Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-29-2002, 04:08 PM   #15
jeanarlene
 
1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 44
Now I'm having second thoughts. Took another look at the stove and oven which are one piece. If I attack the stove with brillo pads it might shine up. The pitting is just on the cover. The oven is in pretty good shape. Before I settle for a cooktop and a microwave I think I'll go back to square one and try to find replacement valves which the airstream dealer wasn't able to locate. I'll call him and get the part descripions and then post them in case one of you might know of a source. Otherwise I'll just contact some of the part places listed in this website. Too bad most of them have phone numbers but not email. When I call a business I either get put on hold or end up playing phone tag.
__________________

__________________
Jeanarlene
jeanarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 01:53 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
 
1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 242
Images: 3
Jeanne,
In your search, did you come across a source for a new cooktop? Mine is also very rust pitted.
Craig
__________________

__________________
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 05:02 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
 
SilverStreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 19
Images: 1
Jeanne, If you keep the old cook top and not the oven, you could go with a convection/microwave. I use my convection/micro often at home, don't have it in the airstream. It bakes really well, won't broil though. Jean
__________________
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 06:26 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
 
Pick's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,310
Images: 36
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Stove Top

I took out my stove top that was in ugly shape and sand blasted it. I then painted it with "chrome" colored paint. Doesn't look quite original, but looks 10 times better than it did.
__________________
ARS WA8ZYT
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 08:51 PM   #19
jeanarlene
 
1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 44
Smile Stove Solution and New Problem of Furnace

I have a happy ending to the non-functioning stove. I found a used appliance repair shop which had parts for my old Magic Chef stove. It now works and the oven too. I will attack the rust with Brillo pads, making sure I throw the pad away when the soap is depleted else I'll scratch the finish. My next project is getting the furnance fixed. I've received lots of advice saying to take it out as a furnace over 30 years old isn't worth fixing. I found a heating repair fellow who looked at it and said it just needs a new motor. He's looking for a compatible used motor and hopefully, I'll not have to purchase a new one. I had thought I'd settle for a catalytic heater but when I learned that the furnace has ducts which carry heat to the tanks, I decided to stay with the furnace. The catalytic will only heat the interior of the trailer.

Jeanne
__________________
Jeanarlene
jeanarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 08:17 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
 
tinsltootsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 126
Images: 29
I've been working on our old stove top which is very pitted and looked for replacement parts for all the stainless steel, but couldn't find any. I looked at a new cover and did not see good reviews on the covers i saw. They were flimsy, etc. At this point, we will use it as is, if it still works, (major plumbing problems to fix first) and then maybe see if someone can do it over like they do old car bumpers. I tried many things on my cover, and nothing removed some of the pitting. I tried NeverDull, many polishers, copper cleaner worked fairly well with a plastic scrunge, but nothing took out the really heavy stuff. I even used a razor knife...that managed to scrape off some of the garbage, and didn't scratch if i was careful. I'm glad you didn't go with the pilot on stove. I have seen scary stuff about driving with propane on, and just too many burnt out trailers. Good luck.

Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanarlene
I have a happy ending to the non-functioning stove. I found a used appliance repair shop which had parts for my old Magic Chef stove. It now works and the oven too. I will attack the rust with Brillo pads, making sure I throw the pad away when the soap is depleted else I'll scratch the finish. My next project is getting the furnance fixed. I've received lots of advice saying to take it out as a furnace over 30 years old isn't worth fixing. I found a heating repair fellow who looked at it and said it just needs a new motor. He's looking for a compatible used motor and hopefully, I'll not have to purchase a new one. I had thought I'd settle for a catalytic heater but when I learned that the furnace has ducts which carry heat to the tanks, I decided to stay with the furnace. The catalytic will only heat the interior of the trailer.

Jeanne
__________________
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 04:56 PM   #21
jeanarlene
 
1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 44
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Noon
I've been working on our old stove top which is very pitted and looked for replacement parts for all the stainless steel, but couldn't find any. I looked at a new cover and did not see good reviews on the covers i saw. They were flimsy, etc. At this point, we will use it as is, if it still works, (major plumbing problems to fix first) and then maybe see if someone can do it over like they do old car bumpers. I tried many things on my cover, and nothing removed some of the pitting. I tried NeverDull, many polishers, copper cleaner worked fairly well with a plastic scrunge, but nothing took out the really heavy stuff. I even used a razor knife...that managed to scrape off some of the garbage, and didn't scratch if i was careful. I'm glad you didn't go with the pilot on stove. I have seen scary stuff about driving with propane on, and just too many burnt out trailers. Good luck.

