Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Zephyrhills , Florida
Magic Chef Oven doesn't function properly

I have a 72 century rv that is very similar to an Airstream. Inside I have a Magic Chef 4 burner stove top with oven below. The stove works great. The oven has issues. The oven burner will light but it will not stop at the set temperature, it just keeps rising. I realize that there was another post with a similar problem listed but i was unable to acquire any useful information from it. The range model number is 1370 A. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.
adamnsari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Pull the oven temp knob and see if there is an adjustment screw - either in the opening around the knob or down in the shaft that the knob came off of. You may be able to correct the problem with that adjustment only. Mine is down inside the shaft on a 71 wall mount.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:57 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Zephyrhills , Florida
It's not that the temperature setting is out of adjustment but that the main burner does not cycle off whatsoever.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:32 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Here's a copy of the Magic Chef Guide that came with our 76. It has a troubleshooting section that be of some use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MX-M620N_20081211_203832.pdf (1.11 MB, 340 views)

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsari1 View Post
It's not that the temperature setting is out of adjustment but that the main burner does not cycle off whatsoever.
I'm just giving you what the manual says for "run away' oven - the easy solutions/causes:

-foil lining the bottom or shelves in the oven

- gas selector not set to LPG

- adjust oven temp. regulator screw setting (refers you to the procedure)

- check for cracked capillary gas feed line

From there it gets more complex and involves replacing parts.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Zephyrhills , Florida
alright, The manual was quite helpful but still I could not figure anything out. All of the gas lines are in great shape, tried adjusting the temp calibration but still no luck. Gas selector is properly set to LP. I did however read in the magic chef manual that was provided that there is a 45 second delay on the burner but is not the case with my oven. As soon as I turn the oven dial to 150 the burner kicks on and will stay on heating the oven beyond 400 degrees without any notion of cycling off. Could this be the temperature responsive unit or am I looking at getting a new thermostat control period? If this is the case, is there a way to dismantle the control itself to check for something stuck wide open maybe?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
The sensor element is probably kaput. If it's cracked you wouldn't necessarily be able to see it.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
The thermostat control is broken. The "capillary" line to the temperature sensing bulb inside the oven has leaked out its fluid. Now the control is stuck open. It is either "full on" or "full off." The fix is a new control and, on a unit that old, probably requires disassembling a portion of the paneling.
VeniceLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Lightbulb The MAGIC is gone!

adamnsari1,

Sounds like the "Magic" portion of your Magic Chef oven has leaked out or somehow escaped. This is similar to letting the Jeanie out of the bottle and not all that uncommon.

Some owners report success with potions, incantations or amulets, but you should really just buy a new Jeanie.

If your stove is in otherwise good shape and just missing "Magic", you might want to consider replacing the temperature sensing bulb Witch comes with the "Magic" sealed inside the bulb. You just might save yourself a costly stove replacement.

Abracadabra

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Zephyrhills , Florida
Update. Today I found a replacement thermostat unit at a local RV parts dealer and installed it. Funny thing, I still have the exact same problem. Wow. The oven just continues to heat no matter what the temperature setting. What now?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I agree with the previous posters. I had the same overrun problem with my oven and I fixed it with a new thermostat and capillary tube.

No chance that the capillary tube in the new thermostat was bent or kinked? If it had been in stock for a long time, maybe it lost all its gas.

I ordered a fresh new unit and it works fine. It does overshoot about 25 degrees during preheat, then it settles down to +/- 10 degrees.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:24 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I agree with the previous posters. I had the same overrun problem with my oven and I fixed it with a new thermostat and capillary tube.

No chance that the capillary tube in the new thermostat was bent or kinked? If it had been in stock for a long time, maybe it lost all its gas.

I ordered a fresh new unit and it works fine. It does overshoot about 25 degrees during preheat, then it settles down to +/- 10 degrees.
Where did you purchase the thermostat from?
fuselage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I have the same problem, run away stove.