Old 06-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
The oven is great - no electricity required. Use it to heat up garlic bread, pizza, tater tots, rolls... easy stuff because we are on vacation.

Slightly off topic... We have no interest in leaving our nice suburban home, to travel in our nice Airstream trailer, only to spend our vacation in what amounts to a trailer park (aka RV park). The high density parking and typically unattractive surroundings (effectively parking lots with hookups) are unacceptable. We often stay at beautiful National Forest, State Park, and National Park campgrounds without hookups - thus the oven is nice to have. YMMV!

Old 06-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Ovens

The only thing I have EVER used the ovens in any of the 3 Airstreams and 1 SOB trailers I have owned is to cook frozen Pizzas. (something I could probably live without)

I see you live in Georgia. Have you ever cranked up the oven on a 90+ degree day? I have found that it just isn't worth it since it will then take the airconditioner several hours to get the trailer comfortable again. Sometimes, I cook outside on a propane Coleman stove. You could buy one of those black sheetmetal "ovens" that are used with these stoves. That way you could bake on hot days or if you are boondocking away from an electrical hookup.

You could get one of those combination convection/microwave ovens and have the best of both worlds in the same space.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:06 AM   #17
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
The oven is great - no electricity required. Use it to heat up garlic bread, pizza, tater tots, rolls... easy stuff because we are on vacation.

Slightly off topic... We have no interest in leaving our nice suburban home, to travel in our nice Airstream trailer, only to spend our vacation in what amounts to a trailer park (aka RV park). The high density parking and typically unattractive surroundings (effectively parking lots with hookups) are unacceptable. We often stay at beautiful National Forest, State Park, and National Park campgrounds without hookups - thus the oven is nice to have. YMMV!
Well said!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #18
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I used my oven once, to cook biscuits. What should have taken 10 minutes took 1 hour. So, now I use it to store the bread in and buy microwaveable biscuits! It keeps the bread from getting squished! I do oysters on the grill! YUM I wanna go camping nooooowwwww!!!!!!
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #19
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hey, I use my oven AS an oven. I'm not the world's greatest chef, but it's worked for every recipe I've tried, at least in SOME fashion.

I have an AMAZING ability to turn expensive food into something blackened that fills up white plastic trash bags. (I have better luck with meatloaf.)

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:03 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Conyers , Georgia
Hmm, I think Kathy and I would get along.

The earlier suggestion of a propane grill running off the LP tanks is a good one - hadn't thought of that. I just associate grills and charcoal, which doesn't make for the most travel-happy mess.

I'll have to poke around and see what kind of grills I can find that might be large enough and stowable; tossing in the TV would be fine for traveling, but need to be able to stick it in the AS when parked, so I don't have a grill laying around my machine shop/garage when at home.

Lots of good suggestions, thanks,

Rob
Old 06-17-2006, 04:56 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I didn't like the protrusion, so when I replaced the stove/oven in my Caravel I used the Caravel's in the Overlander--the 16" short version just fits in the countertop over the heater. Then I pitched the big oven and removed the protrusion.

I agree you need an oven--for toast and bruscheta, and to quickly heat up the interior on those frosty mornings. Plus, the oven holds the heat for an hour or so until you get going.

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote