Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
microwave fix?

We have a Sharp microwave convection that has quit spinning the pan inside around...it will rotate for about 20 seconds but then quits ...is there a fix for this?.......thanks
Bing-Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Assuming you have checked to make sure the turntable and ring under the turntable are in correctly, and that you are observing just the turntable stopping and not the cooking itself, it could be a bad turntable motor. Which can be replaced from the bottom, without removing the outer cabinet. CAUTION: IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DISCHARGE THE HIGH VOLTAGE CAPACITOR, DO NOT TAKE THE OUTER CABINET OFF.
An appliance technician would put a volt meter in parallel with the TT motor so when it stopped if 120 was present it is a bad motor. If 120 was not present when the motor stopped, something in the current path to the motor is opening. However most M/W's if something in the path opens, more than just the TT motor will stop working.

It will not harm the M/W to cook with a stopped turntable. You will just have to rotate the food halfway through the cooking time for more even cooking.

Let me know if you need more info.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
Great answer tiger...I think we will just learn to live with it...after all our first microwave back in the early 80's didn't spin we just turned the food...We've gotten lazy in our old age.....
Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
does your Sharp have a a set of wheels that are mounted on a triangle of plastic and can be removed as a unit? If so, someone who cleaned it might have put them in upside down - where the arms will drag. Also the spindle might have a flat side that needs to be matched up to the wheel unit to turn it smoothly.

Take the glass dish and wheel unit off - and turn the microwave on for about 15-20 seconds. See if the spindle turns freely - if not the problem is in the motor. If it does turn, play with the wheels. If you can get them turning smoothly, your problem should be over.

Paula
Old 05-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
I assumed you did check the turntable and ring! However Paula's explanation is a good one. But make sure if you run it as paula suggests, put a glass of water in it. Running it empty will over heat the magnetron tube.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I assumed you did check the turntable and ring! However Paula's explanation is a good one. But make sure if you run it as paula suggests, put a glass of water in it. Running it empty will over heat the magnetron tube.
Be careful, though. If you're checking the spindle by running the unit with the glass tray out, you do NOT want to set a glass of water directly on the bottom of the microwave. A coworker did exactly that, which is how I know. If the water gets too hot, the plastic bottom of the oven compartment will melt. You should never heat items in the microwave without the glass tray in, for that very reason.

Simple solution for the purpose of this test, when you run your check, set the control to 10% power. The power setting doesn't affect the spindle; it turns at the same speed regardless. And your glass of water won't get as hot in the short time you're running the unit.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
Wow what great replies...unfortunately it died today as I have no power to it at all...checked breakers and still no power...looks like I'll be going to Home Depot...thanks for all the help guys........
Old 05-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
65 cents worth of fuses! You'll have a wiring diagram somewhere and that's the most common thing to blow. Lots better than feeding the landfills.

Paula