Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Alexandria , Virginia
Lighting Stove?

Although I figured out the oven with no problem, I can't figure out the stove top. The igniter knob seems broken, but even when I turn the main burner knob to start the gas and use a match I get nothing.
mizzadventur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Semi-Intelligent guesses

Do you SMELL propane when you turn on a burner?
Have you tried each burner in turn and are you getting no fire on ALL burners?

I wonder if you have two shutoff valves, one for the hob (stovetop) and the other for the oven. If you do a logical place to look would be under the burner units. Not all that familiar with your year model, but on mine the pan surrounding the burners lifts up from the front so you can clean crumbs, etc. If it's "new to you" be prepared to be grossed out because the former owner may not have known that it could/should be cleaned. Look of anything that looks like a shutoff valve, likely to be on the back side. Turn it on IF the burners appear to be in decent condition and clear of debris. Attempt to light with a match or lighter.

It's possible you propane pressure may be too high or too low. If it's on the high end it can be hard to light a burner at full blast, so crank it back a bit for a subsequent trial.

On very old stoves (and yours isn't) the little flame holes might be clogged. They can be cleaned with pipe cleaners.

-------------------------------------------
THIS point is where I call in a pro. Science experiments can go BOOM.

You might have a crimp in a propane line.

You might have liquid in a propane line. Propane has small amounts of water in it, and a line that isn't purged once in a while can fill with water. Propane gas will bubble through this for a while, but eventually the clog will stop the flow.

Good luck, Paula
Old 04-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzadventur View Post
Although I figured out the oven with no problem, I can't figure out the stove top. The igniter knob seems broken, but even when I turn the main burner knob to start the gas and use a match I get nothing.
On mine, to light it you have to turn AND PRESS the knob to light it, whether I'm using the igniter or a long butane BBQ lighter to start it. Once it's lit, I can quit pressing down on the knob, and just turn it to the desired flame height.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Alexandria , Virginia
Many thanks to you both for the helpful answers. I always feel silly when I learn how simple the answer is - apparently I didn't press the knob in as I turned it. All is well now. I think that was the final frontier of all the basic things I've needed to learn since moving into the AS in March. Maybe I'll stop asking such novice questions. Hah! One can hope.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
If you have one of the Amana stoves, it's common for the ignitor knob to slip. Replacement knobs are available and inexpensive.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Alexandria , Virginia
Thanks Jammer!