Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
GLASS GODDESS
 
2011 22' Sport
Greenville , South Carolina
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 119
The yellow beige vent behind the......

Hi Folks my question is this winter I want to kind of respectfully "gut" my '66 Overlander to replace her floor and do some major work in the galley area. So several questions: to the right of where the oven used to be, inside the cupboard where the "towel rack" is there is a plastic looking tubing or vent that is quite large that goes throught the back of the cupboard on the right and up...was that a vent for the oven? Can I remove it to gain more space without sacrificing something I am not aware of?
Next question, facing the sink, on the right is where the doorway leads to the back of thr trailer. On the otherside, to the right of the room divider next to the sink is a PVC 3" black pipe that appears to start under the floor and go through th overhead storage and out to the ceiling. What is this? Can I reroute it more towards the side?
Lastly (who am I kidding) if I am going to go to the effort to replace flooring and cabinetry should I replace the piping for the water or gas as I am exposing them now. So far, I have no leaks but notice that the gas is copper (I assume that is good?), but the water, at least at the kitchen sink area for drainage is the rigid 3" plastic piping that runs under the sink through the devider wall, along into the bottom of th closet and then down and out.
About the copper piping..I am referring to a 1/2 inch copper line that starts somewhere in front, under the front sofabed and follows along on top of the floor and tight next to the wall on the street side of the trailer, goes under the table, behind the fridge and oven space.
Also, in the front cabinet over the sofabed, there is the two door opening up...in th right upper corner I have a serious looking wire that has been cut. What is this, 12 volt? 110? Something else?
Looking forward to knowing....
__________________

__________________
Dureedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Naysayer
 
Boondocker's Avatar

 
1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,635
Images: 7
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dureedesign
to the right of where the oven used to be, inside the cupboard where the "towel rack" is there is a plastic looking tubing or vent that is quite large that goes throught the back of the cupboard on the right and up...was that a vent for the oven? Can I remove it to gain more space without sacrificing something I am not aware of?
Its hard to say without looking, but that almost sounds like the vent for the refer. Whatever it is, you can bet it was put there for a reason.... post a pic maybe
__________________

__________________
Rodney

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
GLASS GODDESS
 
2011 22' Sport
Greenville , South Carolina
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 119
Hey General...Duh I never thought..the fridge is gas,,,so it follows that the vent would be for that, but then what about where the oven was..no vent? Did they share the vent?Thanx!
__________________
Dureedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
Naysayer
 
Boondocker's Avatar

 
1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,635
Images: 7
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
If it what I am thinking, a vent that is about a foot wide, and is for the refer, its job is more to allow heat exchange than anything else. Its vented high on the camper to creat a draft and there should also be a pretty good size opening on the floor. No doubt others can better articulate the way this functions, but that is more or less the idea. My oven doesnt have a vent, although there is an exahust vent/fan above the stove top.
__________________
Rodney

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
GreatPumpkin's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,033
Images: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dureedesign
...So several questions: to the right of where the oven used to be, inside the cupboard where the "towel rack" is there is a plastic looking tubing or vent that is quite large that goes throught the back of the cupboard on the right and up...was that a vent for the oven?
Sounds like the fridge vent?

Quote:
Next question, facing the sink, on the right is where the doorway leads to the back of thr trailer. On the otherside, to the right of the room divider next to the sink is a PVC 3" black pipe that appears to start under the floor and go through th overhead storage and out to the ceiling. What is this?
PVC, by the sink, going thru the roof? Probably the vent stack for the sink drain line.

Quote:
About the copper piping..I am referring to a 1/2 inch copper line that starts somewhere in front, under the front sofabed and follows along on top of the floor and tight next to the wall on the street side of the trailer, goes under the table, behind the fridge and oven space.
Trace it down - if it's gas you need to change that before you ever use it. You do not want the gas line on the inside of your trailer! If it's a water line, you're fine - maybe...it may have leaks/bursts from freezing and would need replaced.

Quote:
Also, in the front cabinet over the sofabed, there is the two door opening up...in th right upper corner I have a serious looking wire that has been cut. What is this, 12 volt? 110? Something else?
Put a voltmeter on it and check for sure. I have a 12v power supply line there in my '64 that I believe was there for the stereo.
__________________
AIR 12256
Currently Looking
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
GLASS GODDESS
 
2011 22' Sport
Greenville , South Carolina
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 119
Thanks, everybody! You all proved to be correct on all counts! I am trying to find an IPOD 12 volt docking and speaker system for just that spot over the sofa. Anybody have any recomendations?
__________________
Dureedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
sequoiacoast's Avatar
 
1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 694
Images: 4
On the fridge vent- I would be sure to seal that in really well, both to the wall and the cabinetry when all is back together. You don't want carbon monoxide getting into the trailer. While you're at it I would also hard-wire a propane detector and carbon monoxide detector.

I used the 12v wires up front for a car stereo that has a port for an ipod.
__________________
Tanya

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 55
Images: 5
me too

Duree
I just gutted my 66 Overlander. My fridge vent (see if this pic matches yours) has a lot of cracks around the rivots, but is otherwise in good condition. I was hoping to used epoxy and fiberglass cloth to reinforce the bad areas, as I'm sure this is not an easy part to find. By the way, I do have a 8"x8" hole in the floor just below the vent, so I think "Gen" was right. Let me know where you are at with your project. I just got mine gutted to the rear wardrobes this week. I hope to have it empty in another week or so to replace the bathroom floor. Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1834.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	827.2 KB
ID:	47174  
__________________

__________________
air66stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yellow Wall experiment ALANSD General Interior Topics 45 11-17-2009 08:53 PM
yellow stone candycane Off Topic Forum 4 06-10-2007 09:42 PM
Live Green Go Yellow wheel interested On The Road... 31 02-20-2006 07:37 PM
Interior AC cover - I KNOW where the yellow went. j54mark Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 3 09-27-2003 06:22 PM
Optima Yellow Tops montanaandy Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 0 05-23-2002 10:05 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.