Debbie

My stove cover got most of its shine back with lots of elbow grease and Brillo pads. Evidently your cover is in worse shape. My neighbor sanded off her cover rust and then painted the cover with paint that withstands high temperatures. It is an attractive enamel looking cream color. Somewhere I saw a wood cover replacement which folds back when cooking and then is a handy surface extending the counter. Hope you find both beauty and function.
__________________
Jeanarlene
jeanarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:45 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
 
tinsltootsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 126
Images: 29
I got brillo and will also try that. Right now I am finishing repairing my curtains and rehanging the last set. They are in amazing shape. Most stains came off, or are at least almost non existant. Then I'll try the stove again. We still have to get the gas going. Hopefully that will be as successful as other trials. It sure would be a shame to get the stove beautiful and then find out it didn't work, or that replacement parts were more expensive than a new stove!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanarlene
My stove cover got most of its shine back with lots of elbow grease and Brillo pads. Evidently your cover is in worse shape. My neighbor sanded off her cover rust and then painted the cover with paint that withstands high temperatures. It is an attractive enamel looking cream color. Somewhere I saw a wood cover replacement which folds back when cooking and then is a handy surface extending the counter. Hope you find both beauty and function.
__________________
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:29 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
 
1975 24' Argosy 24
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5
I had the same problem and used NevR-Dull magic wadding. You can get it at most grocery stores. Really cuts the crap and polishes without scratching. One can goes a real long way. Ahh the tricks you learn as a sailor.
__________________
Iceboy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:13 PM   #24
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Stove restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Noon
I got brillo and will also try that. Right now I am finishing repairing my curtains and rehanging the last set. They are in amazing shape. Most stains came off, or are at least almost non existant. Then I'll try the stove again. We still have to get the gas going. Hopefully that will be as successful as other trials. It sure would be a shame to get the stove beautiful and then find out it didn't work, or that replacement parts were more expensive than a new stove!
Debbie Noon,

Our stove top was stained and rusted stainless steel. As a last resort, I took 150 grit sandpaper on a new rubber sanding block and sanded it, gently at first, vigorously later. I made sure to sand in one direction only, no swirls.
I then went over it with 220 grit, and finally 400 grit sandpaper. It came out absolutely gorgeous. You can go finer, if you so desire, as in 600 or 800 grit.
I disassembled the oven door and did the outside frame as well, then the burner cover. The whole thing looks really good now, although not brand new.
Our pilot is dangerous! It has a shutoff valve, no thermocouple.
I rarely use it, I just light the burners with a bbq lighter. I am always afraid that it would blow out and I would forget, light a cigar and go to heaven seconds later.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:26 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
 
tinsltootsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 126
Images: 29
Yep. I think I will try the sandpaper. How bad could it get? I tried never dull and got little improvement. There are a few really corroded parts. I hate to replace it just for looks becuause I can't imagine iwould get the same quality. i heard newer stoves and covers are flimsy. Sooon......
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Debbie Noon,

Our stove top was stained and rusted stainless steel. As a last resort, I took 150 grit sandpaper on a new rubber sanding block and sanded it, gently at first, vigorously later. I made sure to sand in one direction only, no swirls.
I then went over it with 220 grit, and finally 400 grit sandpaper. It came out absolutely gorgeous. You can go finer, if you so desire, as in 600 or 800 grit.
I disassembled the oven door and did the outside frame as well, then the burner cover. The whole thing looks really good now, although not brand new.
Our pilot is dangerous! It has a shutoff valve, no thermocouple.
I rarely use it, I just light the burners with a bbq lighter. I am always afraid that it would blow out and I would forget, light a cigar and go to heaven seconds later.
__________________
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:39 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
 
Lee Pace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 201
Images: 4
Furnace

Jeanne.

If you are thinking of using your furnace, please have someone take it out and clean it. The inside is more than likely full of rust, etc. It would give you peace of mind. What year is your trailer?

Don Pace
69 Overlander
__________________

__________________
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stove Hood Exhaust Cazadero Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings 1 01-17-2004 06:57 PM
Drip behind cook stove Theo Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures 12 01-15-2004 10:07 PM
stove vent installation Martha Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans 4 02-20-2003 09:18 PM
Camping Stove Krazykraut LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 3 12-17-2002 02:41 PM
GrandMa's Stove 77caravaner Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves 0 10-08-2002 06:05 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.