Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #1

2010 25' FB International
Lake Arrowhead , California
Sharp microwave convection turntable size & material?

I'm cleaning up our previously loved 2010 Int'l and it's missing the turntable in the Sharp R820BKF convection microwave. Can anyone who has this model tell me the measurement of the turntable and if it's glass, ceramic, or metal? A new replacement is $65 shipped and I'm hoping to find something suitable at the thrift store. Thanks!
TamiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
it's metal and 12.75" in diameter.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Interesting, mine is 12 5/8 and glass.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiB View Post
I'm cleaning up our previously loved 2010 Int'l and it's missing the turntable in the Sharp R820BKF convection microwave. Can anyone who has this model tell me the measurement of the turntable and if it's glass, ceramic, or metal? A new replacement is $65 shipped and I'm hoping to find something suitable at the thrift store. Thanks!
The glass turntables are pretty much standardized throughout the industry. I've had microwaves at home from three different manufacturers that all had identical Pyrex turntables in them, and every time I discard a dead microwave, I save the turntable just in case; the spares also do double duty as serving trays. They're too big to fit a Sharp convection microwave because they're all from bigger units for my home so I can't just ship you one, but same principle should apply for the smaller microwaves; they should have interchangeable turntables. I would think that if you can find a same-size microwave from any manufacturer, the glass turntable from that microwave will probably fit yours.

The metal tray goes on top of the glass turntable when you're cooking with convection. When you're cooking with microwave only, you only use the glass turntable. Since the metal tray isn't really breakable, I assume the glass turntable is what's needed in this case.

To keep my glass turntable in my Airstream from breaking in transit, I carry paper goods in the microwave— paper towels, paper plates, paper napkins. If there's room left over I'll stuff some cloth placemats in there for additional padding.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #5

2010 25' FB International
Lake Arrowhead , California
Thanks everyone. It doesn't have any type of tray in it now, so I guess either glass or metal will work. I'll look at the thrift shop this weekend.
TamiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiB View Post
Thanks everyone. It doesn't have any type of tray in it now, so I guess either glass or metal will work. I'll look at the thrift shop this weekend.
No! You must have the glass tray. The metal tray is only for convection cooking, and only when set on top of the glass turntable. If you use the metal tray without the glass turntable you'll damage the microwave oven.

If you only get a glass turntable you can only microwave. If you get both the glass turntable and metal tray you can microwave or convection cook. If you get only the metal tray you can't cook anything.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
shoot Pro... mine has only a metal turntable and I've used it for a year without a problem. May be ceramic coated?

Paula
Old 10-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
shoot Pro... mine has only a metal turntable and I've used it for a year without a problem. May be ceramic coated?
Could be. All I know is the owner's manual for my Sharp microwave/convection oven in my Airstream was very emphatic in stating that the metal tray is only to be used with the glass turntable under it. The metal tray doesn't turn by itself— it has three wire feet around the edges and doesn't engage the turntable spindle in the center— so maybe that has something to do with it?
Old 10-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Mine only has a metal tray and a metal rack above that. No glass came with it....no glass required....no glass necessary...all works fine with metal, both convection and microwave. Been working that way since we started full timing in our Airstream 4 months ago

Sent from my iPhone
David & Diane
Old 10-07-2015, 08:09 PM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlores View Post
Mine only has a metal tray and a metal rack above that. No glass came with it....no glass required....no glass necessary...all works fine with metal, both convection and microwave. Been working that way since we started full timing in our Airstream 4 months ago
Just to be clear, you're talking about a Sharp microwave/convection oven, like in TamiB's original post? I wasn't aware that Sharp made any microwave/convection ovens without a glass turntable. Guess I still learn something new every day.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #11
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
what a go. I didn't even know we could use metal in a microwave. Should have seen the fireworks when I forgot a spoon.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1955 18' Globetrotter
Carrollton , Texas
Sharp Microwave convection turntable size and material?

Manual shows turntable assembly as measuring 12 & 3/4 "
Manual found thru "google" on this particular model.
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I don't see how a metal tray on the bottom is a problem for Microwaves. The whole unit is metal; top, bottom and sides. Microwaves go through glass but not steel.
The metal tray is probably to protect the glass from the heat stress of hot glass and (until cooked), cold food. Our convection microwave in our Texas park model had a glass turntable which I have used for baking with convection but usually Pillsbury things and anything needing to be baked always went in a metal dish because that's the usual way to bake.
The problem with Corning is that is probably isn't "Corning Ware". The Chinese purchased the "Corning" trade mark and cheapened the glass by eliminating the Borosilicate. So if instructions say remove glass for baking, that is probably the reason.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Just spend the $65 and get the correct part. Why spend time and money trying to find something that might not work.

Kelvin
Old 10-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
The glass tray in 2006 AS Dometic microwave microwave broke a couple of years ago when on a trip.

I checked at Camping World for a replacement and they told me they could order a new one for about $70 - plus I would have to pay some exorbitant amount for shipping.

Instead, I tried a few local charity shops and found all kinds of microwave trays that seems as though they should work for a coupe of bucks each.

Turn out however that the drive on the Dometic uses a sort of three legged spider with wheels on the ends. The glass needed to have a "track" molded in to match the radius of the wheels and without that, they trays I found would not work properly as the tracks they had were slightly different.

I thought about modifying the spider to change the radius of the wheels, but a search on the internet suing the model number of our microwave turned up a place in California where I was able to buy the correct replacement for about $20. Shipping was not expensive.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #16

2008 31' Classic
Raymond , Nebraska
Sharp Turntable

Tami B - I have the metal turntable that you need. It's the right size for your model. We got a new Sharp Micro- Convection and found that the turntable is different from the old one. Gladly will let you have it for the cost of shipping. jdbasutton@gmail.com
Scout Two is offline   Reply With Quote