Old 10-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
Markdoane,

My pilot stays on when the oven is off- there are two pilots for the oven, a big one that stays lit, and a secondary that lights, and then the burner lights when the oven is turned on. Once the pilot in the oven is lit, you can just turn it on or off at will, same with the cooktop burners. When the burners and oven are off, but the pilot is lit, I smell the gas, and it's noticeable after about 5 minutes. When I turn on a burner or the oven, the gas smell goes away (maybe the burner releases the pressure in the manifold and the leak is reduced?) I'm all over the new valve idea, thanks to all of you for the valuable information.

Sorry Globie, I have a different thermostat and I don't want to diagnose something I'm not familiar with. I don't think the thermostat I linked to above is the same as the one in your oven.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
More photos of what my oven looks like on the inside. To be honest I am not even sure there is a pilot light in the oven... I will have to rehook it up tomorrow and check it out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030654.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	578.9 KB
ID:	171005   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030655.jpg
Size:	599.2 KB
ID:	171006  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030657.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	171007   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030658.jpg
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	171008  

Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
As to the gas smell, the only way to find it is to use a leak checking solution. We used to use a product we called 'Gorilla Snot". It was thick and green! It comes in an 8 oz bottle and I believe you can find it at HD. It's called gas leak detector by Highside. It has a dauber attached to the cap and will cling to the surface being tested and even the smallest leak can be found. I suspect that you have a leak where the pilot gas line connects to the pilot burner. The ferrule connection on the line might be loose and many times, with a gas ferrule, these are a one shot deal. If it leaks, you need to cut the line or remove it and install a new pilot gas line and new ferrules. That will most likely solve it. Also, be sure that your pilot flame is not too high as it will cause soot if it's burning orange and that might be what you are smelling. As to oven temps, if you need to recalibrate it the oven thermostat, if adjustable, will have a small screw, usually in the shaft. Just remember "CLOD" Clockwise to Decrease. Holding the shaft, an 1/8 turn of the calibration screw should make about a 10-20 degree difference. Check it with a quality oven thermometer; not the retail store types. Get one at a restaurant supply or if you have a thermocouple for your DVM you can use that. Be sure after each screw adjustment, you let the oven stabilize for at least 15 minutes before rechecking the temp. Now if you don't have an adjustable thermostat, the know itself might be adjustable. Just pull it off and look on the back of it.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Thanks for everyone's replies..very helpful!!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #19
Site Team

, Minnesota
The smaller diameter aluminum tube is the pilot.
You light the oven by holding at match at the end of the steel tube that sticks out the front, which lights the main burner, then the pilot lights itself from the main burner. The pilot will stay lit as the burner cycles on and off, then will extinguish when you turn the thermostat to OFF.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
rebuilding my original oven is on my winter to-do list so this thread is a great help. Anybody know what kind of insulation to use and where to source it?
tim
Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #21
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
It's actually called stove insulation One source is...

Vintage Stove Parts for Appliances Springs Cables & Insulation O'Keefe & Merritt Gaffers & Sattler Wedgewood Western Holly Wedgewood Holly Tappan

Make sure you document your restoration for all of us!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
I believe another source is The Old Appliance Club Shop
Old 10-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
WOW, great information
thanks and I will post as soon as I start- promise!
tim
Old 12-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
I have a 77 overlander I am restoring and just used the oven for the first time with good results. However, now the oven won't shut off at range control (shut gas supply to oven off). Do you think this is the thermocouple or regulator? What's it like to fix? Appreciate suggestions