Old 08-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
rv microwave???

We are buying a new 05 safari 25', it doesn't come with a microwave. We were wondering if we could just buy a household microwave and put it in there, hubby wants to build a shelf under over head cabinet over the stove. we need to buy an rv microwave.

safari05-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
A better question yet is do you really need a microwave? We don't have one in our Safari and other than popcorn, I can't think of one thing I miss about not having a microwave.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Tiny one

I agree. I put one in my 22 ft CCD, but haven't moved it to the 25 FB SE. I'm looking for a tiny one that IS just big enough to do popcorn, do soup on a cold day, or heat a cuppa water for tea.

I baked Danish in my oven the other day and have been grilling bacon outside. You forget how much better food tastes when it's cooked rather than zapped!

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I mostly zap water for tea, but I just picked up a 12 volt heating unit for a single cup and it works fast.

Here's a tiny microwave and I have a link somewhere for it with an adapter for us current. I'll keep looking. Otherwise Tappan has the next smallest, I think.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
. , .
hi stone crest...
sure you can put a household unit in the airstream...that is exactly what airstream does.....they are just household models on a shelf, plugged into an outlet...a trim piece hides this...and makes the mwave look special.

i mostly use the convection feature in mine and without a regular oven it is the way to brown things....

as for heating water, making tea or popcorn i almost always use the lpgas need for a/c power then and quicker than a microwave for me.

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Western , Oregon
Originally Posted by stonecrest2
We are buying a new 05 safari 25', it doesn't come with a microwave. We were wondering if we could just buy a household microwave and put it in there, hubby wants to build a shelf under over head cabinet over the stove. we need to buy an rv microwave.
We opted for a microwave/convection oven in our new 2005 28' CCD, which had a propane oven in it before purchase. The cost to convert with the dealership was about $500, including the retrofit ordered and installed by our dealer from AS, making things fit into the spaces provided. We are very happy with the conversion, and love the options with the Microwave/convection. Please consider this if you want the look to remain similar and the options provided by the conversion.
Jim & Cheryl

2005 28' CCD

2013 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.5' bed, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.73 rear axle, Max Tow Pkg
Equalizer hitch
Honda 3000 genset
WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida

We also have a 25' Safari FB that came without a microwave. We purchased a small one for $47.99 at WalMart. It is silver and brushed stainless, and very "Airstream" looking. It works great. We have it installed on top of our range cover with two of those little TV straps to keep it in place while underway. It is easily disconnected in order to use the stove top.

We differ in opinion from some of the other posters. Given a choice between the microwave and the stove, we would keep the former. We are planning to remodel our sofa area next to the refer. we are going to build a cabinet for our toaster oven (we store it in the oven) and our beloved microwave.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Stone--suppose everyone has their way of doing things. My suggestion would be to look at how much you use a micro at home. think you'll find your cooking habits aren't all that much different in the trailer especially on extended trips. Wife does lots of baking in the regular oven and we cook on the stove top or outdoors on the grill. Our 30' classic came with a micro and oven. Like most it's used to heat things and an occasional pop corn, much like we do at home. The difference, storage space and weight it is not a issue at home. If we had it to do over I think we would opt for a couple more drawers instead. Personal preference of course.---Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:50 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
Mickleton , New Jersey
Tappan Microwave not working

We just returned from 5 days camping at Jersey Shore Airstream Haven. Still testing out our new 2007 23' Safari that came with a wall mounted Tappan microwave oven. After setting the clock I thought I would use the oven and heat up my coffee. I chose the beverage button and it started to heat up with a preset timer to >3 minutes. I hit stop and went for my own selection of 30 seconds. Once I hit start it stopped, nothing, circuit breaker trip. Unable to reset breaker. I miss the clock. Missed the microwave over the 5 days. Anyone have problems with microwave tripping. No Air Conditioning on at the time. Any help I would appreciate. Love microwave pizza.

Larry Smith
Mickleton, NJ
2007 23' Safari SE
2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
mickleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:19 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member
1981 31' Excella II
Jonestown , Tx
We've always had just a store bought home microwave in our 80 excella, no problem. I love to cook outdoors but you can't always depend on the weather, I don't know what i'd do without mine. Sometimes you just need to warm up your cup of Joe or fix an easy frozen dinner after a full day of fun.
ya-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:04 AM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I actually prefer the gas oven to the microwave. Best I can tell the only difference between a "normal" microwave and a RV microwave is the price and the mounting flange. BTW the RV microwave is more expensive to purchase.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
My 16' CCD doesn't have much room to mount a microwave for a permanent installation. I bought a .7 cubic foot (several makes and models available in this size) and made a couple of 'legs' out of 2 X 4 lumber, so that it sits over the cook top. When underway, it rides on the floor under the dinette table on a small pad for shock protection. It's just part of the set up routine when we stop for the night.

When we go on a dry camping trip with no hook ups, I leave it at home and save the weight & space.

Another consideration is the wattage rating - if you have a generator, look for a micro wave that you can power up with the generator.

This set up has worked great for us.
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
As some of the previous posts note... it all depends on what you intend to do with the mw. My original mw is still working and my coach does not have a stove. So it's the tool box lp grill or the microwave for me. If the original ever gives up I'll replace it with a convection/microwave for all the reasons already stated.
"your installation may vary."
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #14
AIR #8691
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
A microwave came with our Safari and at the time I thought that was very important appliance that would get a lot of use because we do more cooking in than eating out. However after awhile I noticed that the microwaves’ use is limited to heating water and reheating food. But it is nice to know it is there.

BTW: We carried a small TV around on a three-week trip and never used it. Is it strange that we never felt the need to watch TV while on the road? I guess it’s a lifestyle question. It appears that our Airsteam traveling lifestyle is to get away from our normal day-to-day routines. I really thought we would watch TV and I planned to hook-up a satellite receiver- -but the reality changed that plan.

JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote