Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Range hood dead - fuses OK - no clue

We just had a 'burp' in the power: TV went off and the range hood lights and fan went off, then the TV came right back on but the range hood is still not working. The 12V fuse in the panel is OK and the fuse up in the hood itself is OK. I am at a loss as to what to check next. Every other system in the rig is working just fine.
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Electrical is just detective work. It's a pretty short check list. Power to the switch? Power through the switch? Does the motor run with a jumper? Is the ground good? That's about it. The problem will be solved by the end of the list.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Electrical is just detective work. It's a pretty short check list. Power to the switch? Power through the switch? Does the motor run with a jumper? Is the ground good? That's about it. The problem will be solved by the end of the list.
In order to even start this process to get to the where I can check the switch would require removing the vent hood and disassembling to the point that I could get to the switch guts. We are in a state campground in AZ and I do not have a complete set of tools to tackle this with. I was hoping that there is a reset switch or something other "simple' (obvious to all but me) fix.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Maybe if you post your year, size, and model of unit.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Did you actually test the fuses or did you just eyeball them? If you haven't tested them I would sugest doing so.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
Did you actually test the fuses or did you just eyeball them? If you haven't tested them I would sugest doing so.

Step one: check fuse with meter.
Step two: go buy new fuse
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Maybe if you post your year, size, and model of unit.
Sorry: 2012 27FB International

And the other things on the same fuse are working.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I'm not familiar with the 2012 model. My antique trailer has an outside opening door that opens with a lever. If the door doesn't open all the way, the fan won't come on. It's probably not like yours.

Good luck finding the solution.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
We had the same problem on our 2012 model just a few weeks ago.. both the fan and light were totally dead. My husband figured it was a fuse, but after checking decided it wasn't. It ended up being a loose pin connector.

There's a four pin connector in the wall that you can access by removing the L bracket under the vent. One of the pins on the connectors wasn't seated properly.

Was an easy fix and only took a few minutes!

Hope your problem is that simple!

Kim

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
After removing the screen/filter, there was an inline fuse on a small black box at the back of the hood which was blown. Now if my eyes could just see what all the miniature scribbles on the silver end caps signify...the whole fuse is .5' long! Since the hood is made in Italy, I am hoping that finding a replacement will be fairly easy.

Thanks to all for your advice and encouragement...what a great resource this forum is.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Well I finally tracked down the miniature 250V/3.15Amp fuse. Plugged it in and it blew...repeated, and it blew again. If I jumper it, the fan and lights work just fine. Sorry, but electricity is not my strong suit, and I am stumped once again. In my ignorance, I am tempted to just fashion a jumper from a piece of wire and leave it, but I'm unsure as to what could be the unintended consequence. More wisdom please.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
What is the make and model of the range hood? Did the camper come with manufacturer manual on the range hood? Does it give you the correct size fuse for that range hood?

The fuse is there to protect something delicate upstream from it and as it did when you had the power surge or pulse, blow and do its job. I would not jump the fuse and direct wire the unit to the power source. Confirm the fuse size (there are variations in those too - SLOW BURN or thermal fuse is one). Figure out what caused the surge to the unit - shore power or camper problem? Fix that and change the fuse.

PLAN B: CALL AIRSTREAM Service Center and see if they have the info. The replacement fuse you mention does not seem the correct ratings for that application BUT I also am not the expert. You do have a warrenty - you may want to document an issue for the record with a service call and email for a reference.

Good Luck,
Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
What is the make and model of the range hood? Did the camper come with manufacturer manual on the range hood? Does it give you the correct size fuse for that range hood?

The fuse is there to protect something delicate upstream from it and as it did when you had the power surge or pulse, blow and do its job. I would not jump the fuse and direct wire the unit to the power source. Confirm the fuse size (there are variations in those too - SLOW BURN or thermal fuse is one). Figure out what caused the surge to the unit - shore power or camper problem? Fix that and change the fuse.

PLAN B: CALL AIRSTREAM Service Center and see if they have the info. The replacement fuse you mention does not seem the correct ratings for that application BUT I also am not the expert. You do have a warrenty - you may want to document an issue for the record with a service call and email for a reference.

Good Luck,
Mike
The manual for the range hood is silent on tech info, and 1/2 is in Italian where it was made.

I went w/ the Fast-acting fuse rather than Slow-acting on the assumption that the slow ones are for motors that surge draw at startup.

I'm going off the truly minute scratchings on the miniature fuse ends, but they do correspond to the 250V fuses at Radio Shack. I will contact Airstream for correct info and also to document the issue.

The burp has so momentary that it would be hard to localize as to shore vs rig.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by motozen

The manual for the range hood is silent on tech info, and 1/2 is in Italian where it was made.

I went w/ the Fast-acting fuse rather than Slow-acting on the assumption that the slow ones are for motors that surge draw at startup.

I'm going off the truly minute scratchings on the miniature fuse ends, but they do correspond to the 250V fuses at Radio Shack. I will contact Airstream for correct info and also to document the issue.

The burp has so momentary that it would be hard to localize as to shore vs rig.

Thanks!
Motown,

Did you get this resolved? I have the same range hood and my fuse just blew. Wondering how you fixed the issue permanently?

Don
Old 07-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Sorry, should have read Motozen not Motown. The word suggestor on this phone is more of a nuisance than a help.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Motozen, I believe the 2012 hoods are the same as 2011. There is a fuse holder in the hood itself. I have a copy of the Service literature and will try to attach it here.

Drew
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Baraldi Range Hood Diagram.pdf (485.5 KB, 270 views)
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
The hoods are attractive, but I think the switch assy is cheap. If you press on it too hard you can push it into the hood. It's an easy fix, but still feels cheap. Luckily we keep a couple of long wooden cooking utensils onboard. After removing the filter, you have a lot of room to all of the components.

Good Luck
Old 07-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #18
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Bought a replacement fuse at radio shack and it is working again. The fuse was a 3.15 amp 250 volt, and it is not mentioned in either the Baraldi range hood manual or the Airstream parts manual.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
DMT, was it a standard or mini fuse?
Old 07-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #20
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Not sure what standard would be, but this is a glass fuse, slow burn type. The writing on it uses some kind of proprietary Italian font size that is impossible to see with the human eye. My wife could see it but I would need a scanning electron microscope.