Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2002, 05:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question oven out

All summer long I have only used my oven to store pots & pans. Today, on eBay, I saw a camper with the same interior as mine BUT the oven had been taken out & there was a microwave in the "hole".
So I'm thinking...
Have any of you done this? How difficult is it? And- if I change my mind- how hard would it be to put it back the way it was?
I've been putting off getting a microwave because I don't want to give up any precious counter space but don't know where else I could put one safely.
Any ideas folks?
Thanks so much for all your help
74Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 06:51 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Oven

If you remove the oven, then you must cap of the gas line very well and secure it from movement. Any electrical items need to be insulated, if there are any.
I imagine it would be easily possible to run 120V power to the cavity, and install an insert of sorts to accomodate a nice microwave. I would definitely keep the oven in a safe place so it can be re-installed if you change your mind later.
I would do the same in my trailer if the oven was separate from the cooktop. Mine is all one piece.
Remember, though, that you can use the oven on propane when you are boondocking, while the microwave will need city power or a generator.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I have seen several Airstreams with the Ovens removed and replaced with Burner tops and a Microwave installed as you have described. This is how in fact MarilynW has suggested we do to our Globetrotters galley restoration. I have no problem doing this except I will hang on to the Magic Chef oven that still works for whoever buys the trailer from me in the future. I am still not convinced this is the route I will take, but it is under consideration.

Microwaves are so small today they really don't take a lot of room. i jokingly told her I would just install the Microwave inside the oven and we could just open the door to use it. I got the "funny eye" from that suggestion.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 08:08 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
We have recently purchased a small Microwave convection oven that we are going to use in lieu of the gas oven. We purchased a motorhome without any stove or oven.

The main thing to do is to secure it in the opening so if you have to make a sudden stop it doesn't end up on the floor or in the sink! If you disconnect the gas I would highly reccomend capping the gas line. The caps can be purchased at the local home center.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 06:18 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Microwave

We too considered removing our Oven but why deface something so original and intact not to mention very operational.

So,
We bought the smallest Microwave we could find and I mounted it over the stove top. It turned out very well if I say so myself.

There is an Electrical outlet conveniently located to the left of the sink and exactly where I needed it for the microwave.

I can post a photo if you like but my 2 cents is keep the oven and install small microwave above the stove.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 06:39 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Photo of Microwave install

I have attached some photos for thoughts on microwave installation. Also you can see my 15 dollar cutting board.

I priced a cutting board similar to this at the local camping supply store and they priced it at 45 dollars.

The stove cover has been sanded and painted to match the counter tops. A inexpensive alternatice to re-chroming the cover.

Smily
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream interior 007.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	581  
Old 09-25-2002, 08:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Use that oven!!!

Wife loves the oven, and so do I. We like fresh biscuits in the morning, and for dinner. We also like to bake pizza when camping. It also helps warm the inside of the trailer on cold mornings.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 10:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Smily.
The MW installation looks good. However, the roof locker will not properly support that weight, unless you tie into the "main bows." From there on, watch it carefully. Heavy objects attached to the bottom of rooflockers, notoriousdly fail when in transit, causing a number of other problems and damage.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 10:43 AM   #9
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Mount location

Andy,
I concur and that is why The micro is not only mounted to the roof locker but affixed to the wall.

Before mounting I kinda field tested the roof locker and I noticed that it did have some pull on the ceiling skin, this cant be good so I had to consider alternative.

I then checked the "sag" when mounted to roof and wall skin, there was no "sag" at all.

Thanks for the words of wisdom and i hope that I dont have to eat crow.

The unit is very small and lightweight also the section of roof locker is a little "fortified" by the range vent assembly.

V/R Smily
Old 09-27-2002, 08:35 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Enough Juice?

My Magic Chef rangetop is fine, but oven is shot. Approx $215 in parts to repair. I've purchased a combo microwave/convection oven and am wondering if the A/S ('84 Excella) has the juice to run this thing. 18 amps and 1100 watts. I believe I'm on a 20-amp circuit where this would plug in.

We have tripped some breakers in the past using elec skillet and coffeepot at same time, but I think that's on a 10-amp circuit on the other side of the trailer. Haven't had this very long and am still trying to sort out the electricals.

Thanks,
Neal
NSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 04:35 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Question Item to the right of the sink

Smiley, or any who want to answer, what is that object to the right of the sink? I have seen this many other times but haven't been able to figure it out. Wondering if it is useful enough that I should be looking for one to install in my Sovereign. Thanks all.
74SovereignInt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 09:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The cutting board or the oven? Both are useful...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 11:51 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
Microwave Oven

We bought our 1975 Overlander in July; it has been "in rehab" at C&G in Bellflower since then. They are now threatening to finish and we hope to bring it home tomorrow!!

We had the old wall oven and the old cook-top removed because they were dirty, corroded, discolored, stained and just plan gross! We bought a nice microwave oven to install in the old oven hole. We had a brand new Magic Chef range/oven installed where the old cooktop had been.

As part of this remodel we replaced the countertop with "brushed aluminum" Formica. They also trimed out the microwave oven cabinet with the Formica. Finally we had the refrigerator refaced with the same "brushed aluminum" Formica. The result is a virtually brand new kitchen.

C&G did a beautiful job on the rework of the cabinet and the tambour doors. The only casualty was the small bank of drawers which were below the cooktop, and the magazine reack on the end, which were both usurped by the new range/oven. We hope to reinstall the drawers somewhere after we get settled in.

I'll post pictures if I can, after we bring the Airstream home tomorrow.

So it can be done! A whole new kitchen with little removal of the original stuff. I would have liked to have had the original appliances in beautiful working order, but a brand new kitchen is a nice second choice!
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 08:26 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the great ideas. I think I'd better just leave the oven. Just because I haven't used it doesn't mean I won't. The pizza convinced me!! I like the wall mount, Smiley, but where you have yours mounted- there's an exhaust vent so I guess that's not an option. Maybe my best bet is just to get one small enough to stash in the pantry when I'm not using it.
Again, thanks!!
74Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 11:20 AM   #15
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Vent

I also have an exhaust vent and my micro wave clears the vent door.

Smily
Old 10-02-2002, 12:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Airstream at least partially supports the factory overhead microwave from below with an appliance garage. I guess they don't trust tying it into the overhead and wall.

The microwave is also in a cabinet much larger than itself and the metal surround is louvered above and below to allow plenty of cooling.

We wouldn't be without a gas oven, especially when boondocking. Would do without a MW first.

Also, as you can see, they paint the stove cover to match the countertop on at least some models.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
My 82 Airstream motorhome came with a 4 burner gas stove, and a Magic Chef microwave , no gas oven. Sounds like it would have been a nice feature to have, although we carry a toaster oven and it is helpful for smaller items.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 10:05 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California

Here is my kitchen remodel in my 1975 Overlander... There are more photos in my photo albuum.
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:25 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Smily:
Our 85 Sovereign has a vent on top of the range(oven). We like to add a microwave too. Yours look great. How does your microwave leave room for the vent? Somehow I fail to see the needed space for the vent. Could you clarify this?
thanks
Old 12-10-2003, 06:03 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Convection Oven - Power Draw

I bought a Sharp Convection Oven for out '84 Excella, which fit perfectly into the existing microwave space. However, the power draw is just too much. We would have to turn off everything except lights (and that includes the fridge - when the compressor would kick in the circuit would go).

Ended up fixing the oven (see previous post) and putting microwave back in.

Neal in Indiana
NSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote