Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Jackson , Mississippi
Oven troubleshooting/help

We have a 2002 30' Classic with the standard gas oven. My gas oven at home will turn on, reach the desired temp, then click "off" to periodically turn on to maintain the desired temperature.

However, in our Airstream, the oven turns on, and then the flame stays on until I turn the oven completely off. There is no "off" once a temp is reached, it just stays on. Because of this, we have had burned brownies and unevenly baked lasagna, etc, unless there is constant monitoring (and who wants to constantly check their oven contents while camping?!?).

My parents have an 1989 25' Excella, and their oven behaves similarly. I am wondering if this is how the Airstream ovens work or is there something faulty going on?

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, and help!
nomadleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadleslie View Post
We have a 2002 30' Classic with the standard gas oven. My gas oven at home will turn on, reach the desired temp, then click "off" to periodically turn on to maintain the desired temperature.

However, in our Airstream, the oven turns on, and then the flame stays on until I turn the oven completely off. There is no "off" once a temp is reached, it just stays on. Because of this, we have had burned brownies and unevenly baked lasagna, etc, unless there is constant monitoring (and who wants to constantly check their oven contents while camping?!?).

My parents have an 1989 25' Excella, and their oven behaves similarly. I am wondering if this is how the Airstream ovens work or is there something faulty going on?

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, and help!
Welcome to the forums from another central Mississippian!

30' slide huh? cool camper. There is a thread on this forum where they are tracking all of the slide trailers, you should drop in and introduce yourself.

Oven issues...All of the ovens we have had DO cycle back to a low flame once it's up to temp. The challenge has always been the temp is either too high or too low and never what the dial says. Folks report better results by putting a pizza stone in the oven to help moderate the temp swings.

We cook in the oven all of the time!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I have this pizza stone in my oven. Fits my Atwood range perfectly, though your mileage may vary if you have a different model.

I keep it on TOP of the wire rack. I've been driving around with it sitting there for a month and a half, and it hasn't broken yet. I think lots of folks put it too close to the burners which causes the thermal shock to crack the stone.

When I want to use the oven, I preheat as normal and set the thing I want to bake directly on top the stone. I rotate the pan halfway through baking to help ensure even heating. If I want to heat up bread or something, sometimes I'll just toss it on top of the stone with no pan. Results have been very good.

You may also consider getting a separate probe style thermometer for your oven. I really doubt the dial on the oven is very accurate. I really like the one I use for my grill that has one probe that monitors the ambient temp and another probe that sticks in the food to tell you when it's done. But there are cheaper solutions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170723_185737.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	291285  
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I think there's a temperature probe in your oven, probably toward the back wall, about the middle of the wall somewhere. It may look like just a wire with something on the end of it, maybe just a wire. It will go into the back or side oven wall. If this probe is missing or possibly touching the wall, it's not getting hot, so the oven doesn't know to cycle off the gas and just keeps heating up. Another possibility is that it's covered with burnt food, insulating the probe from the oven temperature

In any event, that temperature probe is most likely your problem. It's connected to the thermostat for the oven temperature. If it's there and not touching a wall, then the oven thermostat itself is bad and needs to be replaced. Try cleaning the goop off of it first; gently. See if that helps.

That's where I'd look
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Jackson , Mississippi
Thanks so much for the advice, fellow Mississippian! My dad helped me figure out the problem, and I think we are good to go!
Old 08-06-2017, 07:31 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Jackson , Mississippi
Thank you so much! It turned out the temp probe WAS the problem, and my Dad helped me gently open up the stove top as well to make sure there wasn't any extra gunk hiding up in there.

Further, I have put both a pizza stone and an oven temp gauge in my car to take out to the Airstream to help with temperature regulation, so thanks everyone for the advice! We're taking care of some routine maintenance issues while we're in between trips, and this turned out to be an easy fix.