Old 03-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Oven overhead vent...

Yes, you all thought we were finished fixing things in this stream but NO! ...The exhaust (sp) vent over the stove has never worked...what are some ways we can check.? Fuses? wires? It has a open/close cover and a metal filter that comes in and out...also there is the push on/off button on the right side underneath...what should I look for?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
Yes, you all thought we were finished fixing things in this stream but NO! ...The exhaust (sp) vent over the stove has never worked...what are some ways we can check.? Fuses? wires? It has a open/close cover and a metal filter that comes in and out...also there is the push on/off button on the right side underneath...what should I look for?
The original cover had a handle on the side. When you moved that handle, to open the vent cover, a microswitch turned the fan motor on.

The fan motor is the same as in the original ceiling fans.

Andy

Old 03-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I will send in a picture tomorrow in the daytime of everything the camera will pick up...thanks Andy.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Andy, would there be a microswitch on a unit with a push button? That seems strange to me.

I would always check for voltage at the fuse before anything else, then go to the switch,then to the fixture itself, depending on what you find at the switch. If there are both a push button, and a handle controlled switch, the push button would have power first. When the button is pushed it would provide power to the handle switch. With both the push button and the handle switches checking out okay, I would go to the fan motor and see if power is reaching it.

It might be a simple problem. My fan wouldn't work until I turned it by hand a few revolutions. Once it started, I let it run for about ten minutes, and it worked out the problem on its own. I think it was just a matter of corrosion on the motor stator that self-cleaned with a little run time. Now if I could just get rid of that squeak!

Good luck, Rich
Old 03-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
My unit has the lever and switch. The lever is attached to a cable that opens a flap door on the side of the trailer that covers the exhaust motor. I believe that this arrangement was first introduced in 1974 when the control panel was moved from the front wall to the over head compartment. The earlier units had a scoop type vent with no moving parts. The push button or switch makes sense to me for these earlier units.

I would meter out the circuit to make sure that 12 volts is getting to the fan motor and go from there.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Kitchen Vent...1970

Well here's three pictures of it for this morning...I can take the filter out too (I think)!...there is one (1) push button on the right. And a vent cover which swings out...there isn't a microswitch but if there is one, this will be a first for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1674.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	77307   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1675.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	77308  

Old 03-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Kitchen vent, 1970/fuse

Then I went outside and openned the compartment and took these shots...that one fuse with (aluminum) on it is an emergency rig we had to do last winter...are there special no#s for fuses (universal)?...we also have the original owners manual onhand if you want to direct us to the correct part of it...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1678.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	77313   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1679.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	77316  

Name:	DSCF1677.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	77317  
Old 03-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
Andy, would there be a microswitch on a unit with a push button? That seems strange to me.

I would always check for voltage at the fuse before anything else, then go to the switch,then to the fixture itself, depending on what you find at the switch. If there are both a push button, and a handle controlled switch, the push button would have power first. When the button is pushed it would provide power to the handle switch. With both the push button and the handle switches checking out okay, I would go to the fan motor and see if power is reaching it.

It might be a simple problem. My fan wouldn't work until I turned it by hand a few revolutions. Once it started, I let it run for about ten minutes, and it worked out the problem on its own. I think it was just a matter of corrosion on the motor stator that self-cleaned with a little run time. Now if I could just get rid of that squeak!

Good luck, Rich
Your switch deal is OK.

The comutator on the motor shaft is rarely a problem, but could be.

Your motor problem is more likely due to dry bearings or brass sleeves at each end of the motor.

Andy
Old 03-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
We'll do our research and will report back this PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
exposed vent area...

Ok, we took out the six screws holding it. Pulled it downward and took this picture after we took a vacuum and sucked out the dirt that has been there for some time...all the wires are connected accept for the one you see me holding...Angel says he took his fingers and rotated the fan itself and it was real tight or a little hard to turn...what can you guys see...and is there access to the fan for oiling (wd40) from the outside.?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1735.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	77584  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Ok, we took out the six screws holding it. Pulled it downward and took this picture after we took a vacuum and sucked out the dirt that has been there for some time...all the wires are connected accept for the one you see me holding...Angel says he took his fingers and rotated the fan itself and it was real tight or a little hard to turn...what can you guys see...and is there access to the fan for oiling (wd40) from the outside.?
WD-40 is not a lubricant.

Oil should be used.

Usually, but not always, a tight or locked motor shaft suggests that the motor armature has become seized due to lack of a lube.

When that happens usually the bearing gets chewed up a little. If oiling the bearings frees up the shaft, your in good shape, however, when the motor gets hot, it may squeal.

If that happens, then the motor bit the dust.

Andy
Old 03-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Ok then, can it be oiled from the outside, do you think? We have the 3-1 oil on hand and what do we oil?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Ok then, can it be oiled from the outside, do you think? We have the 3-1 oil on hand and what do we oil?
Maybe but not likely if you want the fix to last. The oil will not properly lube the bearings.

Disconnect the motor.

Take it apart.

Lube the bearings and clean off any junk that might be on the armature shaft.

Reassemble, reinstall, and good luck.

Andy
Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
If we approach it from the outside we took notice that the rivets will have to be drilled out gently (there's about six-eight of them) then un screw the net cage and then un screw the fan from the outside to get it out...we are figuring that it probably DID go out...there was a disconnected wire if you see that certain picture (white) (wire) ...And if we replace it- the next question is Inland RV going to have a replacement or are there alternative fans? We thought about it all for a bit and came to the conclusion that ripping it out and causeing havoc in the cooking area, we would 'sneak' up on it instead and do the research....