Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
TOME , New Mexico
Replace oven with convection microwave?

Just wondering if this is a bad idea or not? The oven doesn't work, and I am thinking that a microwave would be more practical anyways. I'm just concerned about wiring and venting. I read in a past post that I wouldn't need to vent the microwave. But the wiring may be an issue depending on the wattage of the microwave? ANY input is gratefully appreciated!
guadalupegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
We went the other way. We removed the convection microwave that came with the trailer and replaced it with a propane range/oven combo. My wife did not like the results from the convection microwave. We bought a small (.7 cu. ft, 700 watt) microwave that works great. Convection microwave did have a dedicated circuit wired to it from the factory.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Why not both?

I have both for several reasons.

I can use the standard oven when not plugged in.

I use my Sharp Grill 2 convection when plugged in.

The Sharp does not require outside venting. There is a learning curve but the user's manual is very instructional. A 12 in. pizza placed directly on the metal turntable comes out perfect with a wonderful crispy crust. The Sharp grills steaks beautifully.

I also purchased a set of vintage Corning Ware NIB for less than $25 on ebay because it can be used on the stovetop, in the conventional oven, in the Sharp on either the microwave or convection setting. The Corning Ware has removable handles which is great for storage and makes the pans useable as skillets or casserole.

A lot depends on your cooking and camping style.

Hope This Helps,

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Our new trailer has the micro/convection combo. I am thinking about replacing it with the basic oven like the old trailers we had. The old oven worked when we were camping without electricity. The micro/convection does not. Since we do most cooking outdoors when we camp it isn't a big issue.
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Grl,

Take a look at the many "do you use your oven" threads.

Broadly, the answer depends on where you camp and your style of camping, traveling, and cooking. In the desert southwest you can more or less count on being able to cook outside and if that's your thing maybe you don't need an oven. Those of us who live where it rains need plan B.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We recently switched out our microwave/ convection oven for the regular oven. The controls and display on the convection/ microwave were too low and I found that I needed to kneel on the floor to see/ set the temp and time. Plus the controls were non- intuitive so I had to drag out the manual to figure it out each time. ( we're still working so our trips aren't as often as we'd like)

I'm much happier with the regular oven. We may get a small microwave for the closet but we may not. Haven't seen the need yet.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
I would never give up my oven!!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
We replaced our conventional microwave with a convection when we found a unit on sale during our tour of the Airstream factory. Since we primarily use our Airstream at campgrounds with electricity, we are very happy with it and find it has more features than conventional units. It fits in the same place as the original unit and does not require additional venting. It did come with a trim plate to surround the front of the unit.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Since we use a convection oven at home it was no biggy to use the one that came in our Safari Sport. My wife loves to bake and it does a superb job baking, roasting, making popcorn, or broiling a steak, somethings the propane oven just can't do well. If we are boondocking the Honda jenny takes care of the elecrical needs. We would never go back to the limited functionaliy of the propane oven. It is not vented but opening a window slightly and turning on the Fantastic fan works well.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
The factory convection microwave, combined with the usual gas burner cooktop, is a flexible combination, and does everything we need. We were skeptical about not having a normal oven like in our previous trailer, but in practice we haven't missed it.

We don't camp anywhere we don't have shore power, but if we did, the menu would just have to come from the stovetop!

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
TOME , New Mexico
Talking thanks!

I think it is official... I will keep the oven, and also get a small microwave. Now to repair or replace the oven! Thank you all for your input, it is a true blessing to have found the site!
guadalupegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Your initial question was whether the wiring could handle it, wasn't it? Assuming you don't go crazy with a HUGE COMERCIAL MONSTER, there will be no issue with the wiring as long as you have it on a seperate circuit. We get a laugh out of people having issues with "convection" ovens not "cooking right" and prefering there "regular ovens to "them". A regular oven IS a convection oven!
pattydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Compact Microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by guadalupegrl View Post
I think it is official... I will keep the oven, and also get a small microwave. Now to repair or replace the oven! Thank you all for your input, it is a true blessing to have found the site!
Thought I would suggest this microwave for you and others with limited space. DH and I use this in our 18 wheeler. It is great for people that use their microwave to reheat food, coffee, or make popcorn. It is very lightweight, portable and stores easily. It is spendier than regular small home units but was worth it to us for the gains in space and portability.

Perfect Little Compact Microwave Oven, Best Portable Smallest Microwaves

We use a Nesco Oven (slowcooks,bakes, roasts), electric skillet, and Crockpot 20 oz. Food Warmer for about everything else while working on the road.

So if your use of a microwave is limited this may be a great solution.

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Does anyone have an Airstream factory Micro/Convection for sale? Please PM me so we can discuss it.
regards, BV
Old 12-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Good move. You want the oven. We had an oven added. Making a pie in the convection oven dry camping running on a honda 2000 is just not a fun experience.

We had an oven installed after that. Use it all the time for pizzas, meatloaf, you name it. Good luck.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Which Oven Brand?

I see multiple people on this thread that put in new ovens. I am afraid I may also be to that point. What brand/model ovens did you put in? My current Magic Chef has a 4 burner top and an oven. I think a 3 burner top would be better, but we still need the oven.
So what did you put in?

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1995 36' Cutter Bus LE
Largo, Florida , Florida
Quote:
Too Bad we're at different ends of the country but we're going the convection route and today I just removed our Magic Chef oven from our '66 Overlander. It is spotless inside!!
brodjeaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I am in the process of planning a trade with a friend who has the same trailer model as mine except that mine has an oven (which is used only for storage and which she covets) and hers has a cooktop and drawers (both of which which I covet).

The stoves are suspended from a metal frame and held in only by 4 screws and the gas connection. I'll need to remove the drawer hardware and framing from hers and my oven will slide right in. It will take me just a bit longer to install the drawers in mine, but my hobby is cabinet work, so that is minor.

The cabinet tops are different, so that swapping the folding covers will be more trouble than swapping the actual stoves. My cover was a bear to get unhooked so I'll just leave it off until we do the swap.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I am in the process of planning a trade with a friend who has the same trailer model as mine except that mine has an oven (which is used only for storage and which she covets) and hers has a cooktop and drawers (both of which which I covet).

The stoves are suspended from a metal frame and held in only by 4 screws and the gas connection. I'll need to remove the drawer hardware and framing from hers and my oven will slide right in. It will take me just a bit longer to install the drawers in mine, but my hobby is cabinet work, so that is minor.

The cabinet tops are different, so that swapping the folding covers will be more trouble than swapping the actual stoves. My cover was a bear to get unhooked so I'll just leave it off until we do the swap.
Having seen some of that cabinet work, I have no doubt it will look great!! pics as you progress?

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
bumping in on an old thread here..

but how much power does a convection/micro oven use.. ?? i have seen comments on dry vs hooked up camping using one but no power or watts usage figures..

also how long is one, convection type, needed for say frozen pizza's. I know in my conventional elec oven at home it takes some 15-18 min depending on size, thickness of crust etc.. and that is with a 5-8 min preheat time.

so when dry camping with say 2 batteries and a good 300 watt proper solar system would LP be better over all or combo convection/micro.. cooking during sunlight times for batteries to recharge before dark.??

now how about a three combo,, lp, convection, micro oven... WOW i just blew my own mind...

happy july 4th to all the AirForum folks.. i truly feel a kinship to many of you i have never met.

carl
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote