Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Need advice for buying a new three burner stove

I decided to put in a new counter top with a new 3 burner gas stove for my 1973 Overlander. The old was OK but I decided to upgrade the counter top and thought I might as well go with a new cook top. I want a three burner with a cover for the burners. I know I can go with Atwood or Suburban plus a couple of other brands. Anybody have any recommendations? I will start shopping online tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Actually I am quite happy with the stove that came in my 2014 FC 20'. I am not at home now so I can't tell you the brand, but it is Atwood I think. I believe it is the same one used in most of the range with oven stoves in Airstreams today.

I like the spark lighting system, it is easy to clean and has an extra powerful burner on the front. The oven works well and does not burn things like many older RV ovens. The only negative is that it is slightly small for having a big pasta pot and a reasonable sized frying pan on top at the same time, but many RV stoves have that issue.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
When I bought my 73 Overlander about 8 years ago my wife and I discovered the original oven was never used. It works great and it is separate from where the stove will go. I will check out the Attwood.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Why three?

Just my 2 cents but perhaps you might want to consider getting a 2 burner model. I have the Eddie Bauer and there is about 1.3 square feet of counter space. I just asked myself this - Have I EVER used all three burners at the same time? The answer is a NO, and I fulltime and I cook frequently. If you want to carry a toaster or Kurig coffee maker, etc. the smaller hob would give you the space in either direction.

I think the SMEV has a two burner unit with a stainless steel base and a tempered glass top that would look very state-of-the-art. If you're replacing the top anyway, think of all of the options. I think the 16's use a 2 burner unit don't they?

Paula
Old 12-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
I always thought a drop in cooktop would be a good mod to an Airstream kitchen - Eno makes one.

Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Nice Wayward! And even though I don't have kids - Having the controls away from the front makes it harder for a tiny tot to turn the gas on by mistake.

What I like about the SMEV is that the burners are recessed below the counter - so that a spillover would be somewhat self contained instead of running over the counter or down the front of the oven.

When I was looking at these images, I noticed the odd looking sink/hob combination that had something EVERY RV sink should have - a drain that is OFFSET toward the back of the sink instead of in the center. Talk about creating more useable storage space in the cabinet under the sink. That should be a BFO for any designer of any RV.

https://www.google.com/search?q=smev...2&ved=0CCoQsAQ
Old 12-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Thanks folks....I like all your suggestions and I will order this weekend.

Brian
Old 12-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I noticed the odd looking sink/hob combination that had something EVERY RV sink should have - a drain that is OFFSET toward the back of the sink instead of in the center. Talk about creating more useable storage space in the cabinet under the sink. That should be a BFO for any designer of any RV.

https://www.google.com/search?q=smev...2&ved=0CCoQsAQ
I agree on that.

Interesting search. The stove sink combo is unique and compact. As you say, the drain is against the bulkhead. The stove cover also blanks off the controls.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote