
Durham , Maine
Walter

I'm collecting used oven thermostats from 1960's Magic Chef trailer/rv/home ovens. These were made by Harper-Wyman and Robert Shaw etc.

HW 5345 is the main part number hunting for, all models wanted for project. Part Number is stamped on rear plate above thermocouple connection. Mine simply says 5345.
Walter[/QUOTE]

Good evening Sir,
I have picked up an unknown year canned ham. Today I set off to test the lp items, stove top and oven plus all connections. Everything was going well except the oven would not ignite, but it did have a tiny pilot light.
Pulled the oven out, opened the gadget that lets lp into the burner, everything was fine.
Opened the thermostat connected to the knob and the spring with the brass "piston" fell out and I did not catch the correct order to replace them.
I studied it and placed it back the best way I could image. So, the stove has its pilot light, and it will light the oven burner just fine.
Now the issue is that I have no temp control, its either on or off. I checked the temp with digital and it just climbed up and up, so I shut it off.
Now wondering if I put the spring and brass piston back correctly or not.
Can you describe or better draw the correct position of the spring and brass parts in the thermometer? Course a photo would work as well.

Thank you
Guy Duke
Maine
Guy Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:58 PM   #12

Vintage Kin Owner
Missoula , MT
looking for one Magic Chef thermostat

I realize this thread is now a little old, but I wonder if anyone has a Magic Chef Oven Thermostat (part 5345 as I see others posting here) that I could purchase? Or maybe I could have mine repaired? Any leads would be really appreciated.
We took out our 65 Avion Sportsman this weekend, and I baked a cake in the oven. I had to babysit the oven the whole time because, well, the thermostat doesn't work! Burners and pilot work great, though.

Thanks everyone!
Marilyn
mjmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
We are also (I think!) in need of a thermostat for our Magic Chef oven in our new 1966 Safari. The PO said the oven will just heat and heat until you turn it off. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Thanks so much!
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #14

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakland , Maryland
I just bought a '72 Land Yacht with a Magic Chef oven. The thermostat is still in tact and we are planning on taking it out. Do you think it will work with yours? If so, I'd be willing to send it to you.
afadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #15

Vintage Kin Owner
Missoula , MT
We found a thermostat from a kind spirit in WA state. Some are set but maybe Rhino333 would like it? Thanks for being so considerate. Best wishes.
mjmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino33 View Post
We are also (I think!) in need of a thermostat for our Magic Chef oven in our new 1966 Safari. The PO said the oven will just heat and heat until you turn it off. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Thanks so much!
And another question - the PO mentioned that a mouse had made a nest in the oven with what appeared to be insulation. He never tried the oven after than because he knew the thermostat was bad and then he was concerned that the insulation came from the walls of the oven. I realized when photographing our thermostat and the 'bulb' located in the oven, that there is a rectangular cut out in the top rear of the oven. Is that just for the vent? And what is your opinion as to if the oven would be safe to use if I were able to replace the thermostat?
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Old 10-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
And the photo of said 'hole'... which of course I now realize is upside down. Sorry!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1039.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	325455  
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157

Tags
magic chef