Old 07-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
Testing the Stove Power Vent

Hello everyone,

I started testing some of the other power things last night. I tried the stove power vent but nothing. So I checked the switch wires first, yep found a loose wire from the Stakon terminal. I thought I would just "spark" the two wires together just to see if any power was there, yep got a spark. So I held the two wires together to see if the motor would run, nope a bad hum. I then went to the outside and removed the vent cover, it looked like a piece of gray paper was covering the round hole! I scratched away at it with a screw driver and found the screen and motor mount. After the screws were removed I tried to pull the motor out, Hmmm, kinda stuck! I pulled it out as gently as I could. This is what I found in there
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
That was about six to seven layers of hornet combs! No wonder the little motor couldn't turn! I cleaned it all out and vacuumed all the dust up, oiled the fan and put it all back together. It runs great now

The screen over it in the begining was an open "rabbit" type wire, the holes were plenty big enuff for hornets/wasps to get in. I cut a new piece of aluminium screen to go back over it. Hopefully this won't happen again!

Skip Callaham
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
At first glance I thought you found a pile of sponges and wondered just how they got in the vent. Hopefully your discovery was of old nests and nothing was stirring. Does you fan work now?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
Yeah, I have a very cheap digital camera, sorry for the quality. Hope to get a better one soon

Skip Callaham
Old 08-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
I wonder if this could be the problem with our vent. I was going to post to see if anyone knew how to check them. We have a 1973 20' Argosy... I imagine I can get the outside vent off and check it out. Can this be done on an Argosy? I haven't really checked. Inside it is just a low hum and doesn't really work well at clearing out heat or smoke Does this sound like the problem above that it has some debris in it? ANy help would be great.. thanks. W Phibbs (stratford)