Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
1963 16' Bambi
1971 21' Globetrotter
Marbletown , New York
Magic Chef Stove

I'm working on my '76 and I need some help with information about the stove. I've looked a a number of threads from others but can't find the info need.

The label hat had the Modle# on it is un-readable. If, by chance, the stoves are the same - can someone give me the number?

Everything seems to work on the stove so my needs are cosmetic. The stove top has quite a bit of surface corrosion on it. Is there a way that I can refinish the existing top? It looks like it is stainless steel with a "brushed" finish. Mine has been scrubbed so much I can't tell what the finish was.

I've read about people using "High Temperature" Paint. Was there any conclusion about using the paint what kind? The type sold for automotive exhaust parts? Is there something else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3833.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	75623  
Stone Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
I just resurfaced mine using appliance epoxy from lowes looks good I don't know how it will hold up on the long haul! (lots of sanding on the prep)
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Carlsbad , California
I have a 76 Trade Wind and the stove looks the same. The Model No. is BT22GS-4T-M2. Hope that helps.
Jfuller678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
I was at Home depot last week and knew that when I did my renovations to my '74 AS that I would have to replace my stovetop....Home depot had a stove top that stated it would convert from natural gas to propane. Has anyone used one of these, and if so, how easy or difficult was it to convert to propane???? I am also considering getting a 'instant' hot water device and doing away with my original hot water heater. It no longer works and I was wondering if I should order a new hot water heater for my AS or get one of the 'waterless' tanks???
Old 02-17-2009, 03:25 AM   #5
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Don't know what you mean by corrosion on stainless steel. If it is stainless may I suggest you get one of those wire brushes that goes in your drill and polish it up with that?

I have used this method on stainless steel sinks for years when renovating old houses and they always come up looking like new.

If you want high temp paint yes there is a special paint used on car exhaust manifolds and headers. It can get red hot and not burn off. You get it at auto supply stores. This is header paint NOT engine enamel.

Also there is a company called "Eastwood" that sells car restoration supplies. They have different finishes including one that mimics shiny vitreous enamel.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
1963 16' Bambi
1971 21' Globetrotter
Marbletown , New York
I'm not sure what the metal stove top is. It is pitted deeply and even though I've sanded and wire brushed the corrosion it is still bad. There is no chrome plating peeling so I assumed that it was stainless. The pitted areas are primarily in areas that liquid would collect.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I refinished mine last year year by wet sanding the top with WD 40 and fine emery cloth and then finished it up with fine steel wool. Looks good. Time will tell on how long that will last before I have to hit it again with steel wool.
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
1963 16' Bambi
1971 21' Globetrotter
Marbletown , New York
Thanks all for the info. I think that I'll try to keep the original appearance and stay with the bare metal look. I'll have to start with something much more tha the emery cloth though. If this is not satisfactory I'll go with the Auto finish or the epoxy - I've used them both in the past.

I'll et you know in a month or two. The first priorities is to finish the construction of the cabinets.
Thanks again
Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I found a NOS Magic Chef oven door glass insert at my local RV repair place. This guy has been in business for many years and was, 25 years ago, an official A/S repair shop. He had some parts laying around from the old days. I was lucky with that find but be aware that old A/S repair shops might still have some NOS parts laying around...like a stove top. Does anybody know of a data base of old A/S repair shops that are no longer affiliated with A/S? My local guy quit being one due to the fact that A/S was forcing him to keep a certain monetary amount of parts on hand and he could not afford it. He is still a wiz with Airstreams however, he works on a lot of them.
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote