Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
order pantry with or w/o micro

Ordering 2014 27 FB...what microwave suggestions can owners offer?

I have read complaints that the one in the pantry is too small and low wattage to heat most things and another post that it is difficult to find a replacement if one breaks. What should I do? I want a real oven, not micro/convection.

Would you suggest getting a plain slide out pantry and installing a microwave in the cabinet over the stove... or putting it a small one our counter... or getting the pantry with the AS factory microwave? What has worked for you?Thanks!!

Nancy
cptfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I looked at the location of the 120v plugs in my unit, one pair on the galley wall. Toasters, blenders, coffee makers, ect. will compete for those two outlets.
The dedicated, switched outlet for the built in microwave was something that was going to get expensive for the DIY add a micro modification. That idea is what convinced me to spring for the micro option. It seems that the 750 watt micro's are mostly the same size, they might not be that hard to find online. Brick & mortar, I found two, not so easy.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
It depends on what you will use it for. It is true that the AS models with the micro, like mine, in the pantry wall are the smallest of units. It is also true of those with the pantry drawer slide model. For warming and light cooking it is ok. If it is the only cooking appliance then no way - IMO.

I am apparently different from many. I have used my oven every campout except one when I was short on time and had oatmeal. I use the oven at home quite a bit too. Microwaves to me are more for warming and cooking certain foods like eggs, bacon, fish. etc. I do understand that the convection adds the ability to bake but I went for the propane baking option by default as it came that way. Just consider your usage habit.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When we ordered the 27FB Classic (later changed to a Classic 30), we omitted the pantry microwave since we did not use the one at home but twice a year.

We wanted that third of the pantry volume the microwave used up for storage. The lower cabinet is not interchangeable between a unit with microwave and a unit without a microwave. Check out the parts book on line at the Airstream web site under support for the trim level you have in mind to see the difference in the construction.

Here is the link to the 2013 Classic Parts book (http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...64f21a0d98.pdf) pages III-91 to III-95 and you will see the difference in the storage area with and without the microwave. That concept applies to the other trim lines (Flying Cloud and International derivatives) as well.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Does anyone know if there is a plug behind the cabinet if a micro was not a factory option? My 2007 Safari 27FB does not have a microwave and wondering if the wiring lives behind the cabinet some where. I would go out and check but I am not picking it up for another ten days. Thanks.
Shaggy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I really doubt it, mine has a switched 120v receptacle that will only provide power when the micro pantry slide is open. To keep one from closing the slide while the micro is powered and in use.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
When one studies the parts book for the 27FB models in detail for the pantry cabinet parts, there are two completely different assemblies - one for a microwave with three parts (top with hinged door - microwave slide drawer - bottom storage with slide door) and one with no microwave with two parts (top with hinge door - bottom all one piece with slide door).

2014 Flying Cloud parts book:

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...1ff0dca86b.pdf

See pages III-115 to III-118

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 04-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Switz> I downloaded the book your talking about for my model 2007 and your right it shows two whole different cabinets, but looking at the electrical section I don't see anything that has microwave specific data. I am hoping that the Airstream folks have thought out ahead and installed the wiring back there on all of them anticipating that future owners might want to upgrade. But looks like I won't know until I get the unit and tear into it to find out.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
My experience is that if the trailer is not built for the microwave option, the power outlet will not be there. They do not install parts "just in case". One is often surprised that required stuff is not installed....

The conversion to switch out that bottom cabinet requires all the low kitchen cabinetry to come out to access the screws on the next piece in because of the way they are screwed together.

The local dealer is now ordering all units with the convection microwave oven option so the power outlet is built into the wall plus more money for their pocket. Their logic (and greed) is that one can always easily get the propane line from below if the customer wants the standard propane oven. The conversion back to the stock configuration is an extra cost for the customer to line the dealer's pockets.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:06 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
They do not install parts "just in case".
Don't know if that's true or not. They do pre-wire for options that might not be installed on every trailer.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Don't know if that's true or not. They do pre-wire for options that might not be installed on every trailer.
This is true, I just read the manual and so far I have found out that the trailer is pre wired for Solar and back up camera. I am keeping my fingers crossed that when I open her up the wires will be there.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Just got off the phone with the factory and they asked for the VIN and looked up the details on my trailer. They said that the microwave was a option on mine and that even though the PO did not choose that option it is still wired for it. I hope the information helps someone like me who is also looking at adding a Microwave in the pantry. Another note, I asked if he had a list of exactly what my model had on it and said he had the original window sticker and said he is going to email it to me. Thought that was pretty cool.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Info may be different by year and model but my pantry micro electric is a simple wall outlet
Old 06-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
So I finally got around to making the Microwave DIY project complete, lots of work but the finished product looks good. If anyone is thinking of doing this upgrade, just ask for details and I help where I can.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
Your project is beautiful! The cabinets and trim are great👍Was all the wiring you needed there when you opened up the wall?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
cptfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
It came out looking good, looked like it came that way from the Factory. I called the company and they told me that every AS has a plug behind the pantry but when I pulled the pantry I didn't see one. I found a plug behind the Oven and bought a power box and wire from Home Depot and ran it and screwed it in behind the pantry. Dropped the top shelf seven inches and reused the trim and beefed up the shelf for the extra weight with L brackets. Took a couple of hours but I didn't want the microwave sitting on the counter top cause there is no space to begin with.