Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2007, 01:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
New Orleans , Louisiana
upgrade to convection microwave on 1997 International CCD28

I bought a 2007 International 28 today, which will be delivered next Tuesday. I almost got the Safari 25FB SE because the 28's didn't have the microwave convection option and the dealer said Airstream factory sells it for $700 plus shipping and plus dealer install. I have not completely taken leave of my senses, and cannot imagine paying that price for a microwave upgrade. Any other less expensive way to go?

I haven't slept in the last 5 days; decided to go for it on Monday; drove to the dealer to look that day; managed to work 3 days (in between obsessing about which model); went back today in blazing Louisiana heat and bought it. Must sleep now; silver dreams....
rnhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Sweet

What a nice way to start your Airstream streaming. Although we have a Safari 25FB/SE, the International 28 CCD was the model we first lusted for after our first trip to the dealer. You couldn't go wrong with either....congratulations and welcome to mania central.

John
Old 08-11-2007, 06:33 AM   #3
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
A microwave oven for $700?
If this was 1978 that may be about right.

There are so many cool ones out there now...
Stainless, black, round, square and way under $200

I would get the convection type though...once you try one you will never go back
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
rnhunter -- Congrats and welcome to the Forums! Cosmotini was the hit of the June midwest rally with his new International 28. It was a beauty! He got the optional roadside & rear awning which I liked. The microwave in the pantry is great. I don't know if his was convection... but klattu is right. We're just beginning to understand ours and get full use out of it. Ours is a Sharp and they did stovetop + convection for the same price as a stovetop-oven. My model number was out of production IIRC. I'd bet somebody with a 27' FB Classic would have the model # -- I'll PM member wheel interested. I'd think all you'll need is to take some measurements and get to a Best Buy...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
rnhunter; Welcome to the forum and the airstream family. You'll really like the convection microwave once you get the hang of it. Our previous AS had one.
We'll have to get together at Lake Enid when it cools off a bit in MS!

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Sorry I can't be of help with the microwave because ours does not have one. We have the conventional oven and the pantry/microwave option was not available at the time. I certainly am missing it though. At a June rally I had to send my food out to be zapped and this past rally someone made up a dish and turned around and said now only to pop in your micro I am wanting to put one on a slideout in the cabinet above the pantry if I can find one 12-12 1/2 inches deep or less. The cabinet facing may have to be trimmed open a bit. The pantry install is another option. It hasn't been horrible without one but everyone is amazed I don't have one in a new Classic.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:33 AM   #7
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
2 in 1

Before you add a secound unit...
Think about getting one that has both microwave and convection.
Ours is like that and really works great.

Most frozen foods I used to zap, get convectioned now.
Flakey crust instead of rubber biscuits.

I've taken stuff out to the MH from the house to cook cause its so much better.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
_

. , .
hi rn' and welcome to the forums...

the units a/s uses are under 300$ depending on model...

which changes every few years...

until recently the sharp model they used was available at wally world...

search 'convection' and many threads will appear.

here is a useful one...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f426...ded-29635.html

IF your unit has a standard microwave, a combo will fit in the same space and use the same outlet.

there are many location/install options.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:36 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
New Orleans , Louisiana
Talk about feedback!!

This is clearly an active community. Thanks for all the welcomes and suggestions.

The main thing I am unclear about is: short of replacing the recgular 3 burner/oven with the 3 burner/microwave-convection underneath the burners-- where would I add another microwave/unit. The 28 international doesn't seem to have a spot; (of course I was only in it for 5 minutes at a time all afternoon yesterday; and it was at least 120 degrees in there, so my memory is hazy to say the least)
If I do replace the regular oven/cooktop and get a convection-microwave /cooktop (not $700!!); how hard is it intsall, and what are my choices for that space.
The way I live; I rarely use a regular oven except Sister Shubert's rolls; but I regularlly eat microvave popcorn for supper when I've had a crazy day.

I guess that last statement begs for an explanation: I bought the Airstream because I work anywhere from 2-4 hours from my home during the week. I will probably have to it move 2-3 times a year. I don't even own a suitable tow vehicle, nor do I want one at this time. I plan on paying someone to haul it from project to project.

I am so psyched I still cannot sleep. By the time Tuesday rolls around I will be a zombie.
rnhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
My personal fave at June's Midwest rally was cosmotini and his new 28' FB CCD. Wow! I did PM him -- don't know if he has the convection. Here's what I saw in his Airstream - the microwave space had a separate door and pulled out at about rib height. There was a pantry door below that and a small pantry door above it. The extra cabinet work may be part of the $700 charge. Airstream also may have quoted a change fee to your dealer -- which would jack the price. So maybe these additional factors are why the price is so much higher than just the microwave.

