Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Conyers , Georgia
Oven useful or not? '70 Overlander

Ours has the layout where the stove is in the bulkhead, prtruding into the stateroom. I'm not bothered by the protrusion, but thinking it might be a place better fitted with a microwave, and use a stowable toaster oven when necessary.

Any thoughts on this? One of the main things I use an oven for on vacations is baking oysters. I can't really see baking 5 at a time in the little oven. Could be useful for some fish dishes, but having no idea how well it cooks yet, I keep thinking it doesn't seem very useful.

Obviously, I'm off on other topics instead of fixing the floor and getting it home, but have to daydream some.

So, anyone get much use out of one of these ovens?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 06-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Don't know - but some thoughts..... An oven will run on propane and makes toast. It also broils, bakers, warms and can be used to dry boots - ok - scratch that last bit...

A microwave requires loads of electricity. You can not use a microwave unless you have shore power or you have a generator running.

Toast is good with oysters.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The last time we had an oven I found it a great place to store pots and pans. To this day I do not know if that oven worked or not. Right now we have no oven just a microwave. The microwave works great for quick warm ups.
Now I do not wear or even own boots, just sandals. thus never need to dry a pair. Secondly, the oyster crop in Wisconsin has been a little slim lately so we don't do any oyster roasting in Chummy. So your needs may be different but I would say boot the thing out and put in a sensible appliance like a microwave, unless you need room to store pots and pans.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
I think it depends on the kind of cooking you like to do or dishes you enjoy eating. Silvertwinkie's wife Brandi always bakes THE best, almost world famous, mac & cheese casserole for the Midwest Forums Rally potlucks. I hope they don't yank their stove out !!!
I personally have not used our oven because we don't use Cupcake all that often and had hot weather when we did.

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello.. We had thought about taking the oven out of ours BUT guess what .. when we starting travelling with her .. we used the oven a great deal.. especially with no hookups when on route.. ie Flying Jays or rest stops.. and even Walmart... would not be without one now.. microwave, we will leave it at home.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We use ours on every trip. Pizza, fishsticks, fish, muffins or pastries in the morning. Microwave is used to reheat cups of coffee, that's about it.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
I'll make chili in the Dutch oven, but corn bread, fries and cinnamon rolls work best in the gas oven. I wouldn't want to be without it. We usually cook outside, but we have yet to encounter a large amount of rain while camping, and if we did I would use it even more than we do now.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:55 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Dual function

My wife uses the oven to broil steaks and to test the smoke alarm.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Quote:
The last time we had an oven I found it a great place to store pots and pans.
While I agree that pot and pan storgae is nice, especially in my 16' I am more than thrilled with having replaced my "stovetop" with a full oven. After all where would one be without a nice glass of red wine and Bruschetta before dinner.

Quote:
Ours has the layout where the stove is in the bulkhead, prtruding into the stateroom. I'm not bothered by the protrusion
If you don't mind the protrusion then you are already ahead of the game. Keep it!!!
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi All--We have a 1973 27' Overlander, and in the 18 years we have owned it, we have never used the protusion oven. In reading this thread, a use came to mind, which I hadn't thought of before. Use the oven to take the chill off, when boondocking, instead of turning on the furnace which quickly draws down our one battery.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Conyers , Georgia
Thanks for all the different comments; there's been some things I haven't thought of.

Our trailer will lead two lives: The first is as a hotel room replacement for when I am at shooting matches. At some ranges, this approximates boondocking, others have hookups. Either way, this will be it's role as a place to sleep and shower; food is always provided for lunch, sometimes dinner, and in any case I usually eat at a restaurant for the companionship of out of state friends I haven't seen in awhile.

Second role is vacation home for the family. Here we will be staying in known places with full hookups. Not interested in "camping"; I have a backpack and a nice set of Merrill boots if I want to do that. Power won't be a problem. Thus my thoughts on the microwave vs. an oven that seems silly small. Most dishes I can do on a range.

Hmm, I think the safe course for now is keep the oven and see if it gets used (not as a boot drier, I pay too much for Red Wings to forget I left them in the oven). Maybe it has wonderful uses I haven't imagined, but I won't know until I try, so we'll let it live for now, can always give it the old heave-ho later.

Thanks all,

Rob
Old 06-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
My wife uses the oven to broil steaks and to test the smoke alarm.
ROFL Ahhh, so that doesn't only happen to me.

We also have used the oven to raise the temperature as well as boiling water on the stove when we killed the batteries boondocking in our SOB.

I love bruschetta, got a great recipe?

I use the oven to warm ironstone plates in cold weather, keep foods warm, reheat leftovers on a piece of foil, pizza, occassional coffee cake, turkey breast, toast, etc. I used the microwave to reheat leftovers, heat micro prepared meals and make hot water for beverages. I can use a tea kettle--gee the work of boiling water the old fashioned way.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
LOVE the oven in our 68 Overlander. Have baked great desserts for rallies as well as some tasty cinnamon rolls. Ok guys don't reveal my secret recipe. We have found the temp to be true and have not missed the ease of a microwave.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:05 PM   #14
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
My 75 OL didn't come an oven.
I don't miss it.
I do have shore power. And a microwave.
When you are traveling you have a certain number of cubic feet of room and lbs, of weight in your camper and TV that you must utilize wisely. I'd lose the oven - 30 lbs+ 3 cubic feet - and pick up a propane grill - 10 lbs + 2 cubic feet - and keep it in the TV. I'd even add a fitting so I could hook it to the trailer's propane tanks. Then you could burn your toast or thaw your mittens on the Outside of your rig. You could also do the oysters, kebabs, corn on the cob, and maybe with a little practice, the struedal out there.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
The oven is great - no electricity required. Use it to heat up garlic bread, pizza, tater tots, rolls... easy stuff because we are on vacation.

Slightly off topic... We have no interest in leaving our nice suburban home, to travel in our nice Airstream trailer, only to spend our vacation in what amounts to a trailer park (aka RV park). The high density parking and typically unattractive surroundings (effectively parking lots with hookups) are unacceptable. We often stay at beautiful National Forest, State Park, and National Park campgrounds without hookups - thus the oven is nice to have. YMMV!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:00 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Ovens

The only thing I have EVER used the ovens in any of the 3 Airstreams and 1 SOB trailers I have owned is to cook frozen Pizzas. (something I could probably live without)

I see you live in Georgia. Have you ever cranked up the oven on a 90+ degree day? I have found that it just isn't worth it since it will then take the airconditioner several hours to get the trailer comfortable again. Sometimes, I cook outside on a propane Coleman stove. You could buy one of those black sheetmetal "ovens" that are used with these stoves. That way you could bake on hot days or if you are boondocking away from an electrical hookup.

You could get one of those combination convection/microwave ovens and have the best of both worlds in the same space.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:06 AM   #17
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
The oven is great - no electricity required. Use it to heat up garlic bread, pizza, tater tots, rolls... easy stuff because we are on vacation.

Slightly off topic... We have no interest in leaving our nice suburban home, to travel in our nice Airstream trailer, only to spend our vacation in what amounts to a trailer park (aka RV park). The high density parking and typically unattractive surroundings (effectively parking lots with hookups) are unacceptable. We often stay at beautiful National Forest, State Park, and National Park campgrounds without hookups - thus the oven is nice to have. YMMV!
Well said!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #18
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I used my oven once, to cook biscuits. What should have taken 10 minutes took 1 hour. So, now I use it to store the bread in and buy microwaveable biscuits! It keeps the bread from getting squished! I do oysters on the grill! YUM I wanna go camping nooooowwwww!!!!!!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:45 PM   #19
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hey, I use my oven AS an oven. I'm not the world's greatest chef, but it's worked for every recipe I've tried, at least in SOME fashion.

I have an AMAZING ability to turn expensive food into something blackened that fills up white plastic trash bags. (I have better luck with meatloaf.)

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:03 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Conyers , Georgia
Hmm, I think Kathy and I would get along.

The earlier suggestion of a propane grill running off the LP tanks is a good one - hadn't thought of that. I just associate grills and charcoal, which doesn't make for the most travel-happy mess.

I'll have to poke around and see what kind of grills I can find that might be large enough and stowable; tossing in the TV would be fine for traveling, but need to be able to stick it in the AS when parked, so I don't have a grill laying around my machine shop/garage when at home.

Lots of good suggestions, thanks,

Rob