Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2003, 06:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Stove Vent Assembly

The PO had disassembled the vent assembly above the stove. There is the pannel 2 actuation cables and wiring for the fan. Does anyone have pics or can tell me the proper way to reinstall this on a 74 Arogsy?

The PO had pulled everything and taped down the exharust flap so there was more storage in the overhead compartment. I would like to get the exhaust fan working again.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Suburbanbloom
Please help me too! My vent fan has not been disassembled, however, it appears the cable(s) is jammed or something like that? No clue where to begin!
Old 08-25-2004, 10:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanbloom
Please help me too! My vent fan has not been disassembled, however, it appears the cable(s) is jammed or something like that? No clue where to begin!
If you are not planning to remove for repair, start by spraying WD-40 on the linkages.
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Suburbanbloom
Maybe, I should better explain the situation... 1976 Sovereign - 31 ft. Stove vent handle is located on the control panel thingie. It *was* stuck, but if I remember correctly, after playing repair gal, it now opens the exterior cover, but that is it! What should I remove to repair?
Old 08-25-2004, 11:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Mary,

Sorry, but I can not figure out what is broke

Is the issue a jammed door or non-spinning fan motor?

Tom
Old 08-25-2004, 10:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Another bad cover

I am also having trouble with my vent cover. It will not open and I don't know how to access the cables or levers or whatever moves the vent. Help!! I need someone to explain how this system works. Thanks, Shelby
PS It is a 1974 Tradewind.
Shelby Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:20 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby Copeland
I am also having trouble with my vent cover. It will not open and I don't know how to access the cables or levers or whatever moves the vent. Help!! I need someone to explain how this system works.
There should be a lever in the cabinet over the range. The lever may need to be pulled down before being pushed to the side to go in the slot. There is a small catch that holds the lever down. Once you have the lever in the slot, lift gently. If it will not move you may need a new cable. Inland has them. It is like the cable that is used on a lawn mower throttle. Once you move the arm up more than half way the fan should come on. There is a micro switch that the arm contacts. In an Argosy there is normally a separate knob for the fan.

If you need to replace the cable start by removing the grease screen off the underside of the cabinet. It will help for access and seeing where the wire connects. It will need to be attached to the vent lid from the outside. The control panel may need to be removed from the inside to get to the inner end of the cable.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:36 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Big Bear Lake , California
Unhappy Stove Vent Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl
The PO had disassembled the vent assembly above the stove. There is the pannel 2 actuation cables and wiring for the fan. Does anyone have pics or can tell me the proper way to reinstall this on a 74 Arogsy?

The PO had pulled everything and taped down the exharust flap so there was more storage in the overhead compartment. I would like to get the exhaust fan working again.
I have the exact situation in my 64 TW. Do you think the fan could be replaced w/ a 12v computer fan and run a sheet metal duct to the vent to get it operational? I say this cause I haven't been able to find anything (yet) as to what the original configuration looked like nor any after market solutions, except full range hoods but no reference to individual replacement fans.
The other question is, are these fans really effective? Any active cookin' campers out there that rely on this feature?
Ed
Wardinbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardinbb
I have the exact situation in my 64 TW. Do you think the fan could be replaced w/ a 12v computer fan ..? ...The other question is, are these fans really effective? Any active cookin' campers out there that rely on this feature?
A 12 volt computer fan will probably not stand up to the grease load an exhaust hood fan normally sees.

I also wondered about how effective they were, and was anxious to test it on the maiden voyage of my fully functional Overlander. Although the fan is a bit noisy, I went outside and could definitely feel air from the vent, and smell what was cooking inside.

Tom
Old 09-02-2004, 12:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
The same fan from your ceiling vent is the same one used in the stove hood vent.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:35 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Too wimpy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
A 12 volt computer fan will probably not stand up to the grease load an exhaust hood fan normally sees.

I also wondered about how effective they were, and was anxious to test it on the maiden voyage of my fully functional Overlander. Although the fan is a bit noisy, I went outside and could definitely feel air from the vent, and smell what was cooking inside.

Tom
I thought that may be the case, I was just hopeful for an inexpense fix. And what your saying is, is that it works. Is your fan stock? Are you aware of a replacement assembly?
Thanks, Ed
Old 09-02-2004, 12:41 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
The same fan from your ceiling vent is the same one used in the stove hood vent.

John
Wow, that's huge!
So are we talking about using a roof vent fan assembly without the dome and operator to restore? And then just fashion ductwork to the outside vent?
Ed
Old 09-02-2004, 12:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardinbb
...And what your saying is that it works. Is your fan stock? Are you aware of a replacement assembly?
Yes, it worked well enough to use it. However, what caught my attention more about cooking was the amount of heat generated by cooking biscuit in the oven. Makes sense though if you think about the interior's size.

My exhaust hood, fan, and blade are all stock. I am not aware of replacement assemblies, but AYSTRM2 posted good information about the motor above this post. InlandRV & Grainger both sell the motor.

Tom
Old 09-02-2004, 01:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Yeah, the fan is attached to metal strips that run across the inside of the vent. Held in place with two screws.

And Tom, what is the Grainger part #? I need a new motor!

John
Old 09-02-2004, 02:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
... And Tom, what is the Grainger part #? I need a new motor!
Strange, I could have sworn I got the part number from this forum I had planned to point you to a good thread discussing the installation.

Anyways, Grainger's motor is reversible, and taller than the stock motor. However, the mounting characteristics & shaft size are the same. Minor mods may be necessary.

Grainger wants $23.19 for part number 2M197.

Tom
Old 09-02-2004, 11:06 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
Strange, I could have sworn I got the part number from this forum I had planned to point you to a good thread discussing the installation.

Anyways, Grainger's motor is reversible, and taller than the stock motor. However, the mounting characteristics & shaft size are the same. Minor mods may be necessary.

Grainger wants $23.19 for part number 2M197.

Tom
Thanks for the treasure! Great double team effort.
Ed
Old 09-03-2004, 07:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Very cool! We are considering putting in Fantastic Vents and thus would have a motor left over, but I had been wanting that info in my back pocket just in case! Thanks, Tom

John
Old 06-14-2005, 07:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Ok, an update. No Fantastic fans yet, but we still needed a hood vent motor. I was going to try Grainger, but the motor looks a little big, and they don't sell to the general public - well maybe they might but it seemed a little shady. I then checked on eBay to see what I could find, and you know what?? Someone was selling a school bus defroster fan, and it looked just like the old motor. So I bought it, and it's identical in appearance, size, shape and attachments. I have not installed it, just got it last night but I will drop back in and tell how it went.

John
Old 08-14-2005, 09:11 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Coos Bay , Oregon
OK, so I now have the motor working properly... When any motor doesnt work check the ground :-). But now I need to replace the cable that controlls the exterior cover. There were 2 cables with the trailer but I think they do not belong with this trailer. I may need to check with Andy and find out how much a new cable is and how it installs through the fan housing.

Darryl
darryl97420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Mine was just that ball chain they use on the ceiling fans in your house. Except bigger. Balls that is.