Old 10-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Talking New airstream owner!!!!! any advice?

I just bought my good friends 2005 19ft bambi ccd.... I am so excited!! I do not know much at all about airstreams, and she only used it a couple of times 2 years ago and can't remember much about how it works.. Is the airstream pretty simple to figure out?? Is it easy to tow?? Can I tow it with my toyota 4-runner?? Any advise would be great... I will pick it up Sat or Mon this week!! It it soooo cool..... The front of the micro/convection oven is broke. (The glass) but only 1 side of the glass, she left something in it when driving, it that something easy to fix?? thanks I will be back

staceydr200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi, and welcome to the forums.
Depending on what brand micro-vection you have, it may be easier and cheaper just to replace the whole thing, rather than trying to find a door.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
Thanks for the quick reply..The micro/convection oven is a sharp.. I wonder if I could swap it out for a regular oven? Do you think an oven is a better choice than a micro/convect??? stacey
Old 10-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Originally Posted by staceydr200 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply..The micro/convection oven is a sharp.. I wonder if I could swap it out for a regular oven? Do you think an oven is a better choice than a micro/convect??? stacey
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new toy! You are going to have a blast. We used to have a microwave/convection in our little motor home (pre-Airstream days) but we much prefer the gas oven in our 19' Safari SE... You can use it when dry camping, which is a great advantage if you plan to dry camp any. We take a small microwave with us if we think we are going to "need" it... If your microwave is below your cook top you can probably make an easy switch if you want. Check with a service center.

Check your towing numbers on the 4Runner and also some of the towing threads in the subforums for other folks' thoughts... Your trailer's wieght (like ours) when loaded is about 4500 lbs...You might be on the cusp, but know some folks do it... We tow our 19' with an 07 Tacoma Double Cab (V6) with a factory tow package...towing capacity of 6500 lbs. With anyting larger, we'd probably need a larger truck. At any rate, you should be towing with a weight distributing anti-sway hitch. We have an Equal-I-Zer Hitch and find it completely adequate.

Good luck, travel well, and be safe! See you down the road!
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
Congratulations, you'll have a great time.

The systems are fairly straightforward to figure out, but a careful read of the owners manual would likely prove enlightening. My own certainly was.

I think it true that Airstream is the best towing travel trailer, but you will want to check the numbers to be sure that your 4runner is up to it, and as has been mentioned get a good hitch.
Cameron Bailey
1973 Overlander
Washington Unit, VAC
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Welcome to the Forums and the Airstream family.

The best way to learn to use it is to use it!

Read your manuel while in the trailer and then...Go camping.

The NorCal Airforums group is having a rally. They are a very welcoming group so find the thread on the upcoming rally page and join in.
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57

You are right, Airstreams are really cool. Nothing compares visually and pride of ownership is typically at the upper end on the scale.

After reading your owners manual ask all the questions you have, first by using the search function here where there is a huge wealth of information and then, if still unclear or you cannot find what it is you need, post the question.

Another thought is that a friend of ours was very nervous about putting into practical use what he'd read. He went out to a local campground and asked around till he found a fellow willing to show him the ropes. That got him going enough that he was able to then tow it to a campground where he again found others who were willing to take a few minutes and explain things to him on his trailer.

You might also want to check in with the nearest Airstream dealer to see if they would be willing to spend a bit of time with you. Realizing that they don't make money unless they are selling or repairing they may not be able to help, but if you don't ask you don't know.

The best alternative beyond reading the manual is to make your way to one of the nearby Forum events as noted in prior posts. You will find many able and willing individuals who can teach you the ins and outs.

Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Enjoy your new Bambi! I agree about weighing your options on the oven. If you can't just buy a new door it may be an opportunity to go with whatever fits your style of camping best.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
We went straight from 'SUV camping' to now having an AS. We had no prior RV experience. For the first time ever, it's very comfortable to 'camp' and take road trips with our rolling suite. We almost have things figured out. You will, too. Now the fun begins!
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member
thanks for the replys...I can't wait to go and use the as, my hubby thinks it is not a good idea right now to buy the as, with the economy right now... I am buying the as on Monday, my friend is selling it too me for $20K, is that too good to pass up?? anyway to help convince my hunny not to be mad at me is helpful.. thanks stacey
Old 10-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Congrats, are gonna LOVE IT!!! We live just "down the hill," so stop by if you have any questions that require a look-see.

There is an AirForums group that gets together a couple times per year to go camping. You might want to join in sometime! Our first real trip after buying our 2004 Airstream was with this crazy bunch....we camped at the Laguna Seca racetrack near Monterey. It's an easy-going group, with folks of all ages....and, Airstreams of all lengths and ages! It's a good group to learn from and have fun with...check it out.

2004 30' Airstream Classic
2011 GMC 3500HD Duramax
Hensley Arrow hitch

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
warbler5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
2008 22' Safari
springfield , oregon
Seems to me like a great deal for a barely used 2005 int'l.... do it, do it, do it!
"It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive" - Bruce Springsteen
leopattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Hello and Welcome to the forums. Anything and I mean anything that you need or want to know is available right here. Many happy travels
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member
does anyone know how to make the dinette into a bed?? My friend I am buying the as from has never done that and does not know how> also do I need a generator or will the batt. run everything while camping?? I am such a girlie girl, I have a lot to learn, since this as is my idea I have to master it to get the most out of it..any other info is super also.. thanks stacey