Old 10-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The table leg fold and the table top drops dow to the seat level. Move the cushions around and presto! it's a bed.
My batteries last a few days with no problem, I only need the generator for the air conditioning. So it will depend on how you camp.

It's all fun.

Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
New airstream owner!!!!! any advice?

What ever you do, DO NOT buy and Airstream!! If you do it will lead to incurable condition that does nothing but leave you wanting more Airstreams. Please heed this advice before it leads to a major Aluminitis side effect...camping!!

TinShack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #17

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up You've done it now...

Glad to see you jumped in with both feet, you won't regret it.

Welcome aboard. The suggestions about a thorough reading the owners manual are probably the best way to get started. And don't feel self-conscious about "pad camp'n",(getting used to all the features while sitting in your driveway).We did it for 3 nights when we bought our first Stream.

You will get an abundence of good advice here. (I see Inland Andy is lurking on site)

Enjoy your new adventure, and post some pictures of the new Baby.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Stacey take one step at a time. With a 2005 not much should go wrong, its not like it is 40 yrs old and the floor is soft. Just jump in and start investigating all areas. I don't think you will break anything. you may need a gen. in time. If no hook ups are available just learn to conserve or bring another charged battery to give you a couple extra days. Enjoy and go camping!!!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
many thanks again to the great people on this site.. I have barely left it since I found it..the more research the better, I feel good knowing there are nice and cool people out there who are like my neighbors.. I will post pics next week after I get her home and cleaned up..I need to detail to my standards.. she is soooo cute!!!
staceydr200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #20
. , .
so i guess u convinced the hubby?

the sharp micro/convection unit in that trailer has been d/cd....

still sharp LISTS info related to it on their website, by model...

so replacement doors may be available.

under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should it be turned ON till the door is replace.

bad things will happen.

these units are still available on the web and at some walmarts, about 250$ or less.

no ya can't put a gas oven in that location, without a lot of effort.

but there are many micro/convection replacement options.

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #21
1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Stacey, sounds like you got a great buy!!!!!!!!!!!! Just get hubby out for a weekend or two, and try to catch a rally in your area (I see you already have an invitation). Airstreamers are great folks and most are glad to help anyway they can. Safe travels!!!
nohillgrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57

The price for this trailer seems reasonable. I'm a vintage guy so I am not current with prices but you could do a quick comparison with trailers listed in the classifieds on this forum just as a sanity check. The advantage with this trailer is you know its history which is very important in my view.

You have suggested that your husband is not quite as enthusiastic about this purchase as you. For me the criteria was that the opportunity was available now and not six months or two years down the road. I got Donna involved right away and I made sure my enthusiasm never waned. With our first trailer in particular it came down to getting out and using it fairly quickly. We camped on the driveway a couple of nights to figure everything out, then went camping with friends who were avid campers. Finding unique things to do was key to making sure Donna appreciated the advantages of RV'ing and since she likes small town shopping with antique and craft type shops I made sure the first trips out were camping near those towns. She realized right away that this was a fun way to get out and do stuff she liked to do and the camping component was an added bonus that quickly overshadowed the other things. Then we graduated to beautiful campgrounds (CG's in forum terms) in the forests and by the ocean and she really enjoyed the quiet time, the people we met, and the chance for the two of us to spend quality time together without the distractions at home of projects like lawns and fence painting and ringing telephones etc. that, if at home, we'd feel compelled to do. Other friends started joining us and it just added to the enjoyment. It has grown from that. A key factor is that we sleep in our own bed, not one that many others have slept in and with questionable motel cleanliness issues always a factor that we did not like.

We see places most of our non-camping friends didn't know existed but once they see pictures many convert pretty quickly. Some have become almost rabid RV'ers going out far more frequently than we do.

It boils down to this is something you really want to try right? If it doesn't work out you have a trailer to sell that you may break even on or maybe go down a few bucks but the pleasure you derive from it during that time will by far offset that factor. Yes the economy is rugged right now but that doesn't mean you stop doing things that add value to your life. If you can afford to do this and it is not going to leave you in a potentially difficult situation why wouldn't you?

I don't know if any of the above is helpful but it is what I had done to get Donna more engaged in the RV'ing aspect. Now she is as enthusiastic as I am and in fact she is the primary driver of the tow vehicle and very comfortable in that role.

Good luck Stacey. Keep us posted on how you make out with this.

Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #23
1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
There will be 24 Airstreams at Jackson Rancheria next weekend oct 10-11. Why not take a short trip over saturday morning (45 mi?) and visit with the NorCal group. We have open visiting saturdays and it would be an opportunity to see a few trailers "just" like yours. You could find most of the answers to your questions. Bring something for the pot luck sat evening. LOL

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #24
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Stacey, welcome to the group and congrats on winning the "argument" about bringing Bambi home. You'll have a blast learning it and camping, I'm sure.

The usual travel advisory applies, of course: Pack half the clothes but twice the money!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member
2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Stacey,, welcome and just go for it with your new Bambi,,, hubby will understand his first trip out,,, lots of friends here and advice to be heeded,,, jump in and tour America,, that is what streamin is all about,, happy trails,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona

If you can afford it, seize this opportunity for a great price! Since you're not overpaying for this barely used unit, you'll be able to sell if need be for minimal loss. As for the economy, for years I tended to be holding back while others were spending, and now I can spend while others are not. I feel like I got a nice deal on a near-new tow vehicle and AS due to this economy. Try to find a benefit from this economy.

AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member
my hubby feels that if we buckle down during hard times we will have more later, I am 40 and he is 46, he is an avid car collector and we are building a second home... it seems everything we spend $ on revolves around those things and not too much fun for us as a family or couple, I feel this is a good way too get away from it all and enjoy each other more... are we too young to invest in an as right now?? Are there people our age cruzin around also???? We would only be able to escape once in a while for long trips and maybe 1 time a month for a while....I also bought a truck for a surprise for my hubby and he hated it so I am trying to sell it and if it sells than he would be much happier and not so concered about the as price.... so if anyone out there wants a ford f-250 diesal that is a 2000 and a lariet model let me know, but it is lifted 8" and has 37" tires and tinted windows, so its a biggie, but it runs great!!!!!!!!!!
staceydr200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Welcome Stacy
I hope U talked the hubby into the purchase. No I dont think you guys are to young. DON'T wait till your 70 like me and then buy an AS. Life is a serious business YES. BUT take time for U TWO.
If he is inclined to like people and LOVES TO EAT . Then AIR FOURMS Rally's will get him hooked.
This is our first yr and My wife was not real keen on the deal, but since we have met some wonderful people and had some great food and conversations around a campfire in our first 6 outings she LOVES IT.
She is so proud of our vintage AS she had to show it to everyone and shes not a showoff.
She just loves camping.
Best of luck to You and Yours REMEMBER Just have fun!

Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote