Old 04-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
DIY vent

I've found a guy to polish my Airstream and I was stripping off everything that I could to make it easy and clean. I pulled this vent off for the polishing and it's always been an eyesore for me. When I pulled it off, the cracks that were there totally failed, and the thing is junk. I happen to have a shop that works in stainless so yesterday I pulled some scrap together and built this. I gave it the same radius that the plastic one has and it matches the contour of the trailer.

I'll post up some pics once I mount it back up.

-Kevin

I thought about it more... Because I'm deleting the flap (14g stainless is far too heavy to open with the slight puff of fan power) there could be a chance of road spray going up the perforated part. So I added a little dam on the back so water can't just run in there.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Middle River , Maryland
We usually put a spring loaded clothspin on the range vent cover to remind us to lock the flapper down. We use that clothspin to hold the flapper open with fan on low speed. It's a little extra work, but the new SS range vent cover looks so good on the AS.

rastapoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:43 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Victor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdamer View Post
I replaced the plastic vent with the stainless version too. It's an easy swap. I used ample butyl tape to seal it, as recommended by my dealer, along with the included foam.

I am about to install mine and want to use butyl tape as well. Did you put the tape under the foam gasket in contact with the trailer (i.e. from top to bottom vent, gasket, tape, trailer) or another way?
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:45 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
I used the butyl tape along the inside perimeter of the foam gasket and along the edges and under each screw. I left the gasket touching the trailer skin and the vent.

Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote