Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Vintage Kin Owner
Katy , Texas
Range hood exhaust

I didn’t think it would come to this, but could someone help me figure out how to remove the charcoal filled mesh grate in the hood in my ’77 Minuet? I thought it would be easy.

It is similar to what you see in residential range hoods that blow the exhaust back into the room - but our hoods exhaust to the exterior. After 35 years the charcoal rains down a constant shower of dust onto the stove and counter as I travel. I cannot see any retaining clips and it is a tight fit in its housing. I am reluctant to simply get a bigger pry bar because I’m sure something would break.

I also don’t see why it has to have the charcoal in it anyway since it vents outside. I would like to replace the charcoal with some type of mesh that would catch the grease and not gum up the vent fan and ductwork but would not rain charcoal dust onto the counter. Something I could take out periodically and hose down. Any ideas on what would be a good substitue would be helpful. I'm thinking a buch of nylon scrubby pads.

Any direction would be most appreciated. I have looked through several threads about these hoods and haven’t seen one where anybody had trouble getting the “filter” out.

Thanks! And see you down the road.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
You probably have to push the filter to the back or front against a hidden spring. You should be able to push it far enough to expose an edge that you can grab with a knife blade or such to pry down. That's how my home vent works, anyway - not sure about the Bambi.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
1975 Argosy 22
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Camrose , Alberta
I took the bigger pry bar approach on my 75. bent the filter. still did not find any "hidden fasteners". I should be able to straighten it out and get it back in when the time comes
AlbertaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Are you sure the mesh is filled with charcoal? If the blower blows out, there's no need to filter the air before it exits. Our home unit has a spring loaded mesh that traps oil, but doesn't filter the air any further.

Maybe what looks like charcoal is just decades of cooking residue? The only reason I am asking is that AS systems tend to be as minimal as they can be.

Disclaimer: I am totally guessing and might be 100% wrong here
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Are you sure the mesh is filled with charcoal? If the blower blows out, there's no need to filter the air before it exits. Our home unit has a spring loaded mesh that traps oil, but doesn't filter the air any further.

Maybe what looks like charcoal is just decades of cooking residue? The only reason I am asking is that AS systems tend to be as minimal as they can be.

Disclaimer: I am totally guessing and might be 100% wrong here
Charcoal filters on range hoods are normally used on hoods that exhaust air back inside. But there is some benefit to filtering air that's exhausted to outside as well, because it helps prevent a buildup of residue around the exhaust vent that would not only be hard to clean but also a fire hazard.

Plus, granular activated charcoal in the filter would trap cooking odors, so that your trailer doesn't smell so much like bear food while you're boondocking!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Katy , Texas
Thanks for all the feedback; think I'll go with a bigger pry bar. I had wondered if the charcoal was to keep cooking oders from attracting wildlife but just can't see Airstream being that concerned with bears in the mid 70's. That was back in the days when I would see people stopped on the Blue Ridge Parkway giving them marshmallows. Once I get it out I'll hit it with some solvent and water pressure to see if it might be years of cooking residue, hadn't considered that.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanCanMan View Post
Thanks for all the feedback; think I'll go with a bigger pry bar. I had wondered if the charcoal was to keep cooking oders from attracting wildlife but just can't see Airstream being that concerned with bears in the mid 70's. That was back in the days when I would see people stopped on the Blue Ridge Parkway giving them marshmallows. Once I get it out I'll hit it with some solvent and water pressure to see if it might be years of cooking residue, hadn't considered that.
If it's a charcoal filter don't use solvent; just replace it. If it's an all-metal filter, you can do what I used to do for the big commercial filters at my dad's restaurant when I was a kid— take it to a coin-op car wash and give it a pressure-wash with warm soapy water. That usually took the grease right out, especially if you spray from back-to-front first, then turn it around to clean the front surface last.

So, if you replace the charcoal filter, you might buy an all-metal filter to replace it.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Katy , Texas
Thanks Protagonist, I'll confirm if it's charcoal, pretty sure it is. I would like to replace the charcoal with a metal mesh simply to make easier to keep clean. Want to trap the grease but not real concerned about the odors. Just don't like the black dust that coats the counters.