Old 07-25-2016, 07:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
Newmarket , Ontario
Samsung Microwave Oven Replacement

Microwave oven in my Safari has finally given up. Its beyond repair. The oven is "built in" so heat dissipation will be an issue. There are several models out there that will fit the opening however all vent from the side adjacent to the exterior wall of the RV.
The old Samsung vented from the top and had been modified, presumably by Airstream, to direct heat out of the vented front of the cabinet opening.
Anyone with a similar issue?
Thnx

Old 04-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
Sdt
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Blue Mountain , Mississippi
I have the same problem. What did you do? Really appreciate your experience in this.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
Newmarket , Ontario
Samsung Micro

Purchased a Panasonic model number NN-ST696S from Costco. Fit perfectly. Install instructions state u must allow 3" clearance on each side and 2" on top.
Lots of clearance on top but tight on sides. To compensate I drilled vent holes on the cabin side wall ( 3" diameter ) 3 of them. It does not effect the functionality of the cupboard.
When I use the micro I open the cupboard door to dissipate the.heat Have used it about 6 times. So far so good.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The failed microwave which AS installed as "OEM" was a brand I've never heard of. We bought the 22' Sport used and knew it when we bought it. Thru Amazon we found a Samsung convection/microwave and found it to be a perfect fit into the built-in cabinetry, with only a minor change in how the mounting straps (which tie the rear of the MW to the front-grille) fit.

Unfortunately, for some reason (perhaps an expiring online-SALE) and my previous good experiences with Samsung products led me to completely overlook reading any/all reviews of the product with the result that I did not notice the reviews which complain the unit overheats and shuts down when used in convection-mode. I've decided that the unit needs cooling-ventilation. This problem likely exists in most "built-in" methods of mounting MWs.

I have not yet done the actual modification, but I have a plan I believe will work. The MW is mounted in the 22' Sport thusly: As one enters the coach, the 4 cu ft refer is directly across the aisle. The galley begins immediately to the right (fwd) of the refer with cooktop burners beside the refer, and the MW mounted below where an oven would be (if an oven were installed instead of a MW.)
This places the MW beside the refer, which has behind it RoadSide ventilation doors, both lower and upper. Only a thin cabinetry-type wall seperates the back, open-spaces behind the MW and the refer ventilation-doors.

I plan to cut a 4" or 5" hole in that wall and use flexible ductwork and an exhaust fan to pull air thru the front-grille, around the MW, and exhaust it thru the upper refer ventilation door. This should help the MW stay cool as well as prevent the MW heat from entering the coach, and simultaneously provide exhaust "impetus" to assist the refer in it's task via the provided air movement.

This thread gives me motivation to proceed with the plan and post it.

Perhaps a similar modification might help you as well?
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote