Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2004, 03:56 PM   #21
jeanarlene

1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Noon
I've been working on our old stove top which is very pitted and looked for replacement parts for all the stainless steel, but couldn't find any. I looked at a new cover and did not see good reviews on the covers i saw. They were flimsy, etc. At this point, we will use it as is, if it still works, (major plumbing problems to fix first) and then maybe see if someone can do it over like they do old car bumpers. I tried many things on my cover, and nothing removed some of the pitting. I tried NeverDull, many polishers, copper cleaner worked fairly well with a plastic scrunge, but nothing took out the really heavy stuff. I even used a razor knife...that managed to scrape off some of the garbage, and didn't scratch if i was careful. I'm glad you didn't go with the pilot on stove. I have seen scary stuff about driving with propane on, and just too many burnt out trailers. Good luck.

Debbie

My stove cover got most of its shine back with lots of elbow grease and Brillo pads. Evidently your cover is in worse shape. My neighbor sanded off her cover rust and then painted the cover with paint that withstands high temperatures. It is an attractive enamel looking cream color. Somewhere I saw a wood cover replacement which folds back when cooking and then is a handy surface extending the counter. Hope you find both beauty and function.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:45 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

I got brillo and will also try that. Right now I am finishing repairing my curtains and rehanging the last set. They are in amazing shape. Most stains came off, or are at least almost non existant. Then I'll try the stove again. We still have to get the gas going. Hopefully that will be as successful as other trials. It sure would be a shame to get the stove beautiful and then find out it didn't work, or that replacement parts were more expensive than a new stove!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanarlene
My stove cover got most of its shine back with lots of elbow grease and Brillo pads. Evidently your cover is in worse shape. My neighbor sanded off her cover rust and then painted the cover with paint that withstands high temperatures. It is an attractive enamel looking cream color. Somewhere I saw a wood cover replacement which folds back when cooking and then is a handy surface extending the counter. Hope you find both beauty and function.
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 12:29 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
I had the same problem and used NevR-Dull magic wadding. You can get it at most grocery stores. Really cuts the crap and polishes without scratching. One can goes a real long way. Ahh the tricks you learn as a sailor.
Iceboy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:13 PM   #24
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Stove restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Noon
I got brillo and will also try that. Right now I am finishing repairing my curtains and rehanging the last set. They are in amazing shape. Most stains came off, or are at least almost non existant. Then I'll try the stove again. We still have to get the gas going. Hopefully that will be as successful as other trials. It sure would be a shame to get the stove beautiful and then find out it didn't work, or that replacement parts were more expensive than a new stove!
Debbie Noon,

Our stove top was stained and rusted stainless steel. As a last resort, I took 150 grit sandpaper on a new rubber sanding block and sanded it, gently at first, vigorously later. I made sure to sand in one direction only, no swirls.
I then went over it with 220 grit, and finally 400 grit sandpaper. It came out absolutely gorgeous. You can go finer, if you so desire, as in 600 or 800 grit.
I disassembled the oven door and did the outside frame as well, then the burner cover. The whole thing looks really good now, although not brand new.
Our pilot is dangerous! It has a shutoff valve, no thermocouple.
I rarely use it, I just light the burners with a bbq lighter. I am always afraid that it would blow out and I would forget, light a cigar and go to heaven seconds later.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:26 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Yep. I think I will try the sandpaper. How bad could it get? I tried never dull and got little improvement. There are a few really corroded parts. I hate to replace it just for looks becuause I can't imagine iwould get the same quality. i heard newer stoves and covers are flimsy. Sooon......
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Debbie Noon,

Our stove top was stained and rusted stainless steel. As a last resort, I took 150 grit sandpaper on a new rubber sanding block and sanded it, gently at first, vigorously later. I made sure to sand in one direction only, no swirls.
I then went over it with 220 grit, and finally 400 grit sandpaper. It came out absolutely gorgeous. You can go finer, if you so desire, as in 600 or 800 grit.
I disassembled the oven door and did the outside frame as well, then the burner cover. The whole thing looks really good now, although not brand new.
Our pilot is dangerous! It has a shutoff valve, no thermocouple.
I rarely use it, I just light the burners with a bbq lighter. I am always afraid that it would blow out and I would forget, light a cigar and go to heaven seconds later.
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:39 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Furnace

Jeanne.

If you are thinking of using your furnace, please have someone take it out and clean it. The inside is more than likely full of rust, etc. It would give you peace of mind. What year is your trailer?

Don Pace
69 Overlander
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote