Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Question Range Ignitor Quit on One Burner

Tried to light up the front burner on my one-year old Atwood range today (still under warranty). The other two burners light when you turn the knob to Lite and rotate the sparker knob. The front one, which was working a month ago, doesn't light. I tried a match and it lights fine, so it's not a gas problem.

I looked close at the ignitor and can't see any spark when the knob is turned. I do see a spark on the other burners that do light.

Is there a quick fix for this or another warranty repair to add to my list?

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
A common cause of your problem is that the ignitor wire has pulled loose from that burner. Lift up the top of the stove (that exposes the bottom parts of the burners) and you can check on the wire.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Thanks Tim. I'll try that tomorrow when I'm back at the trailer.

Randy

Old 05-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Had the same problem. As you notice, the current from the igniter is made to jump a gap of up to 3/8", thus creating the spark to ignite the propane burner. Unfortunately the insulation on the igniter wire is much too thin to contain the high voltage current it carries, allowing some of the power to travel right through the plastic insulation to a convenient ground under the right situation.

I found that the wire leading from the igniter to the burner was shorting, and observed much of the power igniter leaking onto the metal structure of the stove anywhere the wire was on or close to metal.

The fix is to route the wire from the igniter to the burner in a way that maintains an air gap the entire distance. I simply put each ignition wire from the igniter inside a piece of 1/2" split flex tubing. The ridges on the flex tubing create and hold an air gap all the way to the burners, while the flex tubing itself also adds additional insulation. Something like THIS. Ever since the fix the igniters on the stove have worked flawlessly the first time every time.

- Kurt
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
You should be able to see if the igniter wire is connected by just twisting the burner free and lifting it up....may have to lift the cooktop to reach the wire unless you can fish it out and plug it back in.
smlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Avila Beach , California
We have the same problem and was ready just to settle on using a match, however these responses are very helpful...I love the forum (mostly)

"don't let life get in the way of living"
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Tried to unscrew the burner but doesn't seem to want to turn. Looks like I need to remove the cooktop to have a look underneath, but can't try that until we stop using the range on this weekend's outing.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 05-31-2015, 05:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOGRIDER View Post
We have the same problem and was ready just to settle on using a match, however these responses are very helpful...I love the forum (mostly)
Yep!

Maggie
Old 06-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Can't Get Range Top Off

After our weekend outing I tried to remove the range top. The instructions say to slide it back against the spring clips, and then lift the front clear of the tabs that hold it down. The slide back was no problem, although the clips are pretty stiff, but there is no way the front edge was coming up. The top slides under the burners, and they hold it down. As I said in a previous post, the burners don't seem to unscrew either.

If nobody else has any ideas, I think I'm just going to use a match to light the front burner and have Airstream fix it when we stop at the Service Center in October.

Randy

Old 06-08-2015, 05:38 AM   #10
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
On my 2015, I turned the burners about a quarter turn to get the clips free, then disconnect the igniter wire and pull the burner sort of away from the gas line, up and out. The front edge on the two sides slip under a couple of tabs...you have to sort of jiggle it around to get it free. A lighte works until you get to the dealer of course...good luck !
smlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
A common cause of your problem is that the ignitor wire has pulled loose from that burner. Lift up the top of the stove (that exposes the bottom parts of the burners) and you can check on the wire.

Tim
We had the same problem with one of the burners on our stove. Sure enough, when I lifted the top while camping last week, the igniter wire to that burner was disconnected. These forums are great!!
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We had the same problem. Airstream replaced the igniter wire which had cracked, fortunately still under warranty.