Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Krum , Texas
Question Replace stove with stovetop and microwave convection oven

I want to take out the stove (because I cannot light the oven) and replace it with a stove top and a microwave convection oven. Any advice as to how to proceed would be appreciated.
dorisbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi dorisbranch -- welcome to the forum.

This should be do-able. This thread could provide some hints about how to reverse engineer a solution for you -- Microwave shelf fails. The horizontal piece of wood between the stovetop and microwave would be easy to install if you know a woodworker with a Kreg jig (PM me if you run out of options). You could use any hardwood for this -- I know my dealer replaced something similar and just applied adhesive-backed woodgrain paper to it -- that should work, as it doesn't really take any wear sitting where it sits.

It doesn't have to be a Sharp compact microwave -- although we're very pleased with the Sharp in our Safari as well as a large convection Sharp in our home. But be aware that a size small enough to fit will have quite a small lazy susan inside. The diagonal dimension of an 8 x 8 aluminum cakepan interferes with the walls inside and won't rotate with the lazy susan. We have a circular silicon cakepan and other round cooking containers that work just fine as camping accessories. We love our convection microwave!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Krum , Texas
I was thinking of getting a Contoure microwave convection oven to put into the hole. Has anybody had any experience with that brand?

Also, I am not sure where to begin with the removal of the Amana stove. I see screws along the sides at the top. If I take those out, and disconnect the copper line which is screwed to the stove will is come out? Or is there more to disconnect?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorisbranch View Post
I want to take out the stove (because I cannot light the oven) and replace it with a stove top and a microwave convection oven. Any advice as to how to proceed would be appreciated.
I did the opposite. I had the convection micro removed and the gas oven installed. It is quite doable. I had the factory do it since it involved cabinetry work.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just curious, is the only reason you are considering this conversion that you are unable to light the gas oven? I would think that figuring out what is causing this problem so that you can use the gas oven would be a whole lot cheaper than replacing the entire setup. Also, there are other things to consider, especially if you don't normally camp in places with electric hookups.

Specifically, if you boondock and don't have a generator or a lot of solar panels, a large battery bank, and a huge inverter, you won't be able to use the microwave, or the convection oven (assuming it is also electric). Also, since you also mentioned replacing the stovetop, is that an electric stovetop? If it's 110 VAC, you may find that it works more like a hotplate than like your electric stovetop at home, because they don't put out as much heat. And, if it's 220 VAC, you may need to convert your Airstream to 50 amp service and/or 220 volts. (I don't know much about this; does 50 amp provide 220 volts? I'm sure others can answer this question.)

Could I ask what difficulties you encounter when attempting to light the oven?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Krum , Texas
Thanks for the input. I prefer the microwave convection oven because it is easier to use. And I do not do much camping where there is no electricity. The stove top will still be gas. As an update, we have removed the stove. Turns out all it required was removing the screws around the top, disconnecting the copper gas supply line and getting my strong son-in-law to pull it out.

As to why I do not like the gas oven---well, we have had several motorhomes and some of the ovens I could light at first, then it became so difficult that I just did not want to get down on my knees and waste my time trying to light them. I was never able to light the one in the Airstream. We used it as a storage compartment. We are trying to make this little Airstream more comfortable and functional for two old fogeys. We are 66 years old.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I am an old fogey too, but manage the oven. Doesn't yours have a pilot light mode?
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
In wish you lived closer, I would love to buy the oven from you. My 03 classic only has the micro/convec and I like cooking with the gas oven. How much would you be asking, presuming you are selling?
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I pulled my Stove/Oven out and put in a Euro cooktop with folding glass lid. It looks great and I have gained counter space. We also put in a small bar sink and faucet as well. All Stainless. My wife loves the look. Here is a picture or two. I must mention that I had to replace the countertop during the retro.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0576-2.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	137922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581-1.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	137923  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0582-2.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	137924  
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I agree the Amana oven is hard to light, especially when it hasn't been used for a while. I get down on the floor, use a wooden match (longer than a regular match), use a flashlight to see the pilot, and my wife holds down the knob (otherwise I'd have to be triple jointed). But it is possible there's something wrong with yours and a warranty claim might be in order. Certainly the design of the Amana is terrible and has been for years—there are several threads about this on the Forum and others have opted, as you, to replace the Amana gas oven.

But you've already got it out. If you and Mac could meet halfway and exchange ovens, that might be cheaper, or ship them. Cheaper would only work if you are both taking trips toward each other since last I looked, PEI and Texas are about 3,500 miles apart. Shipping would probably be very expensive and not practical. Maybe you can list the stove in the classifieds on the Forum.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I take the door off. It makes the lighting easier.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
euro cooktop

Hey Montanablue

can I ask where you got that neat Euro cooktop ?

I am looking for a cooktop and want something nice.

thanks,

mark
Old 10-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cooktop

It's almost certainly a "SMEV" - which is now marketed by Dometic. You can't order it directly from them, but Airstream or perhaps an Airstream dealer could get it for you. Search the internet for "Smev hob" - a "hob" being a burner unit in British English.

I looked into having the factory replace the oven with a convection microwave and put in a 2 burner Smev Hob... The total was over $1100.

If you do this work yourself, make absolutely sure that the gas line to the oven is properly sealed off, preferably UNDER the belly. A dear friend of mine nearly died when a poorly plugged line lost it's plug. If you don't have experience with gas lines, pay a pro for this part of the work!

You will have to replace the countertop too. The profile of the hob is that different.

Happy trails, Paula
Old 10-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
smev

thanks foiled again

I have been trying to find a SMEV 4 burner all week.Its really not available in the US.Panther cant get it.
I can get it from UK,but metric couplings ( I assume,email into uk,waiting for answer) plus its over $500 with uk/$$ bad exchange and shipping...
I cant believe you cant purchase a nice drop-in stainless cooktop stateside.
The Force 10 3 burner is nice,but its very small.
I am looking for something in stainless that looks nice (not cheap) and if it has high BTU's I wont complain.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
cooktop

Also,
new countertops are in,just ready for the cooktop.I will cut the countertop for the cooktop I buy.
I want something trick in stainless,I am eliminating the oven and will eventually/maybe replace micro with convection/micro if I feel the need.
As far as cooking while camping I intend to BBQ Outside 99% of the time anyway.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airline View Post
thanks foiled again

I have been trying to find a SMEV 4 burner all week.Its really not available in the US.Panther cant get it.
I can get it from UK,but metric couplings ( I assume,email into uk,waiting for answer) plus its over $500 with uk/$$ bad exchange and shipping...
I cant believe you cant purchase a nice drop-in stainless cooktop stateside.
The Force 10 3 burner is nice,but its very small.
I am looking for something in stainless that looks nice (not cheap) and if it has high BTU's I wont complain.
Airstream DOES use the 2 burner SMEV in it's smaller units - you CAN get a 3 burner through Airstream - probably for less than importing it from England. I think that the new Shasta's use Smev also. Talk to your local RV retailer - Airstream or not - and see if they'll order one for you at anything resembling a semi reasonable cost.

Paula