Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Replace stove top with electric

I want to remove the propane stovetop and oven. I wish to install an electric stove top only as I am permanently parked. Any ideas - thanks for any response.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Thumbs down Electric---Propane

Well you can give away your 30 Amp 110 volt supply cord ,I believe my home cook top takes 40 Amps 220v,so you need new service,new cable,new panel.Just how much do you hate that propane dealer? Really i don`t know if they make a 110v unit like a hot plate or not,but you still must decide Refriderator,ac or cook I don`t think 30 or 50 amp can handle it all.
Just my thought,I`m no expert.
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Are you parked in Melbourne, or Springfield? Do you have any attachments to the Airstream, such as an enclosed porch or utility building?
In some areas, building codes or RV park rules may prohibit the high-amp service you will need.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Electric Appliances!

One of mom's favorite tools that most of us have forgotten about is
...drumroll please... the ELECTRIC SKILLET.

Eggs, pancakes, fried chicken, stew in modest quantities, anything that comes out of a can or box can be cooked in an electric skillet. Go back to the dutch oven thread and try the pineapple upside down cake in an electric skillet - in the words of Rachael Ray, Yum-O! And of course cleaning an electric skillet is simpler than a nasty stovetop - gas or electric!

Go a little spendy - and get one with a vent in the lid - you won't find it at Wal-mart. I've even successfully baked cookies in one (college, and yes perhaps the memory might have been influenced by certain green herbal substances.) Usually if you want to do baked goods, it's better to turn the temp about 25 degrees below the recipe's recommendaton.

Need more electrical stuff? Get TWO. Of course there are toaster ovens, crock pots, and scores of other electrical appliances that you could use in place of an electrical stove top... and the nicest thing about the small appliances is that if you do a fish fry, you can take it outside and NOT stink up the trailer.

Oh, BTW I did see a three top chafing dish set with a warmer/burner unit on HSN not too long ago. They swore you could cook, not just warm on it. Looked nice and again, great for that lunch in the fresh air.

Happy hunting, Paula
Old 06-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Thanks

Thanks for all the good ideas - I am going to disconnect the propane - purchase an electric skillet and store the skillet in the oven........I never thought of that.......Get R Done
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote