Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Question Oven or Not, that is the question...

Since the PO had removed the original refrigerator, and in the process multilated the cabinet, we have pulled the entire cabinet out that also housed the oven. Before rebuilding, we want to know.....

Just how many times do you all actually use your ovens?

Do you exclusively microwave? Microwave/convection? Toaster oven?

After seeing Pahaska's article in Airstream Life showing a microwave housed in the old vintage oven, that got me to thinking too. We have the original oven, with an aqua door no less. The old pop up never had an oven, so I'm not sure I would miss it, except maybe on cool days when fresh warm bread would taste good.

I need to design the replacement cabinet so our son can work up the drawings (he's a custom cabinet builder). Just thought I'd ask for opinions before I started.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
In 3 years of ownership, the only thing I have used the oven for was storage. On my 78 Excella the cooktop and oven are one unit, if it was me I would loose the oven. Go with a micro or convection.
Holzarbeiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
We use our oven all the time

Love the fact we have a oven we can use when we dry camp/boon dock. Leon bakes pies in it while I cook casseroles, chicken, roast, what have you. We rarely use our microwave, except to store BBQ Potato Chips in it.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
tough call

The new micro/convection ovens do it all, we even use it to toast bread, it will actually brown the bread just like a toaster. Of course, you will loose the original look, which may be more important to some. I've seen retro style counter micros, buy not flush mount type for cabinets. If you go with a micro, do go with the micro/convection type. There is an advantage to the oven if you are boondocking since it will operate on propane.

Good luck,
John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
We don't intend to put ours back in. It's in a really strange spot in the '73's--it hangs over one of the beds. We've already bought a microwave to use. Most any baking we will do can be done in something else, like a Dutch oven or a the Weber grill.

Ever have ice cream made on your Weber grill?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile What kind of cooking/camping do you prefer?

Hey Beth,
Glad to share experiences. I think it really depends on you, do you like to boondock? Do you cook in or eat out a lot when camping? Do you prefer to cook/bake outside the trailer (keeps it cooler fewer odors)? Be sure to tailor your trailer to your needs/preferences Keep the cook happy!
If you boondock (without generators/electricity, etc.) you can't use your convection microwave. So if you like biscuits or anything cooked/heated in an oven you may have to figure something else out.
We started out with a vintage Airstream with an oven, loved it! Now we have a 96 excella with a convection microwave, its ok. I really prefer the oven but that's because I bake when we camp/boondock. So we ended up buying a little portable propane oven to use. I had great luck making a pizza in it and biscuits.
Next Airstream we buy will have an oven for sure! And a dinette but that's another story...
Best wishes!
Old 07-15-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
To oven or not to oven...

Hello,

I think most of the posts so far have hit the major ideas! It will really depend on what you like to do when camping, and where you camp. If re-sale is an issue then you might take a little different look...

Personally our Bambi doesn't have an oven and I don't mind. In the past when we have had SOB trailers/motorhomes the oven was almost always just used for storage. We looked for a really small microwave that would fit in our current Bambi, but didn't find one quite small enough to fit in the existing cupboard space. Didn't want to alter the original look.

I love cooking in a dutch oven so that does it for us when camping. It is all just personal preference. I think it also depends on the number of people that travel together!

Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67
Just how many times do you all actually use your ovens?

Do you exclusively microwave? Microwave/convection? Toaster oven?
In 20 years of trailer camping, followed by 10 years of Airstreaming, we have never used our oven for anything but a breadbox. We cook most of our meals from scratch, rarely using processed foods, preferring instead lots of fresh vegetables, stir fries, omlets, etc.

When boondocking, the propane stove is more than adequate. With hookups, we also use (1) microwave oven, (2) toaster, and recently (3) a George Foreman Grill, which can be used outside on the picnic table.

So, my wife and I suggest that you lose the oven and use the space for a microwave or a larger fridge.

Hope this helps.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:05 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We boondock and use the oven every trip. We are heading to the White Mountains of Arizona next weekend for four days and have several oven meals planned. We like to broil a steak once and a while and the oven works great for that. It is also a good test of the smoke alarm.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Never have used ours but its great for storage. No microwave for us either. I am truly trapped in the "60's. Hardly use the stove unless its raining. I like to be outside with the grill or Coleman stove.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
When I redid my 68 GT went with a 2 burner stove and a mw. Worked great, in the new Safari the wife dose use the oven to some extent. Depends on room and design.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Only missing part on my '73 is the oven - a PO inserted a extended plywood shelf in the cubby hole (that overhangs twin bed on sink side) and that makes a great spot for a tool box ATM.

Don't forget winter is coming and many use the oven as a radiant heater to knock the chill back w/o formally firing up the furnace... I'd like to find vintage replacement just for that reason.
~
Old 07-15-2006, 09:53 PM   #13
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
I use my oven, an outdoor propane grill, and stovetop almost exclusively. My convection microwave is used for storage, but someday I'll learn to use it. I rarely camp with plug-in 110 volt service, but always have my Honda eu2000 for the stereo and other essentials. This would also power the micowave, but so far I've not found a need for it.
This seems to be a "six of one, half-dozen of the other" situation, determined by one's cooking preferences.
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
If my original Majic Chef microwave ever gives up I'll replace it with a combination microwave/convection oven. If you have to put a microwave in why go half way?
I use my microwave all the time but only extended stays would have me in need of a conventional oven.....
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:36 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We use our oven every trip. Biscuits in the morning, sometimes pizza at night. Really came in handy on the 4th of July weekend, as we were boondocking on the river. Almost never use the microwave, just for re-heating cups of coffee.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Exclamation Thanks.....

All your responses were great!!!

The suggestion by Wabbiteer about using the oven to warm up the trailer without firing up the furnace brought up something hubby and I talked about. Our furnace is missing too. This winter, while working in Moby, we plugged in a little ceramic heater that worked just fine. Of course, if we were boondocking..... Wabbiteer would know about cold mornings, being from the Northwoods. I've come out of a cabin in Perham a many a morning and could see my breath - and it was JUNE!!!

Somewhere I have seen a propane table top oven that is used outside. It can either use canisters or a direct line from the tanks. Just can't remember where I saw it. It would be one more thing to haul around, but it would be an option. Anyone know what I am describing?

Thanks again for all your help.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
hello silver67 ,

We used the oven in the airstream to bake some Nestlie toll house cookies
and french bread to go with the spagetti or pasta we like to make when camping .so It is an asset ,and toll house cookies are not the same ,don't really turn out right in a microwave.Is it a princess oven?

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:32 PM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
We used the oven in the airstream to bake some Nestlie toll house cookies
Scott
I want to camp next to you guys!

Richard

Old 07-16-2006, 08:37 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
We boondock and use the oven every trip. We are heading to the White Mountains of Arizona next weekend for four days.
Where you fishing?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:43 PM   #20
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
Where you fishing?
Big Lake, it's a Flyfishing Club outing.

Richard