Old 10-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
Magic Chef for sale?

I am overhauling a 66 Overlander Twin 26. Since I am not doing a 100% restoration, I plan to eliminate the oven (my wife doesn't even use the one in the house) and replace it with a microwave oven. I see people looking for oven parts, so I assume there may be buyers for the whole unit. I even have the original Magic Chef warranty papers, which shows it to be a Model 700, 701. I will look on the oven the next time I work on it. The previous owner must have kept every piece of paper to this thing, I even have a Harper-Wyman cookbook. I am sure I will have to modify the cabinet for the microwave. Has anyone else out there done a similar swap? I would like to see pics, if so. Thanks, Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1358.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	866.9 KB
ID:	47178  

Old 10-14-2007, 12:23 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Jonestown , Texas
Hi Tom, I am in the processs of doing the same thing. I used the oven in our Airstream once or twice in the past 5 years. I have noticed though that there are several other people on here that have gotten rid of thier ovens so it is not a rare thing.
-Christi

- Christi & Patrick
christiandpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Oven OUT, Microwave IN.

I posted this http://www.airforums.com/forums/f426...ave-36501.html thread recently.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
I have some Q's for you.

1. I see no stove top or knobs for the burners on the front of the range? Oven only?
2. Does it work?
3. How much are you asking?

Our Magic Chef needs a thermostat and we need to decide how to proceed - replace an expensive part (if available), buy new or used.

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:22 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Hi Tom,
If still available, I'm interested in the H-W thermostat, H-W oven safety valve and pilot light assembly, the broiler pan and the front knobs.
Thanks, Walter
Old 10-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
will test

I am still gutting the interior. As soon as I get a chance I will check to see that the oven works properly. I'll get a better pic too. All the knobs are there. This is an oven only, the cooktop is on the opposite counter by the sink. Tom
Old 10-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Oven questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we
I have some Q's for you.

1. I see no stove top or knobs for the burners on the front of the range? Oven only?
2. Does it work?
3. How much are you asking?

Our Magic Chef needs a thermostat and we need to decide how to proceed - replace an expensive part (if available), buy new or used.

sue
Sue, What you are not aware of is that in larger (longer) trailer models (such as the Overlander in this case) the ovens and cooktops are separate items and are located in separate areas of the galley (kitchen). In Toms' picture you can see the three (inline) burners cover from the cooktop in the center island of his galley. If you can send me a picture of the thermostat and the other parts you may need I will see if I have them on the Magic Chef stove/oven that I have in the garage. I have it to use for parts. If I have what you need then we can decide on a price + shipping. You can PM me here or e-mail me at caredcarver@aol.com. hope this will help. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Thanks Tom and BIGED for your replies. I'll keep them in mind & we'll see where it goes. Also, we are under the impression that the replacement thermostat part number must match the original part number exactly or it won't work. Anyone have the facts on that?

sue

ps upon closer look (after I posted) I figured out the cook top was separate - don't know how I missed that in the first place. duh
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Old 08-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Oroville , California
i would like to replace the cook top burners in my land yacht with an oven/burner combo.
I just got the Land Yacht because my house burned down, and I had an r.v. oven/stove
(also burned) which i would often take camping in order to make pizza and cake in camp

If anyone has an oven that might work, let me know. (i do not know the dimensions)

I also need to replace the microwave--it had a magic Chef unit.

Laurel
Old 08-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Hi Laurel,
So sorry to hear about the loss of your home and hope your AS serves your needs well. Look in your cook top manual for the specs if you have it. It is somewhat important you know the dimentions of the opening for the stove - I know this from personal experience. Of course, a too small opening can be made larger but the new replacement we bought for our AS was a bit small for the opening. Ike and a friend added metal strips to the sides of the stove because the opening was about 1/2" to large. Another bracket was needed at the bottom front for support and to cover a 2" open space. There is currently a 1/2" - 3/4" open space between the stove and counter top at the back. I understand a knife rack can be fashioned for that space and I'd like to see about doing that.

Best wishes with your new "adventure" Laurel, and do keep us posted on how things play out for you. There are a number of "full timers" on the forums, not to mention a large membership ready and able to offer advise if your needs are long term or temporary and/or should you need help.

Sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Old 08-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin' home View Post
i would like to replace the cook top burners in my land yacht with an oven/burner combo.
I just got the Land Yacht because my house burned down, and I had an r.v. oven/stove
(also burned) which i would often take camping in order to make pizza and cake in camp

If anyone has an oven that might work, let me know. (i do not know the dimensions)

I also need to replace the microwave--it had a magic Chef unit.

Laurel

Laurel, I have a stove cooktop combo that I just took out of my 1966 Safari. It is a magic chef. I don't know if it works, I took it out before trying it. I am in Chico, just a few miles up the road. It has some rust on the surface. Let me know if you are interested.

NUTZ
Old 08-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
We found a place in Oklahoma City, OK that shipped our thermostat off and had it repaired as they don't make thermostat for the 1969 Magic Chef oven. If someone wants me to give you the name of the company please let me know.

PS it is going to be at least $100.00. That is the same price of a new one except they don't make them anymore.
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Oroville , California
I hope I can meet up with you...I am interested in this stove/oven. I am in Chico for now, (as a refugee) so am probably close by! Laurel
Old 10-29-2008, 12:24 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Oroville , California
the freebie stove had some problems..so I will not be installing it...may use it as a stand-
alone for camping cooking, but it would be risky to install.

I am still looking for an oven-only unit to use in my land yacht.

perhaps i will keep the burners after all...i didn't know they made
units that were only ovens...but that is what i am looking for now.