Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Congratulations! I have some thoughts on some of the things you asked about. First, we have a Sharp Microwave/Convection oven in our Bambi. We aren't too thrilled with it because we can only use it when we are in a campground where there is electricity or we have to use our generator which we don't like to do. (We have it for back up). I think I read TBRich mention that they perfered gas oven. I think they are right. So if you have to replace it I would reccommend the gas oven. As for the battery/generator question. In August we were dry camping (no hookups) for 6 days. I have a solar panel I bought from and hooked it up the whole time. I thought about having one mounted on the roof, but we usually look for trees to camp around and with the portable panel, I could move it to get the best shot at the sun. At the end of the 6 days we still had about 1/3 of the charge left. (You can check it with the system monitor on the wall to the left of the range top). My advice is to check that the batteries have enough water in them, the connections are clean and the ground (under the trailer near the battery box) is clean. Then charge the batteries up using the power from your house and when they are charged, disconnect and use the lights etc., for a few days so you can then check the level on the monitor and that will give you a feel what you can do in the way of dry camping.

Have fun.
Randy Bowman

OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:42 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member
1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Congratulations and welcome. Just a couple of thoughts, Stacey. Get the hubby involved in the process by having him find the "perfect tow vehicle" (aka TV). That'll give incentive to get rid of the F250 he didn't like. Then there'll be the coin for something he does like. Secondly, do some online research and see if you can't find a car buff rally or two more than a couple of hours away where there is dry camping or a nice campground nearby. Once he sees that the AS can be a method to greater enjoyment of his hobbies, the faster he will catch on to the true value AS ownership - flexibility.

Finally, enjoy yourselves NOW. I thought the way of life was to work hard, retire and enjoy life. A triple bypass and clipped lung later, I wish I'd started enoying my life much earlier as the remainder looks to be rather shorter than I'd hoped...

AIR 22828
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
So, you bought it? If so, congrats! I am about your age (single though) and bought an AS a couple months ago. I did not get the deal you did! I did not do my research and found that mine has some problems - but it hasn't stopped me. I brought it to my house a few weeks ago and am enjoying the "lawn ornament". I took it out to a park close to my home last week and had a great time. I enjoyed the time out and think it's a great time in life to start streamin.... You gotta just go for it!
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

thanks for the positive feedback from you all!!! I go and pay for my little beautie in less than 2 hours... I could barely sleep last night trying to plan our first trip in my head... well maybe our 1st trip will be the driveway as so many of you suggested.. good idea I think!!!! I may not be able to bring her home until Wed. as I do not have the correct brake set up.. I can borrow her hummer, but we will see, I do not want any problems on her maiden voyage!!! Yippie!!!!!!!!!!!!!
staceydr200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #33
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
I am sooooooo excited for you, Stacey!!!!! You may want to make a trip down the hill to Camping World, in Rocklin (you can see it on the north side of I-80 from the freeway). They will help you get set up with a brake controller....I recommend a Prodigy. If you are considering a new tow vehicle (TV, in AirForums-speak), many of the new full-size trucks include a brake controller with their tow packages.

You should spend some time reading about towing on the AirForums between now and Wednesday.

2004 30' Airstream Classic
2011 GMC 3500HD Duramax
Hensley Arrow hitch

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
warbler5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member
2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia

Did you buy it yet?

He didn't expect; he was not disappointed!
bizcamp is offline   Reply With Quote