Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2016, 11:18 PM   #1
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
The HOOD panel removal

Disclaimer... I am a 'Nuke and Pave' / scorched earth kinda guy.. at least lately... so, take what follows as mere advice...

On our 1999 Excella, I was tepid about removing the 'info panel' on the front of the range hood...

Nowhere could I find an 'easy' to understand process!

Well, I found it.. It was on a label on the rear of the Range Hood.. referenced as 'hood' from here on! The major part is understanding how the panel is designed and attached. The panel is installed by pushing it into the hood panel hole, allowing the 'catches' on the panel to slide into slots. This keeps the panel in place. Then, the left side is 'snapped' into place, forcing it into the hood panel opening where a 'lip' on the left edge of the panel catches the steel. Removal requires significant force to get the left side latch to 'release'....after a few steps..

Basically, the process is:
1- get a small thin, blade screwdriver and some electrical tape and bring into the AS.
2- in the AS, approach the panel on front of the 'hood'... snarling at the hood is acceptable.
3- slide the panel by hand, left to right... you should find it moves about 1/8-1/4" left to right.
4- slide the panel to the far right it will go, place a line of electrical tape on the hood... on the underside of the panel
5- on the underside of the panel you will find a small 'notch' in the panel, from the bottom...
6- readjust your facial contortions...snarl at the panel now..
7- while keeping the panel slid to the right, place the flat side of the screwdriver into the notch in the left underside of the panel.. careful, don't scratch the hood or chip the panel plastic (the electrical tape will minimize the chance..)
8- now, 'lift'/pry the panel away from the hood... it will flex pretty good ... at least until it breaks..
9- Now that the panel is separating from the hood, with your fingers, grab the left edge and pull out. (note, I had to pull pretty hard and finally it popped off...
10- slide panel to the left then pull away from hood.. be careful to not bump the wires against the steel of the hood, okay?

Alternate method...
9- since panel is pulling away, try to bend the lower part by pulling outward, while keeping panel pushed to the right... this should 'free' the retaining lip on the back left side of the panel... Remember... don't pull too hard.. you just want the left side to release... and it will.. with a big 'snap' sound...

Once you have the panel off, you may notice the left vertical edge of the hood/panel opening is distorted... it can be massaged into place with your fingers pretty easily..

Oh, and I found my 'tank' rheostats were turned full clockwise, up to the stops..! Since there is little/no liquid in the tanks, I adjusted them to 'zero' as best I could... only one lamp lights up on test now... hope this 'fixes' the issue.. I am sure I will need to adjust when the tanks are 'near full' for the best adjustment.. That or get a tank dipstick...

I had my hands full with the project so did not take pics... sorry... but, next time, perhaps...

travel well...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote