Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Oven Out, Microwave In

The oven in our '66 Trade Wind has never worked for us. We questioned our need for one for camping anyway. We decided that perhaps a microwave would be more usefull. The plan was to discard the old Magic Chef (impossible to find parts anyway) and install a new stove top and a microwave in the space an oven would be. That project got put back to the back burner, pun intended, as the old stove top worked okay. 2 weeks ago a good Forums friend gave us an old but working microwave. I discovered that it would fit inside of our non-working Magic Chef so sparing no cost I gutted the oven, cut a hole in the back of it for an extention cord, screwed a piece of ply to the bottom of the micro (so I could in turn screw that to the oven bottom), then construct a face plate painted hammer tone silver and I was finished.

Now it is a small 800 watt micro so it will determine if Lynn and I really want one. If so later we will get a larger one and a new stove top then I will have materal for a new thread. Now we need to find a new 'bread box'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Microwave 'Oven' 001.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	46396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Microwave 'Oven' 002.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	46397  

Name:	Airstream Microwave 'Oven' 003.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	46398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Microwave 'Oven' 004.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	46399  

Name:	Airstream Microwave 'Oven' 006.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	46400  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Now, this is what the forums are for - sharing really great ideas!

Very creative - the microwave reminds me of one we had made by Sharp called a half-pint. It was a 500 watt .5 cu ft & could run off of a 1000 watt microwave.

Currently, we use our oven for cracker & apple juice storage!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Thumbs up Hi,

Great job. I was thinking to add a microvave to our rig but my problem was where to put it. You solved it and I will talk to the boss (wife) if she realy wants me to do this.
Regards Russell from hot and muggy Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Cool,
I was going to ask if I could have the Oven. I only have a microwave.
Did you put a grommet in the extension cord hole? It will eventually chafe and short.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Cool,
I was going to ask if I could have the Oven. I only have a microwave.
Oh Michelle I was thinking the same thing, if I only had an oven...
Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Nice job Neil!
So what are you gonna hook up to the big red knob in the center? I'm sure you can come up with something creative!
Does your Honda 2000 have enough horsepower to make that microwave glow?

Hey Tin sista- why not get a solar oven- they're lots of fun to mess around with and produce great slow cooked stews and mighty fine breads also, seein as the sun shines everyday in Michigan. even without the cup ehh.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Neil.

That might be why they call them "Microwave Ovens".

Great job, really looks neat.

A Fresh idea for an older Airstream trailer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Thanks for the comments Good Friends. Michelle, I split a water hose and slipped it around the extention cord. The hole that I made in the bottom of the old oven was too large and irregular for a grommet. White light, It IS a 1/2 pint Sharp. I thought it was 7 - 800 watts. Only 500 watts? We tried it and as expected it takes a little bit of time to heat but it works way better than the old Magic Chef! Tim, Red knob......hmmm. Now you got me thinking again. I just completed this project this afternoon and did not try the Honda but I will. It should handle this little oven with no prob.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Neil,

You do finished craftsmanship work....Very Nice A+.

Steve
Old 10-23-2007, 05:16 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Belmont , New York
What a great idea!
atmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Nice job Neil. It looks like it came that way.

We also found that in the 30+ years we've been camping we have never used the oven component in our trailer. If it's not done on the stove top we use the BBQ. I took the other route and removed the stove/oven and put a three burner up top and a micro where the oven was. I couldn't find a micro to fit inside the oven or I'd of done what you did although I doubt my finished project would have looked nearly as factory as yours.

The old stove/oven is currently collecting dust in my shop. It worked fine but the top has some pitting (could be re-chromed or powder coated I would assume). I'd gladly give it to anyone who wants it, but shipping would be horrendous from Langley, BC. The other thought I had was to part it out for anyone on the Forums who needs parts (PM me with needs). If it can be sent parcel post it's yours if it's still here.

Barry
Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #12
_

. , .
fresh idea from freshair...

that looks very slick!

one issue is venting.

don't countertop microwaves need some venting, if placed in an enclosed area?

the front piece you've made could be louvered on the sides...

or perhaps your back/side holes are large enough for air circulation.

now where's the popcorn!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
if you like it

consider a microwave convection oven. That is what we have in the MoHo and it works great. You can bake muffins or biscuits if you want or anything else you could cook in an oven. Sears has scratch and dent outlet centers and you can get a very nice combo for not so much $$$$$--once a week they change the % of discount on a 4 week cycle and they will search inventory over the phone for what you want. Debbie
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:36 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
stove top vs efficiency stove

Since my stove top in my 1974 Soveriengn is so rusted and my ex husband removed the gas regulator, I am wondering if anyone has ever replaced the stove top with and efficiency stove and also if they have replaced thier refridgerator with an efficiency apartment sized fridge. I noticed on the fridge that I do have a plug in for a regular '110'. Has anyone done this and if so, how has it worked out for you guys? My original dometic has cracks in the shelves and since it has been set up for a few years, I am not sure how sufficient my fridge is. Any info would be great. I also have probs with the bathroom and would like to change it into a bedroom and move the bathroom into the center area. I do not know how this would affect the weight distribution. I will be posting pics so please look for them and give me any information on how to remedy my situation.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:37 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet

Thanks so very much for the suggestions!!! Prior to my ex removing the Magic Chef oven, it worked very well, and we also had a microwave oven. At that time, I was travel nursing and lived out of my Airstream and tried to have as many of the conviences of home. I have read that having a washer/dryer added with a 110 was a bad idea as it takes so long to dry your clothes...Any suggestions??? I am trying to prepare in case I go out on the road again travel nursing...BTW, I had the same problem with my AS being over 10 years old....We ended up emailing a pic of our AS and did not have any problems with the KOA's in California accepting our 1974 Sovereign....Can't people just accept that Airstreams have always been and always will be the elite!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeynstein
Thanks so very much for the suggestions!!! Prior to my ex removing the Magic Chef oven, it worked very well, and we also had a microwave oven. At that time, I was travel nursing and lived out of my Airstream and tried to have as many of the conviences of home. I have read that having a washer/dryer added with a 110 was a bad idea as it takes so long to dry your clothes...Any suggestions??? I am trying to prepare in case I go out on the road again travel nursing...BTW, I had the same problem with my AS being over 10 years old....We ended up emailing a pic of our AS and did not have any problems with the KOA's in California accepting our 1974 Sovereign....Can't people just accept that Airstreams have always been and always will be the elite!!!!!!
I know lots of folks in the MoHo community that swear by their Splendide one-box washer/dryer combos. They work fine, as long as you stay within it's limits and don't overload the thing and expect it to work like your home 240volt dryer. I also service these and they either work or they don't....meaning that they require very little service.

If that's what you want....go for it!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Thanks for the info!!!!