Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Greenville , South Carolina
The yellow beige vent behind the......

Hi Folks my question is this winter I want to kind of respectfully "gut" my '66 Overlander to replace her floor and do some major work in the galley area. So several questions: to the right of where the oven used to be, inside the cupboard where the "towel rack" is there is a plastic looking tubing or vent that is quite large that goes throught the back of the cupboard on the right and up...was that a vent for the oven? Can I remove it to gain more space without sacrificing something I am not aware of?
Next question, facing the sink, on the right is where the doorway leads to the back of thr trailer. On the otherside, to the right of the room divider next to the sink is a PVC 3" black pipe that appears to start under the floor and go through th overhead storage and out to the ceiling. What is this? Can I reroute it more towards the side?
Lastly (who am I kidding) if I am going to go to the effort to replace flooring and cabinetry should I replace the piping for the water or gas as I am exposing them now. So far, I have no leaks but notice that the gas is copper (I assume that is good?), but the water, at least at the kitchen sink area for drainage is the rigid 3" plastic piping that runs under the sink through the devider wall, along into the bottom of th closet and then down and out.
About the copper piping..I am referring to a 1/2 inch copper line that starts somewhere in front, under the front sofabed and follows along on top of the floor and tight next to the wall on the street side of the trailer, goes under the table, behind the fridge and oven space.
Also, in the front cabinet over the sofabed, there is the two door opening up...in th right upper corner I have a serious looking wire that has been cut. What is this, 12 volt? 110? Something else?
Looking forward to knowing....
Dureedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dureedesign
to the right of where the oven used to be, inside the cupboard where the "towel rack" is there is a plastic looking tubing or vent that is quite large that goes throught the back of the cupboard on the right and up...was that a vent for the oven? Can I remove it to gain more space without sacrificing something I am not aware of?
Its hard to say without looking, but that almost sounds like the vent for the refer. Whatever it is, you can bet it was put there for a reason.... post a pic maybe

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Hey General...Duh I never thought..the fridge is gas,,,so it follows that the vent would be for that, but then what about where the oven was..no vent? Did they share the vent?Thanx!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
If it what I am thinking, a vent that is about a foot wide, and is for the refer, its job is more to allow heat exchange than anything else. Its vented high on the camper to creat a draft and there should also be a pretty good size opening on the floor. No doubt others can better articulate the way this functions, but that is more or less the idea. My oven doesnt have a vent, although there is an exahust vent/fan above the stove top.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dureedesign
...So several questions: to the right of where the oven used to be, inside the cupboard where the "towel rack" is there is a plastic looking tubing or vent that is quite large that goes throught the back of the cupboard on the right and up...was that a vent for the oven?
Sounds like the fridge vent?

Quote:
Next question, facing the sink, on the right is where the doorway leads to the back of thr trailer. On the otherside, to the right of the room divider next to the sink is a PVC 3" black pipe that appears to start under the floor and go through th overhead storage and out to the ceiling. What is this?
PVC, by the sink, going thru the roof? Probably the vent stack for the sink drain line.

Quote:
About the copper piping..I am referring to a 1/2 inch copper line that starts somewhere in front, under the front sofabed and follows along on top of the floor and tight next to the wall on the street side of the trailer, goes under the table, behind the fridge and oven space.
Trace it down - if it's gas you need to change that before you ever use it. You do not want the gas line on the inside of your trailer! If it's a water line, you're fine - maybe...it may have leaks/bursts from freezing and would need replaced.

Quote:
Also, in the front cabinet over the sofabed, there is the two door opening up...in th right upper corner I have a serious looking wire that has been cut. What is this, 12 volt? 110? Something else?
Put a voltmeter on it and check for sure. I have a 12v power supply line there in my '64 that I believe was there for the stereo.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Thanks, everybody! You all proved to be correct on all counts! I am trying to find an IPOD 12 volt docking and speaker system for just that spot over the sofa. Anybody have any recomendations?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
On the fridge vent- I would be sure to seal that in really well, both to the wall and the cabinetry when all is back together. You don't want carbon monoxide getting into the trailer. While you're at it I would also hard-wire a propane detector and carbon monoxide detector.

I used the 12v wires up front for a car stereo that has a port for an ipod.

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
me too

Duree
I just gutted my 66 Overlander. My fridge vent (see if this pic matches yours) has a lot of cracks around the rivots, but is otherwise in good condition. I was hoping to used epoxy and fiberglass cloth to reinforce the bad areas, as I'm sure this is not an easy part to find. By the way, I do have a 8"x8" hole in the floor just below the vent, so I think "Gen" was right. Let me know where you are at with your project. I just got mine gutted to the rear wardrobes this week. I hope to have it empty in another week or so to replace the bathroom floor. Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1834.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	827.2 KB
ID:	47174  
air66stream is offline   Reply With Quote