I have the convection microwave under the stove burners and don't miss an actual oven... yet. It's going to take us a couple more years before I can conclusively say that was a good idea -- but I think I'll feel the change was the right way to go. Only problem is that the oven works without a generator running and the convection microwave demand puts any genset into very noisy high-output mode. See this.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 08-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
_

. , .
unless a/s is using a new model of stove top,

the 3 burner gas stove top is not connected to anything, except gas...

mine has wooden drawers under it...

the gas oven is a modular unit....

the mic/convec is a free standing unit...

many have the mic/convec locationed UNDER the burners, they are 2 different appliances.

others have it ABOVE the burners or sitting on the counter or in a drawer or mounted under the overhead storage...

lots of options anywhere near a 110 ac outlet...

installation is shown in the previous link post #8.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Good point...no power required for a gas oven...
Now what we need is a gas convection oven.
What would that be? just add a fan inside ?
Old 08-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
The microwave in our 27' FB International CCD is only a microwave. It's not a very powerful one at that. I think it's only 500 watts. It's good for re-heating leftovers but I haven't had much luck with microwave popcorn.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Re-reading the first post, I see they are referring to a 28' CCD and not the 27' FB like we have now.

Here is a link to a thread I started when we had our 28' CCD. It's the same subject.

I took it to the factory and had them modify the galley roof locker because there was no place for a microwave.

The Airstream guys were wondering why they didn't do this in the first place.

I bought a microwave at Home Depot for $50 and it worked out well. I never permanently mounted it on the shelf, I just set it on the bed when towing or in storage.

The nice thing about this arrangement is you could get whatever type or brand of microwave you wish as long as it fit the space.

Having this done was less expensive than switching out the existing oven with a stove top and convection microwave. I got quotes for both.
Hope this helps.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Mulino , Oregon
convection microwave

Hello Cosmotini,
My 1995 Excella (rear bedroom twins without dinette nook) has a convection microwave next to the fridge on the road side; the 3 burner cooktop is on the curbsie next to the door. For this configuration a gas oven could fit below the cooktop but we would loose the satorage space which is ideal for cooking pots and pans. There is one issue when you convert to a convection microwave; that is it must be on the 20 amp circuit ( my Sharp shows a FLA of 16 amps and assuming your unit was built with a 30 amp umbilical cord, there is not sufficient ampacity to run both the convection microwave and your air conditioner. This caused a NEC and some state's electrical code oops, and more importantly a CSA violation which was corrected by Airstream sometime mid year in 1995 model year production if I remember correctly and thereafter by adding a transfer switch to the 20 amp circuit so only one of the two units (convection microwave or the A/C unit) could be used to prevent overloading. The switch location varies from model and floorplan. I think a service bulletin may have been issued and may still be available from Airstream customer service in Jackson Center or possibly from your local dealer if he is a good one.

The big issue is the convection microwave ovens draw significantly more power than the low power Sharp ovens used as standard equipment. In fair defense to Airstream, it all depends on how your unit was specified by thje ordering customer or the dealer if it was a stock unit.

Also, I want to credit Lew for I beleive raising this issue some years ago. Maybe one of the forum moderators can find more threaqds for you on this subject.

BTW, I am working in the Eastern Sierra and away from the home computer and files so I may not be able to answer further Q'suntil I am back in OR at the end of the month should you have more questions.
WLJ
PS: Sharp units are still made, but the convection unit uses a special face trim adaptor to allow for proper ventilation when cabinet mounted; this is essential!!
wlj1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I picked up my Safari from storage today. This was built 2 years ago last week but I do find variations of the model on Google; search Sharp Grill 2 convection microwave. The instructions say it only needs a 15A plug on a dedicated circuit (may interfere with TV picture if share the same circuit). The specs say it pulls 12.5 A on microwave and 13.0 A on Grill/Convection. Outside dimensions are 20 1/2" W x 12 1/8" H x 19 3/4" D.

Ventilation is important as wlj1943 says. The Built-in Kit face panel (Model RK-82K (black) is 23" W x 17 H; the fixed vent louvers occupy a 1.5" x 20.5" area on both the top and bottom. My installation is underneath a 3-burner stovetop. I'll see if I can't get a picture posted in the next day or so.

5 meter Langford Nahanni