Old 10-19-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
Microwave relocation?

Can I put a microwave on top of thr fridge? I was thinking about cutting a hole in the cabinets over the fridge and sliding a microwave in there. It would have to sit on top of fridge. Would this hurt anything????
Or if anybody has any better ideas of where to put the microwave so it's out of the way, I would love to hear them and/or see pics.
Moving it everytime we want to use stovetop gets old.

Thanks, Scotty

• 1959 Ford 661 tractor (full restoration)
ssww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Tecumseh , Ontario
SSWW :

I asked the same question here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ion-45718.html

Apparently a small box to house a microwave can be installed above the range in a Classic 30 & 31, however, Airstream does not do this at the factory due to concern for regulations that govern heights of cabinets above a cook top.

I've been hoping someone would post a picture of such an installation, but so far no one has.

P.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Can I put a microwave on top of thr fridge? I was thinking about cutting a hole in the cabinets over the fridge and sliding a microwave in there. It would have to sit on top of fridge. Would this hurt anything????
Or if anybody has any better ideas of where to put the microwave so it's out of the way, I would love to hear them and/or see pics.
Moving it everytime we want to use stovetop gets old.

Thanks, Scotty
Scotty,

A prior owner of our Safari installed a small microwave above the refigerator. It is behind a door. You can see a picture of the refigerator and the door here: 79Safari

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Can I put a microwave on top of thr fridge? I was thinking about cutting a hole in the cabinets over the fridge and sliding a microwave in there. It would have to sit on top of fridge. Would this hurt anything???? ....

I'm pretty sure nothing but a really tiny microwave would fit....the exhaust vent curves around on top of the dometic fridge, and there is only a minimal amount of space left. This applies only if your unit still has an absorption refrigerator, if your unit has been converted to a compressor unit, you probably get by with a useable sized microwave unit. If you have an absorption fridge (ammonia cycle), do not cut into the factory installed vent.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
'filled' a need

Our oven did not work... no parts were available...we didn't need an oven anyway...sooooo......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Microwave 'Oven' 006.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	69859  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
I'm pretty sure nothing but a really tiny microwave would fit....the exhaust vent curves around on top of the dometic fridge, and there is only a minimal amount of space left. This applies only if your unit still has an absorption refrigerator, if your unit has been converted to a compressor unit, you probably get by with a useable sized microwave unit. If you have an absorption fridge (ammonia cycle), do not cut into the factory installed vent.

Yeah, I still have the original fridge and it would have to be a small microwave.
I think I am going to figure out how to put it in the top of the closet beside the fridge.

• 1959 Ford 661 tractor (full restoration)
ssww is offline   Reply With Quote