Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2015, 01:31 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Enghien , Hainaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donster View Post
This info was excellent as I have a '67 with the original oven and mine is nearly identical. At this point I have taken out the parts for the pilot on my oven. My blockage appears to be in the last piece of pipe. What sort of solvent did you use? I have a can of Carburetor Cleaner with a basket that I was thinking of dropping the parts in that. Advice?
Hi, This thread was very helpful to me as my oven didn't work since 2 years.
The problem was the coggling of the heater pilot pipe.
I used car injector cleaner, brand STP. I assume carb cleaner is ok too.
I don't have the manual, but still wonder how is the constant pilot controled. I mean wat's happen if this constant pilot is blast? Gas leak? As far as I can know the is just a small valve on the common gas ramp under range, that is feeding the constant pilot, that's all?
Thanks again for this good thread.
Mister D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Mister D, did realize that your post is the first on this thread for over a year? You might have better luck answering your question by sending a Personal Message (PM) to one of the posters.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I posted elsewhere about this, but I gave up on the old range. It needed replacement parts that we no longer available- I figured out after LONG online searches. The oven valve contains mercury and is no longer available, or easily rebuilt. Mister D, it may be something you can find in Europe, or have rebuilt. I opted for a new marine grade range, expensive but comparable quality to the original unit in my trailer. You can get a version that has a similar look to the original, a simple stainless door with a window in it.

Mister D, I was curious about your location and googled it. What a great place to have a trailer, I'd love to take one to NW France/Belgium/NL. I once hitchhiked from Brussel's to Ghent, Brugge and Oostende, then to Paris... in late fall. Beautiful area.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
Oven Controller - Thermocouple

I've taken out the whole pilot controller unit from the back of the oven. I don't see a way to remove the thermocouple. I think that might be the problem, but I'm not certain. Is it replaceable, or do we need a whole new controller unit. Any ideas on how/where to source the replacement? My local appliance repair guy just looked at it, shaked his head and then handed it back.
- Mark Twain

bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:21 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Enghien , Hainaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
I posted elsewhere about this, but I gave up on the old range. It needed replacement parts that we no longer available- I figured out after LONG online searches. The oven valve contains mercury and is no longer available, or easily rebuilt. Mister D, it may be something you can find in Europe, or have rebuilt. I opted for a new marine grade range, expensive but comparable quality to the original unit in my trailer. You can get a version that has a similar look to the original, a simple stainless door with a window in it.

Mister D, I was curious about your location and googled it. What a great place to have a trailer, I'd love to take one to NW France/Belgium/NL. I once hitchhiked from Brussel's to Ghent, Brugge and Oostende, then to Paris... in late fall. Beautiful area.
Hello, Globe64.
Sorry for the late reply, but I don't often receive notifications,...
Good idea to come here, but I would not advise you to come late fall. The tourists are most coming early spring to early fall. Sooner or later you won't find any opened campsite. In the close Brussels area you won't easy find one, anyway.
Campsites are mostly located outside the big (in the U S, you would say small :-) ) cities.
Remember also that Belgium is also known for her rainy climate... But there are many sites to visit here. Other thing you should know, is that you will never find a trailer to hire here, and certainly not an Airstream. Our Euro vehicles can't handle the hitch weight anyway. Our trailers have a max hitch weight of 80kg. Thats a half of our Airstream's.
I wish you already a pleasant stay when you come this side of the ocean.
All best.
Dan
Mister D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Hey Dan,

Thanks for the note. I've become familiar over the years with the climate in northern Europe. Our next trip is in the spring, to Germany to see family. I see European camping cars for sale online occasionally, and it is appealing as a way to explore. Cheers!
Old 08-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
This thread has been great! Glad I found it.
The magic chef from my 67 is going in tomorrow to an appliance fellow I know to check over before it goes back in the trailer. For safetys sake. If he can get the oven going even better.
I'm going to print this thread off for him.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:05 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
Found a source to get a new/replacement pilot controller here:

http://www.erepco.com/catalog

Replaced the old one and cleaned out both gas the supply lines with carburetor cleaner and pressurized air to blow out anything.

Works great now!
- Mark Twain

bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
More Magic Chef photos and of course a question...

Need tips for cleaning the cooktop pilot flame area. It just 'puffs' when a lighter is present.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7115.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	274741   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7116.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	274742  

Name:	IMG_7117.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	274743   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7119.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	274744  

Name:	IMG_7122.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	274745  
TDOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:49 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Camino , CA
My problem is that the pilot light will light though it's sputtering, and it will light up the next light no problem, but it won't disperse to the larger tube that it's supposed to in order to have a fully functioning oven. I'm trying to take it apart to clean but it's so ancient and rusted together. Any ideas what might be the issue?
Maggieoknapp is offline   Reply With Quote