Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Riverside , Missouri
Oven - bench test?

Is it possible/reasonable to bench test my Magic Chef oven on my benchtop? It is out of my 66 Safari. I took it out as part of overall restoration. I am currently taking it apart to clean (forty years of grease!) and repaint. I was wanting to test it and repair while it is on the bench if possible. Has anyone tried this? Any special precautions. Can I put the propane take just outside the garage door and run a line to the oven? And also make sure the area is well ventilated?

If this is safe it would make it so much easier to do the repairs in my heated garage. Thanks for your suggestions.
BURNZEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Thumbs up

Looks like you're on the right track. I just used the tank and regulator off the BBQ with an extension hose and adapter to fit the stove. Ran fine.
Did the same thing you are doing. Took off all the burners, cleaned, painted, polished and even replaced some of the hardware with stainless.
When the stove went back in trailer all it took was a slight adjustment to the pilot light.
Good luck, Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
I also made a 3/8" tubing adapter to run stove/oven from a BBQ tank and regulator. It runs the stove top great and made rebuilding in heated garage in –0F weather nice. Cleaned, repainted, new tubing, adjusted, new SS hardware.

However, I can’t get the oven to light with exception of 1” long flame at hood nozzle to burner tube. This indicates some gas is getting through oven safety valve, perhaps not enough pressure or valve not opening fully?

I did occasionally open the garage windows to vent escaping propane and was VERY careful with ignition sources.

Please let us know how it works
Safari64
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Riverside , Missouri
Thanks for your replies. It's nice to know others have done it successfully before. I never thought about using the grill tank. I bought new alum tanks for the Safari, but don't have them filled up.

Thanks again.
BURNZEE is offline   Reply With Quote