Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Refurbish or Replace '70s vintage 4 burner cooktop

I'm working on modernizing the main kitchen cabinet which will include a new wood custom base cabinet and a slightly used white corian counter with corian sink. We have the original Magic Chef wall oven which I plan on keeping since I do plan on using it for baking and cooking. What I'm up in the air about is what to do with the existing cooktop.

It works well enough but it isn't that pretty. There is some rust staining on the folding top, the porcelain is chipped a bit on the ends of the grates and there is some peeling paint on the bottom of the pan that holds all the components. I can spend some time on cleaning it up, and use some high temp paint to paint the pan. I'm thinking I can find one of the rubberized abrasive wheels to use to touch up the brushed surface of the top folding cover and the top of the cooktop. So probably about 30 or 40 bucks in materials and maybe 10-12 hours of work to make it look presentable again, though the burner grates will probably still be a bit chipped on the ends (anybody know of some way to have them re-porcelainized?)

Or I could get a new smaller drop in unit like an Atwood or Suburban 3 burner unit for around 150 plus shipping and call it a day. That might be OK, but they seem to be on the small size compared to the existing unit. There are also some smaller 4 burner units that would be about the same size as the original unit (20" wide) for about 280 to 450 over at AJ Madison as one potential source.

So let me put up some pix of what I have and tell me what you think. For sure a new unit would be nice, but I have lots of other things to spend money on as well, and we all know how much of a money pit these projects can be.

Here is a new Fridgidare for about 450:

A Summit for about 310:

A verona for about 450:

Feel free to chip in with thoughts and opinions.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
If you've got the time & ambition to polish it up, go for it! If you want new & shiny, get a new one. It won't matter as far as "original" if that's what's keeping you from purchasing new (other than the $). I cleaned up a pretty nasty stove & used very fine sandpaper to get it nice & shiny. I wouldn't stress about the grates....use a little black grill paint on them. If it works fine and you want to use your budget in other places, you surely can clean it up nicely!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think you will be better off new. I believe what you have is a coating on top of steel. If you sand it, you will just sand the coating off and you will be left with bare steel.

If you paint, you will have the risk of toxic fumes when cooking.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I beg to differ, Perry. I sanded with very fine paper, wet (2000) and the coating wasn't sanded off. It was as close to a mirror finish that a stove top can have. He can give it a shot if he wants. (or buy new if he wants, for that mattter :-) )

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I think you will be better off new. I believe what you have is a coating on top of steel. If you sand it, you will just sand the coating off and you will be left with bare steel.

Perry
Perry, do you think if I used high temp primer and paint the folding top would hold up to normal wear and tear? I do think its not stainless since magnets stick to it very well.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 03-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
I beg to differ, Perry. I sanded with very fine paper, wet (2000) and the coating wasn't sanded off. It was as close to a mirror finish that a stove top can have. He can give it a shot if he wants. (or buy new if he wants, for that mattter :-) )

Becky
I'm all for saving some bucks where I can. I'm looking at a new fridge and a flat panel for this phase of the renovation and unlike the Geico man, I'm not made of money...

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 03-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Thanks for the research and pictures to show the difference. We still have the 4-burner in our 72 International and are looking at upgrading next year. This year we replaced the three lights and fans with 18 LEDs (sets of six, three forward, three galley and three mid bed room), a new Dometic 15K HP, three fantastic-vents, new 30A inverter. So next years project is the galley.
We were researching the Dickerson Mediterranean, but due to the furnace in which we kept, space is an issue.
I like the Frigidaire configuration. Why? If we end up doing the galley it will include replacing the refrigerator as well. We'd like to keep it all stainless, not to keep up with the style, but the stainless would be the easiest to compliment a complete do over. With SS door panels, stove tops and so on any other style refrigerator would have the wood style door panels which are very difficult to match the 70's veneer.
We looked at redoing our stove top, but would also like to go to a newer stove with safety features, flame out safety, ignition things like that.
With threads like this, it really helps in deciding as these upgrades are not cheap, but you want to ensure that the extra $50-100 dollars is well spent.

Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

SL4BLLT

SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The problem is there is already rust through the coating. The burner section might be stainless steel. You can try sanding it from the bottom and see if there is a coating or not. Kitchen fixtures are made of ferritic stainless steel which is magnetic. So it could be steel or stainless steel. Steel will rust in a few hours with water exposure. I am not sure what type of paint to use. The reason they use porcelain is because it will not burn or melt.

Perry
Old 03-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The problem is there is already rust through the coating. The burner section might be stainless steel. You can try sanding it from the bottom and see if there is a coating or not. Kitchen fixtures are made of ferritic stainless steel which is magnetic. So it could be steel or stainless steel. Steel will rust in a few hours with water exposure. I am not sure what type of paint to use. The reason they use porcelain is because it will not burn or melt.

Perry
I think you're right. I'm guessing the original coating was brushed chrome. I tried sanding it a bit with a fine sanding sponge and it removed some of the surface staining and superficial scratches but the darker spots are where it rusted through to the base metal and those arent going to sand out. So if I want to use this cooktop I need to figure out how to make that top look presentable.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 03-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Have you looked for some RV salvage places. Most RV's are not used and don't last more than 10 yrs so there are lots of good generic RV appliances out there. Virginia is probably too snooty and over regulated but I bet you might find some in KY and WV.

Perry
Old 03-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
So let me put up some pix of what I have and tell me what you think. For sure a new unit would be nice, but I have lots of other things to spend money on as well, and we all know how much of a money pit these projects can be.
I liked the look of the Verona. I found out the model number is VECTG424SS and I was falling in love with it when saw noticed that the circuit that ignites the gas is 120V only.

For me that is a stopper. My wife would appreciate a real RV one, one that will light up from a 12V circuit.

I didn't look at the others you showed yet, but I have a feeling they are house units, and of course, 120V.

I have yet to see a new modern stovetop cooker that has more than three elements. No big deal, just an irritant.

[Edit:] Yeah, pretty sure the other two are at least 120V as well. The only specs I found for the Summit talked about that it was 220V!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I liked the look of the Verona. I found out the model number is VECTG424SS and I was falling in love with it when saw noticed that the circuit that ignites the gas is 120V only.

For me that is a stopper. My wife would appreciate a real RV one, one that will light up from a 12V circuit.

I didn't look at the others you showed yet, but I have a feeling they are house units, and of course, 120V.

I have yet to see a new modern stovetop cooker that has more than three elements. No big deal, just an irritant.

[Edit:] Yeah, pretty sure the other two are at least 120V as well. The only specs I found for the Summit talked about that it was 220V!

The 120v starter wouldn't be a stopper if I went that way, I anticipate this trailer being used on a full hookup most of the time and when its not, a long reach lighter would fire it up.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 03-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Another thing I got to wondering about: is the gas we get in our homes exactly the same as the LP gas we buy for our trailers?

I am not an expert but this question has come up here before, and I wish I could remember the answer.

I agree, no big thang to use a BBQ lighter when you are travelling. But those suckers are around 400 bucks. It feels funny to have to do a work-around when I am doing what this trailer is all about: travelling...
Old 03-05-2014, 05:17 AM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Another thing I got to wondering about: is the gas we get in our homes exactly the same as the LP gas we buy for our trailers?
If you get your gas from an underground pipe, no, it's not the same. Liquefied Petroleum Gas (bottled gas) is mostly propane and heavier than air. Compressed Natural Gas (piped gas) is mostly butane and lighter than air.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you get your gas from an underground pipe, no, it's not the same. Liquefied Petroleum Gas (bottled gas) is mostly propane and heavier than air. Compressed Natural Gas (piped gas) is mostly butane and lighter than air.

Understood. The tops that I looked at online are convertible either on their own or with a kit to LPG or NG. From propane.pro site:
One cubic foot (ft3) of natural gas contains 1,030 BTUs and one cubic foot of propane gas contains 2,516 BTUs, giving propane about twice the energy content of natural gas.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 03-05-2014, 05:36 AM   #16
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Aquinob,
The old stuff is worth fixing/refurbishing in my opinion. There is no comparison in the build quality between a new Magic Chef RV cooktop and the original one you have. Most of the new RV stuff is cheap. Cheap stuff doesn't last. Now if you are talking about a new Dickinson stove or cook top, that is a different story. They are the best quality.

Clean it up. Remove the rust as best you can. Try soaking it is vinegar for a few days, then, as Becky stated, polish it up with fine steel wool or fine Scotchbrite pads. If it still doesn't look as good as you'd like, send the parts off to be chrome plated. Plating is expensive, but you will have a high quality, beautiful, original 4 burner cook top when you are done. It will last indefinitely with proper care.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #17
65will

1969 25' Tradewind
Greenwich , New York
clean, paint, and polish

I have the same unit in my 69. If everything works clean, polish and paint. I used High temp paint on the surface under the burner tubes. Polished the cover. The cover is not perfect but after camping, and useing it for 2 years no new rust. This stove seems well made and works better then any I had in my other trailers. Mostly Domatics. Good luck on whatever you decide. I like my Magic Chef.
65will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Well, I've posted a WTB ad to see if I can scare up a similar cooktop in better condition and will see about getting the folding top and or the plate that holds the grates either powder or ceramic coated. Not really sure if the powder coating will hold up to the temp, I would think the ceramic would. Just an issue of the cost then. Will see where this goes.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 03-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
powder-coat the visible parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
Well, I've posted a WTB ad to see if I can scare up a similar cooktop in better condition and will see about getting the folding top and or the plate that holds the grates either powder or ceramic coated. Not really sure if the powder coating will hold up to the temp, I would think the ceramic would. Just an issue of the cost then. Will see where this goes.
If you get two, let me know

I was wondering about powder-coating it, too. That stuff is tough and will withstand heat, right? Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Also, I think the gas 'path' in mine needs looked at. I wonder if a rebuild kit for the burners exists (still?), and I have a sneaking suspicion that the on/off valve has a very slow leak.

Funny the thoughts that go through your mind during a long, hard-frozen winter!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
SL4BLLT,

Where did you find that Dickinson?
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote