Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2004, 08:38 AM   #1

, Ontario
Microwave selection "89" Excella 25'

Hi all. Picked up our "89" Excella 25' rear twin last Wed. The unit had a microwave oven in the cabinet over the refrigerator which was removed by the previous owner before trade-in.
I've searched for one but I'm having no success finding one that will fit and allow us to close the 2 doors. Any suggestions for a make and model would be welcomed. The opening is 21 3/4" wd X 11 1/2" H X 13" dp.
Thanks in advance for any help. Great forum
Ray
Airrayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Remove the doors and gain some extra depth. You will, of course, need to fasten the oven down some way.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:35 AM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airrayd
Hi all. Picked up our "89" Excella 25' rear twin last Wed. The unit had a microwave oven in the cabinet over the refrigerator which was removed by the previous owner before trade-in.
I've searched for one but I'm having no success finding one that will fit and allow us to close the 2 doors. Any suggestions for a make and model would be welcomed. The opening is 21 3/4" wd X 11 1/2" H X 13" dp.
Thanks in advance for any help. Great forum
Ray
We had the same problem with our '88 Excella 25' rear twin when we purchased it in April. We bought a microwave from Walmart that would fit into the cabinet, but then there was a problem with the standard cabinet latch not closing because it would hit the microwave. We replaced it with a magnetic latch (flat) from Home Depot and it works perfectly. Hope this helps. Shirley
mi48703.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:43 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
magic chef seems to be the standard in microwaves for late model excellas.

finding one may be a problem, you may want to talk to a airstream dealer. if that doesn't fit your tastes, try a sharp. i have two, one in the house and the other rides around in the bin on my bucket truck at work. they seem to hold up well to travelling in a vehicle and getting bounced around.

john
Old 12-27-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
How much value does door add??

Our Excella 25 had a Sharp installed with NO door, just an Oak lip at bottom and Oak Rail trim across top.. PO had used 4 pastic hold-downs to keep it in place (two on each side..) and it was snug fit....

We concluded space more valuable as pantry and pot/pan storage, so we acquired simple little microwave that rides on floor in transit, and sits on shelf beside refrigerator when parked... We added an Oak cabinet door from Home Depot for about $30 including hardware (well, maybe Oak-like substance...) and added the plastic ball and socket latches on sides to hold closed...

John McG

>> And in case your manual is missing or unread, this is reminder that interesting wall switch over stove inside flip up cabinet actually controls power to receptacle behind microwave... It switches from power to A/C or power to Microwave, since 110v circuit can't handle both at same time...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote