Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
Question about stove/oven

Qusstion
I am new to the AirStream family and know nothing really about them so here is my question , I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A 1975 ARGOSY 26 FT AND IT HAS A GAS STOVE , I HAVE TUNED ON THE GAS STOVE AND COULD HERE THE GAS , QUESTION THE STOVE? IT DID NOT LIGHT BY IT SELF. NOT REALLY SURE WHEN IT WAS LAST USED. LIKE I SAID I COULD HERE THE GAS , DID TRY TO LITE IT, BUT IT WOULD NOT FIRE UP .
THANKS ALL GEORGE

Old 06-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
More details would help but here goes my thoughts. Our 1989 MH has a Magic Chef oven. The cooktop burners do not have pilot lights or ignition sparkers. I have to light it manually. Yes, I do hear the gas flowing when turning the knobs. Make sure you don't hear it flow when not turned on. The oven has a pilot light. You have to turn the oven knob to pilot to light it. I have to count to 23 after tuning knob before lighting the pilot light. It then takes up to 2 minutes for the oven to light after turning the oven's knob. This is only immediately after lighting pilot. It will light right up if pilot has been lit a while. We leave the pilot lit while in the MH, but turn it off while rolling down the road.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
the old stoves are pilot ignition not electronic. This means you have to light the stove with a match (lighter) by hand. Light the match and slowly turn on burner control knob. Usually there is a pilot light under the cover in the center of the unit, you will see four tubes going to it from the burners( it needs to be lit in order for the burners to light themsselves ,most people turn this function off and just light by hand all the time, because it is safer). It can sometimes take 20 seconds or so before the burner will light because there may be some air in the system.

The pilot on/off will be a small screw (needle valve) sometimes hidden under a small removable cap or under the cover depending on which model you have.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
oh yeah the oven. 3 dog is right about this. The oven sometimes takes a bit of patience. Light the pilot, wait for it to heat up the thermo couple (copper thingy above it) and then turn on the oven, and wait, it will light within a minute.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
The stove top pilot mechanism works fine, and is quite adjustable; I run mine w/ a very small flame (perhaps 1/4" long). The nervous types might want a propane detector w/ something like this in use, but I've not seen any evidence that the pilot tends to go out.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
If the system hasn't been used in a while it is just air in the lines. Hold a match or long lighter next to the burner as you turn it on. You will see the match flame flicker as air purges and then it should try to light and then come full on,

Most of us keep the pilot shut both for safety and and as you get to the end of a bottle the pilot flame will produce odor.

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote