Old 09-13-2005, 10:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1978 25' Tradewind
Roseland , Florida
Stove incinerates food

We've got the original stove in out 78 tradewind and the burners are great, the stove, however, goes from zero to 600 regardless of what setting you use. I haven't done a lot of stove work in my career, so could use some pointers.

Eric, Tina and Kierstin Hedin
'78 Tradewind - Homeschooling RV Tech
kooblekidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:11 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Originally Posted by kooblekidz
We've got the original stove in out 78 tradewind and the burners are great, the stove, however, goes from zero to 600 regardless of what setting you use. I haven't done a lot of stove work in my career, so could use some pointers.
Sounds like the LP pressure might be too high. You will need to check the pressure at the regulator output or at the stove itself. I had this problem at a house one time when they installed a 2psi line and forgot to step the pressure down for the stove.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
In an oven, the burner is either ON or OFF (the pilot light does not count as it is always on). If you set the thermostat for 350 degrees, the burner runs at full tilt until that temperature is reached, at which point the thermostat shuts the burner off. When the temperature drops seven or or so degrees, the thermostat commands the burner to operate again, at full tilt, until it thinks the oven is the right temperature.

I suspect your thermostat is bad.

1967 Airstream Overlander International
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:46 AM   #4
Still Working
1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina

Which is the culprit, Stove or Oven?

I read Stove (twice)and it seems that the post above is talking about the thermostat in the oven
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:50 AM   #5
Round on both ends
1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Kooblekidz,

I think Aaron might have nailed it. Your trailer's gas supply should be set at 11" of water. There are threads here about how to make a water manometer to check the pressure. This can cause the heater flame not to cycle off.

Also, there's a capillary tube going to the oven that can be damaged or gunked up with oven cleaner. That's easy to check.

If the pressure is good and the capillary tube is not obviously damaged, the next step is to replace the thermostat. Parts for these old ovens (at least the Magic Chef I'm familiar with) are still out there, and a Google search for your oven's model number will find them.

I suggest that you check your gas pressure, and then perform this simple test. With the trailer quiet, set the oven for about 350 degrees and let it run for a while. Do you hear the oven cycling on and off when it hits the set temperature? If you don't, it's the thermostat.

1975 Argosy 28 "Argosy"
1979 Excella 500 31 "Betsy"
1992 Lincoln Mk 7 LSC
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote