Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Merritt , British Columbia
Microwave/Convection Oven - Vent needed?

We want to put in a microwave/convection oven in the space where the old oven was. Do we need to be concerned about venting the unit because of the heat the convection part will generate?
ayresdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayresdream
We want to put in a microwave/convection oven in the space where the old oven was. Do we need to be concerned about venting the unit because of the heat the convection part will generate?
Most Micro/convections that I've installed require a vent to the exterior wall. IIRC, the only one that doesn't is the VERY expensive Dometic, but that is a micro only. The heat from the convection needs some place to go. You can probably vent it inside the trailer, but it might get a little warm in there when you use it!
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Ft. Myers , Florida
lewster, We have the micro,convection setup in our 04 classic. The oven vents into the cabinet. When we baked some potatoes last summer we got a bunch of white smoke out of the cabinet. I was wondering if the heat was to much for that carpet wall covering they have inside the cabinet.
S/OS #045 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax w/ Hensley Hitch, 15" GY Endurances and Tire Minders

--Mark and June-- "Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I go lay down until it passes." Mark Twain
Wharf Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Good question -- think I'll go out to my '06's OEM micro/convection installation and take a look tomorrow... My impression is that it is not ducted but counts on being under the stove/under the hood.

It's supposed to get all the way up to 9 degrees, so I can do it. (that's blue, not purple)

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Ft. Myers , Florida
Bob, Our setup is in a cabinet across from the stove. When the space started smoking I shut everything down and pulled the unit out to check for any hot spots or damage, there was none. When I got home I pulled the unit out and checked it out completely with no problems. It does seem kind of odd that AS would put a fabric in a space that gets hot.
S/OS #045 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax w/ Hensley Hitch, 15" GY Endurances and Tire Minders

--Mark and June-- "Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I go lay down until it passes." Mark Twain
Wharf Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt mark
lewster, We have the micro,convection setup in our 04 classic. The oven vents into the cabinet. When we baked some potatoes last summer we got a bunch of white smoke out of the cabinet. I was wondering if the heat was to much for that carpet wall covering they have inside the cabinet.
CM,

Not the first time I have heard of that....I really don't know what they were thinking!!!! You might want to get the carpet and any other heat sensitive materials out of the heat path and replace it with a more heat resistant material. The other option is to cut in a vent (with a blower fan) into the side wall of the coach. I'm sure you could get one from Jackson Center that would match the existing one for the stove vent. It should be a fairly straight-forward install.
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:35 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayresdream
hi ayresdream...

it depends on which model is chosen...

the sharp microwave/convection commonly used in newer a/s (2002-2007) doesn't need venting...

it can be used on a counter top or wall/space mounted wtih a kit that provides an air gap on 5 sides....

this is sharp model r-820bk...

it does need 2 inches of clearance on all sides to allow hot air to circulate.

and it should NOT be mounted near another heat source that will damage it...

that is why most of them aren't mounted over the range top...

under the range top should be fine.

i'm not sure what other mic/conv combo oven models a/s has used...

the sharp is 900 watts and works well in both modes...

wally world used to stock it for 280$ or so...but models do change.

there are many makes/models like the sharp that don't require venting...

usually it is the commercial ones (>1800 watts) that need special venting...

for those of you that have the sharp model, here is a link to the owners manual online...

http://www.sharpusa.com/files/mic_man_R820B.pdf

installation is on page 3 if you're interested...

as for the white smoke...
that could be from the wall fuzz but i'd expect it 2 be associated with the smell...

of plastic burning....

microwaving with paper plates is ok but using them in convection mode will burn paper...

so too, the combo settings that include a 'browning' stage using the convection mode...

i forgot about this once...

and had white smoke too!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:23 AM   #8
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
That's interesting. I just put a Sharp R820bk in the Ambassador. I chose it because it was the smallest convection I could find with the built-in kit. I did not know they were used in current airstream production.

Anyone who has one, I be interested to see how it was mounted in the cabinet. I ended up adding an L bracket on the back and a bracket under the front as well.

The built in kit has two holes in the front that I also used to mount but they do not seem very substantial.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sharp.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	31418  
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:01 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I don't believe Airstream vents the convection ovens outside FWIW. I've looked at several units over the years and have yet to see an oven vent on the outside......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:15 AM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
My sharp convection/micro has a venting "collar" vent at the bottom and top of the surround. It vents back into the cabin.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
That's interesting. I just put a Sharp R820bk in the Ambassador. I chose it because it was the smallest convection I could find with the built-in kit. I did not know they were used in current airstream production. Anyone who has one, I be interested to see how it was mounted in the cabinet. I ended up adding an L bracket on the back and a bracket under the front as well. The built in kit has two holes in the front that I also used to mount but they do not seem very substantial.
hi tim...

here is a link to some galley shots. the mic/conv is mounted above the 'applicance garage'...

no fooling that's what they call that space...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...4&d=1139375478

in this thread...http://www.airforums.com/forums/207075-post2.html

anyway the face plate has been off mine and the oven removed for unrelated repairs...twice.

a/s uses the sharp kit and no extra strapping that i could see...

basically it plugs into a ac outlet and sits on a shelf, with no extra tiedowns...

the faceplate has held it well for 2 years...

also it's obvious how big the enclosure is made...

adding 2-3 inches on all sides for air circulation makes the oven look much bigger than true size...

still it works well (bakes a wicked pizza & grills chicken/chops or steak nicely)...

to keep the rotating bits from moving,

i store paper towels/plates inside or dry goods like bread or chips while on the road...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Wow, that's amazing they do not strap it down anymore than the vent kit. The kit is only meant to set it on a shelf enclosure in a house that does not roll down the road .

In the first shot you can see an inverted V brace I made and added. Its behind the lower grill in the center. I put a second L bracket in the rear as well before secureing the cook top.

The second picture shows the vent kit added to microwave so everyone can get an idea what we're talking about.

I'm glad to hear it works well. I have not even powered it up yet. The circuit is not wired in the breaker box yet .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sharp_bracket.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	31463   Click image for larger version

Name:	sharp_vent.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	31464  

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures