Old 11-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Socorro , New Mexico
Need furnace help- brrrrrr

I hope someone has a simple solution to my problem. We have a 74 Land Yacht with a Surburban furnace and we can't keep the pilot lit. We go through the sequence of turning off the gas and then on again and pushing the button. The pilot lites and then the flame fades away. We removed the furnace and put a new thermocouple in but it still fades away. Is there a technical manual somewhere where one can trouble shoot this or does someone know why it is doing this? We are freezing in MN and are heading south as soon as we can. Also the people at the Camping World in Minneapolis were very helpful with putting in a new fridge. Any help with this furnace would be greatly appreciated, freezin in MN Dancepancha

Old 11-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
How about a couple of small cube type ceramic heaters? We use one and It keeps our trailer toasty! ( but... you have to be plugged into shore power)

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:42 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Socorro , New Mexico
Smile

Thanks for the suggestion but we are on the road for a year and like to boondock so we would rather use the system that is there but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
Site Team

, Minnesota
I would use a hair dryer to heat the valve up to room temperature and try it again. Sounds like the valve is sticky. Or maybe clogged with condensate or oil.

Also possible that the new thermocouple is defective.

I believe there is a Suburban service rep in Hopkins, MN, just west of Minneapolis. I don't have his phone # but could find it if you are near there.

Here's a service manual: http://www.bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/suburbantech.pdf
Old 11-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Socorro , New Mexico
Thanks Mark for the manual. Do you know where I can find a model # on the furnace? I have looked but it is not obvious, I thought there might be a trick. dancepancha
Old 11-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
Site Team

, Minnesota
Sorry, I have a different model, I don't know where it is on yours.

A few other things: Are you running low on propane? Might be a propane regulaor problem with this cold weather.

Here is a link to Suburban Q&A: http://www.rvcomfort.com/suburban/se...-Question-2821

And a list of their service reps: http://www.rvcomfort.com/suburban/se...es_repairs.php
Old 11-06-2006, 03:48 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancepancha
I hope someone has a simple solution to my problem. We have a 74 Land Yacht with a Surburban furnace and we can't keep the pilot lit. We go through the sequence of turning off the gas and then on again and pushing the button. The pilot lites and then the flame fades away. We removed the furnace and put a new thermocouple in but it still fades away. Is there a technical manual somewhere where one can trouble shoot this or does someone know why it is doing this? We are freezing in MN and are heading south as soon as we can. Also the people at the Camping World in Minneapolis were very helpful with putting in a new fridge. Any help with this furnace would be greatly appreciated, freezin in MN Dancepancha
sounds like the safety valve is bad
Old 04-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #8

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Spastic Furnace

Hopefully my post will float this thread to the top, thus getting the attention of the Furnace Gods and enlightning me on my problem.

My furnace has an issue on shut down. The fan cycles on and off in a dimenishing pattern when the heating cycle is complete. The way I understand the internal heater logic, the fan runs for 1) a timed cycle AND 2) until the combustion chamber is cool.
Just guessing, mine is only doing #2 (oops hidden meaning). The gas shuts off, the fan cools down the thermal sensor and stops. Then the thermal sensor gets some BTU's transfered to it from the still warm combustion chamber and the cycles starts again.
It seems top work fine if the unit heats for an extended priod. If I flip the switch, wait for the vents to blow heat then flip it off, it will do this every time.
Any Ideas?
-If your gonna start your reply with "I'm not sure, but you could just replace the circuit board", I already got that one, thanks anyway.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
Hopefully my post will float this thread to the top, thus getting the attention of the Furnace Gods and enlightning me on my problem.

My furnace has an issue on shut down. The fan cycles on and off in a dimenishing pattern when the heating cycle is complete. The way I understand the internal heater logic, the fan runs for 1) a timed cycle AND 2) until the combustion chamber is cool.
Just guessing, mine is only doing #2 (oops hidden meaning). The gas shuts off, the fan cools down the thermal sensor and stops. Then the thermal sensor gets some BTU's transfered to it from the still warm combustion chamber and the cycles starts again.
It seems top work fine if the unit heats for an extended priod. If I flip the switch, wait for the vents to blow heat then flip it off, it will do this every time.
Any Ideas?
-If your gonna start your reply with "I'm not sure, but you could just replace the circuit board", I already got that one, thanks anyway.
The thermal fan switch is bad.

Andy