Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Walla Walla , Washington
Magic Chef Thermostat

The oven thermostat on my Magic Chef Oven in my '71 Safari (23ft) is bad, and my local RV dealer is telling me that parts are not available for this, and I need a whole new oven.

Anyone have any experience with this? I am sure they no longer make this part, but isn't there some universal thermostat that might work?

Thanks!
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I may have a replacement thermostat

I have the magic chef stove/oven that was original in my 1976 Sovereign. I replaced it with a gas cook top only. The oven still worked when I took it out. I may be able to remove the oven thermostat from mine and sent it to you as a replacement, at no cost. What does the thermostat consist of so that I can make sure to remove what you need. It may be a couple of weeks before I can get to this since the old oven is at my storage facility and I will not be going there for a least 2 weeks.

PM me if you want me to send this to you.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
The thermostat on the original Magic Chef went bad in our '65 Caravel about seven years ago. I researched and found a company that would rebuild the thermostat for $195, no guarantee. I replace the whole stove with a new Magic Chef for $300. It fit the same space and the screw holes matched up.

I have never been sorry.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I had the same problem and found one for (I think) it was $156 with no guarantee and no refund.

I pulled the oven and replaced with a microwave and toaster oven.

Not sure if a 76 is the same but sounds like a darn good offer if it doesn't work for you maybe you could pass it along at some later date.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:45 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Walla Walla , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I have the magic chef stove/oven that was original in my 1976 Sovereign. I replaced it with a gas cook top only. The oven still worked when I took it out. I may be able to remove the oven thermostat from mine and sent it to you as a replacement, at no cost. What does the thermostat consist of so that I can make sure to remove what you need. It may be a couple of weeks before I can get to this since the old oven is at my storage facility and I will not be going there for a least 2 weeks.

PM me if you want me to send this to you.

Don
Don,

Thanks so much for this offer! I would definitely like to take you up on this. The thermostat is the part that sits directly behind the oven temperature dial (you have to lift the stove cover to get to it). I can send you pictures of it if that would help!!

This is really nice of you. I like to bake, so having the oven back will be fabulous!!

Phil
Old 03-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
removed the thermostat and other parts

I was at the storage toady and was able to remove the oven thermostat. While I was at it I also removes some other parts that you may need. Look these over and let me know. I will then send you whatever else you might want at the same time along with the thermostat.

all 4 range burner grates
all 4 range burner tubes that connect to the burners
all 4 range burners
all 4 range range burner knobs
1 oven rack

I also have the oven door that is in great condition. I have not removed it but could if needed. Whatever you do not need I will see if anyone else wants whats left.

Don
Old 03-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Walla Walla , Washington
Thanks, Don, sounds great

Super! I think the only thing I really need is the thermostat, as everything else on the stove works great! (The stainless steel cooktop that the burner grates sit on in rusted and pitted, so if yours is smooth and shiny, I'd be excited to have that too).

Either way, I will be happy to pay for shipping, and I will be most grateful.

I am new to the forum, so I'm not sure how to proceed. How should I best get you my shipping information, and reimbursement to you?

I am actually boondocking it right now near Moab, UT, and soon to Bluff, UT. So I am only able to check internet every couple days, so please bear with me!!

Thanks

Phil
Old 03-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post

I am new to the forum, so I'm not sure how to proceed. How should I best get you my shipping information, and reimbursement to you?

Phil
Phil I have the thermostat ready to ship to you. Click on my user name "adonh" in the upper right hand corner of this post and a drop down menu will open. Then click on the 2nd option, send private message. A new page will open that you can send me your mailing address in a private message. When I receive this I will ship the part directly to you. I will send you the amount of the shipping cost when the package is shipped.

Also, just for information. This stove has been sitting in my storage for about 9 years and I know for sure that the trailer was not used for at least 1o years before I got it. I tried to turn the knob on the thermostat and it would not move, I guess since it has not been used for such a long time it may be stuck. I did not try and force it hoping that you can make this work. Maybe others can post suggestions for this.

Also the stainless range cover is rusted and pitted .

Don
Old 03-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hey Don,

What are the oven rack's dimensions? I would like to have a second rack sometimes, but the one from my Trade Wind is a different size.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Libertyville , Illinois
1971 Safari Magic Chef Oven- no model #???

We have searched every inch of our oven- no model number!?! Airstream has no record of what type of oven was put in the Safari in 1971. Dealer tech couldn't find the model number.... Would really like to find one aproximately 3" silver burner/diffuser ring that is removable on this model. Will try to post a picture...
edirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by edirwin View Post
We have searched every inch of our oven- no model number!?! Airstream has no record of what type of oven was put in the Safari in 1971. Dealer tech couldn't find the model number.... Would really like to find one aproximately 3" silver burner/diffuser ring that is removable on this model. Will try to post a picture...
I have an original parts book for 1976.

It lists several stove/ovens.

Post a photo and I will ID it for you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
I probably have what you are looking for. Post the pic when you can & I'll let you know.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Libertyville , Illinois
Pictures of the Magic Chef Burner/Diffuser Head

One picture is a view from above, the other is a side picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0438.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	97314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0435.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	97315  

Old 03-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Libertyville , Illinois
Magic Chef Oven from 1971 Safari

Here is a front view
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	97317  
Old 03-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Libertyville , Illinois
Here is the topview
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0423.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	97322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	97323  

Old 03-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

I'll look at mine tonight and let you know if it's a match. I have what looks like the same oven as yours, even the rust.

Rich the Viking
Old 03-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Libertyville , Illinois
All the mouse nests as well?!? It has been cleaned nicely and the rust has been sanded off so it is improved from these pictures. Camping World has the stove for repair- they have a few parts they need so if this the same stove we may need to get some other things for it. You can email me directly erinirwin@comcast.net.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
All the mouse nests as well?!? It has been cleaned nicely and the rust has been sanded off so it is improved from these pictures. Camping World has the stove for repair- they have a few parts they need so if this the same stove we may need to get some other things for it. You can email me directly erinirwin@comcast.net.
The model number is one of the following.

BT 18 GS or BT 22 GS

The 18 or 22 number tells it's vertical height.

Other than the vertical dimension, the stove/oven is the same.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Libertyville , Illinois
BT 18 GS appears to be a partial model number... I keep finding additional numbers and letters following BT 18gs such as: 4, 4s, 4stx, 4t, 4tw, 4tx, 4tz, 4w, 4x, 4z
Old 03-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

I checked my burner rings and they are 3" across and not removable. Any luck from other sources?
Rich the Viking