Old 04-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Sarasota , Florida
Micro/Convection Oven for 95 34' classic?

Has anyone replaced the original appliance with a new Micro/Convection? Would like to know what will fit in the space. Mine is street side adjacent to the shower above an appliance garage. It does't seem as though the Sharp Grill 2 will fit in the cavity.

DavidSowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
A friend has a Sharp Grill 2 that is built-in to her 34' Airstream. I liked it so much that I got one for my 1983 Excella. The original microwave with all the built-in stuff was gone from mine, so I just have mine sitting in the cabinet for the microwave. It fits with lots of room to spare.

I keep meaning to go ahead and build it in, but other things keep getting higher on the priority list.

I like the Grill 2. You will want to read the instruction book, though. These are advanced (read that complex, too) microwaves, and you need the manual. Read it.

You may want to also note on page 5 in the section: ABOUT UTENSILS AND COVERINGS. In the "Glass, Heat Resistant" row, in the Microwave column, it says "Yes. Excellent. Overturned pie plate necessary for popping popcorn." (Emphasis mine) Use one and microwave popcorn pops great. This is the only place in the manual that mentions this. It is nowhere in the "Popcorn" section.

I've seen posts on the forum complaining that you can't pop microwave popcorn in the Sharp Grill 2. Not true, you just have to follow the (hidden) instructions. Mine is actually does the best job of correctly popping a bag of microwave popcorn using the presets of any microwave I have used. I just have to put it on the overturned pie plate to do it.

I attached a pdf version of the manual if you're interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sharp_R820B_Microwave_Manual.pdf (909.0 KB, 16 views)
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote